From x-pro 1 to x-t1??

petergabriel

There are a lot of exellent condition used x-t1 around right now, so I am thinking of upgrading from my x-pro 1, as I think the new x-cameras are to expensive. My question is, will I feel any noticable speed differences between the two models? Is it worth an upgrade? I can get a mint condition x-t1 graphite silver for 670 euro. Go for it?

The Pro 1 is a special camera, but the T1 is a massive upgrade as far as auto focus goes

how much do you use the OVF? the EVF on the T1 is much better than the pro 1

it's your money :) If I had my hands on both at the same time, I'd pick the T1 every time.

Not sure I'd pick a used T1 now though, if it was only slightly cheaper than a new T20.

good luck

So, I have now used my "new" x-t1 for a couple of days, and wow!, I am impressed. I have tried the EVF before in a store, but damn, that thing is still huge.

The auto focus blows the x-pro 1 out of the water, no surprises there, but I am actually quite impressed by it on its own. In S mode it is really really fast and accurate (also in low light). E.g. it has none of the back focus issues I have encountered while trying the x-pro 2, and frankly I don't see any need to upgrade to the x-t2 any time soon in need of faster AF. And yes, 16Mp is perfectly adequate.

The only negative side to the camera is the well known d-pad buttons which, even on the graphite model with click feedback, are far to recessed. Still useable, but my fingers fumble to find the buttons. Also the face detection is not exactly lightning fast, but I guess it will be perfectly fine with eye detection enabled for portraits in good lightning.

Overall I am extremely happy with the x-t1 as I got it dirt cheap in mint condition and find it to be a great camera even though it is considered old in the digital age. The user before me had it for only 14 days, going for the x-t2 instead, but looking at his settings (high performance off) I am not sure he saw the cameras full potential before deciding to upgrade so fast :-)

Edited by petergabriel

Good that you like it!

I'm still ambivalent about mine; obviously it is way more advanced than the X-Pro1. But for me it's not way more fun.

If I knew what I know now, I am not sure if I would have bought the X-T1. Even with the €300 discount the camera was not exactly free. And I keep picking up my X-Pro1, because of the excellent OVF, and the feel in my hands.

Yeah, I also like the feel of the x-pro 1 better, but the improved AF has resulted in actually getting shots of my kids playing. I always gave up with the x-pro 1. Also I never use the OVF.

But trees and houses don't run that fast [emoji6]

Looking back, the X-Pro1 with the latest firmware updates does everything I need. OTOH, I have determined it's not really worth selling my X-T1; after all it is a very usable camera, which is especially good with manual focus lenses or for close-up photography.

Edited by johant