The new Leica Q

I think this looks like a practical camera, for once. $4000+ is expensive, but compare that to say, a D610 with a high end prime, and it's not the massive price difference you get with something like the M.

I think the AF/MF implementation is amazing, and I like that it has an EVF. It seems like they managed to add modern features (like AF, wifi, and a touch screen) to a Leica without ruining the classic design philosophy. 

It'll be interesting to hear the real world feedback when the camera is actually released, and see how good the AF is, or if the camera has any quirks.  

Very nice indeed! Wish I had more money to burn. Leica is playing catchup and learned especially from the panny lx100. The macro ring looks really cool. I love how the lens has a focus tab, mechanical MF AND AF. When will Fuji finally ditch focus by wire?

I attended yesterday the launch event in Munich.

It's a fantastic camera with a Leica price tag...

The handling is superb, especially focussing.

But: It's focus by wire ;)

I had to ask but this was achnoledged by Stefan Daniel, head of product marketing.

Image results exhibited were impressive...

Andreas

Iirc, the Leica X, T, X-Vario and Q are all fly by wire

Imo that's not terrible news, as the (iirc) the Leica implementation has hard stops on the focus ring.

The Q is £2900rrp in the UK

1) that's a lot for a camera. Period. There's not that many (as a percentage of all cameras) cameras that cost more...

2) it's an insane amount for a fixed lens camera.

3) for a FF digital Leica body, with AF and a decent spec EVF, coupled with a 28mm 1.7 summilux, it's actually a lot cheaper than it could be....

Iirc, the Leica X, T, X-Vario and Q are all fly by wire

Imo that's not terrible news, as the (iirc) the Leica implementation has hard stops on the focus ring.

The Q is £2900rrp in the UK

1) that's a lot for a camera. Period. There's not that many (as a percentage of all cameras) cameras that cost more...

2) it's an insane amount for a fixed lens camera.

3) for a FF digital Leica body, with AF and a decent spec EVF, coupled with a 28mm 1.7 summilux, it's actually a lot cheaper than it could be....

I agree for the most part. If it proves that the iq is as good as a "real" summilux it isn't as expensive most people think. Considering the announced 28mm summilux (albeit f1.4 instead of f1.7) is € 4000-5000. That is a lens without AF and without a FF camera attached! I think this camera is a steal.

If I was invested in a Leica system I'd probably get the Q (second body) instead of the 28 f1.4 summilux.

I also prefer the x100 to the xf 23mm f1.4 lens. But in this situation the camera is more expensive then the lens.

As soon as I saw it, I know I wanted one. Not interested in Leica since the Film one, M6. I read about the information, sensor, AF speed.... and so one. It conforted me. I sold some stuff, Canon 5D MIII, Olympus E-M1, and bought the first one who arrived in my Leica store. And .... The Q is cute.... sensual camera for old Leica M (film) users. Leica is "Back to the future"......

On the Q: this from a recent facebook post by Peter Turnley:

"...I don't often speak about cameras, but think it could be useful to pass along that I had in my hand the new Leica Q camera which has autofocus with a 28mm F1.7 lens, and I think this may be a game changing camera for many street photographers.
© Peter Turnley, June 15, 2015..."

On the price of the Q and Leicas in general: I'll be sticking to my XE-1 and XF 18 f2. BUT considering what people spend on other hobbies, $4-5K isn't crazy  - just a matter of priority, when you consider what can be spent on golf equipment, bass boats, motorcycles (guilty), mountain bikes, antiques, or our other "addictions." 

2 things I've seen in this camera that I'd like to have in my Fuji gear:

- EVF, the way it represents the classic rangefinder's VF with lines indicating what is in frame and an outside section that allows to anticipate the action for a better composition.

- "Hard stops" in the lens focusing ring.

Between the Q and X100T I'd prefer the Fuji, because size, weight and the hybrid VF.

What I miss in the Q (and its price tag could afford it), a .90x or 1x magnification in the VF to complement those +3 million dots EVF).

• 4 weeks later...
I must have a masochistic side because I walked into a local Leica dealer to try the Q and I came away very impressed. My main body is an X-Pro1 with hand and thumb grip and I found the Q body on the small size, quite amazing knowing it has a 35mm sized sensor in it. For my meaty paws I'd have to get a Match Technical 'Thumbs Up' to fit my hand better. The EVF was beautiful and quick to refresh. Fit and finish of the body were of course top notch. The lens is also naturally gorgeous, sharp wide open and what you'd expect from Leica. The biggest surprise was the autofocus, very quick in decent light.

People will naturally scoff at the price but a Leica Summicron (which is f/2) alone goes for over $4k. For people who like to shoot street photography, especially with a 28mm, this is going to be very appealing. I think the new Q is going to do very well for Leica. When I asked about it the sales staff only had a demo on hand since they're still completing a backlog orders and have a wait list. If you're in the market  for this type of camera do at least give it a try. If you're visiting or in Chicago, check out Tamarkin Camera and try the Q.

Besides playing with my budget and seeing where to make adjustments, I'm still waiting on the sideline for the X-Pro2 but see the appeal in the Q and look forward to what future products Leica brings out.

Looks great but too wide.

Having used Leica digital in the past, the Fuji cameras work better in general in my opinion. They don't have the build quality but everything else about the Fuji is close enough to or better than the Leica. I don't think any of the Leica offerings are a reasonable value and they continue to not be. 

If given the choice and all other factors were equal I'd still take a Fuji body, or maybe I'd take this Q and sell it for a nice vacation that I would just bring the Fuji on. 

Unexpected... there's a rookie usability error - S/C drive modes are the wrong way around.

The power on/off switch doubles as a 'S' (single shot) and 'C' (continuous shooting) drive mode selector.

controldials-001.jpg?v=3199

Fact is, when you turn a 3-position switch, it's easier to hit the settings at each end of the stops, so these should be the most common settings i.e. OFF and ON/SINGLE-SHOT. Swtich should read OFF, C, S.

This is the kind of thing Fujifilm has been getting right with the X-series (e.g. AF switch) so kudos to them.

You never used a Leica, did you?

It's that way with every digital M and people never complained because the stops are just firm enough to not accidentally knock it all the way to C.

Fuji had the problem that the switch is just moved too easily.

You never used a Leica, did you?

It's that way with every digital M and people never complained because the stops are just firm enough to not accidentally knock it all the way to C.

Fuji had the problem that the switch is just moved too easily.

All you're saying is Leica got this wrong before. It's still wrong and good that Fuji copied the shutter/aperture manual/auto settings but not this approach to a 3-way switch. Impossible for me to make the point without appearing racist but German engineers are more likely to make this kind of mistake without realising it, because it appears rational in some way to an engineer. That's a reason there is so little successful end-user software to have come out of Germany. It's a serious point but I quite understand this can trigger a hate-crime accusation somewhere on the interweb.