Remote flash sync issue at 250

monkeyboy4

Hi there,

Couldn't find any other topics in this. I was using my xt1 with Yong nuo 622 triggers and Bowens 500s no problem.

When using my new xt2 at 250 I get darkening along the edge of the photo. Something is not syncing somewhere but can't figure out what it is.

Bought a couple of cactus v6IIs as thought the triggers (canon Yong nuo 622s) may not be playing with the xt2 new flash protocol but same issue with then too

I once had a dark stripe at the bottom of an image when using a Profoto AirRemote/D4 pack at the 1/250 sync speed with the XT-2. I continued shooting at 1/125 to be on the safe side (it was a darkened studio, so no problem). Towards the end, I switched the camera and the trigger off and on and it didn't occur again. My takeaway is to use 1/125 where it doesn't matter (studio @ f8-11) and keep checking my frames from time to time when I need the higher sync speed (outside and/or open aperture).

Edited by albireo_double

Radio triggers introduce a slight flash sync delay - a few milliseconds between the signal being transmitted and being received. I find it's safest to set the sync speed on my XT2 to a max of 1/200 with my Yongnuo triggers, otherwise I often experience the darkening you describe. (As to why the results vary, I guess a range of other factors come into play as well, and maybe others can describe this better.)

I used the SB900 Nikon on top of the XT2 ( on A mode ) and had the same dark line on the bottom of the picture. It was at 1/250. When I took the pics at a speed of 1/200 it was ok. I think it is something whit the speed sincronization and the speed.

Petru

Edited by petru

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I had same issue with Elinchrom D-Lite RX4 and Skyport Transmitter Plus.. I had little black gradient with 1/250th, second photo..

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Jakku, do you have fresh batteries in the transmitters? I sync remote flash with my XT2 at 1/250 with no dark edges almost every day. The only time I had a black bar like that is when I accidentally bumped the wheel on the back that turned the shutterspeed up to 1/320. 

I've never used Skyport triggers so I'm not sure how they work, but can't you adjust the timing on them so the flash fires earlier or later? Maybe the timing is off? Or maybe I'm thinking about a different model of Skyports. Either way, I think the black bar is caused by the transmitters being a little slow.