RUMOR: Fuji X Flash delayed because of Metz insolvency! (New Source)

I’ve just received an email from a new source, with a bad news… if it’s true.

The source said that, during a Fuji event in Canada, a Fuji Guy told him that the long expected (and urgently needed) flash will be delayed, hence not come this spring as told us last year by a trusted source.

So was the trusted source wrong? No, it wasn’t. It’s just another case of a rumor shared too early. Fuji’s plan really was to launch this flash (rumored to be made by Metz) in spring, but the insolvency of Metz has changed everything…. the release of the flash has been pushed back.

I have no information about the fact if Fuji will continue to cooperate with Metz or if they are looking for a new partner.

The Metz debacle is old news (was discussed in other forums months ago) and did of course change everything. It meant Fuji had to look for a new partner. IIRC, they are now again in bed with Sunpak, which makes sense.

I hope we'll get new flash features and hardware in late 2015. Folks have long been waiting for HSS, wireless TTL etc., and it will happen eventually. The Nissin i40 already supports HSS.

The Metz insolvency is indeed old news... the fact that Metz was supposed to make the Fuji flash is also old news (I leaked this information already back in 2014).

There was never any official confirmation about the fact, that the Fuji flash was planed to be manufactured by Metz, and I also earned the usual shitstorm because saying it. Now I'm happy to hear that the sources were right... and also todays rumor.

Or better, I'm not really happy... there are rumors where I hope to be wrong. But apparently I'm not. Still a long way to go for the flash :(

Probably, I don't know for sure, and maybe Fuji doesn't either. We will know when there's an announcement. We do know that they publicly promised us a better flash system, so we know that one is coming eventually. Until then, speculation is futile, since non-public plans change very often, sometimes due to unforseen circumstances. Think of them as "plans in progress". Only a small percentage of rumors contains customer-relevant information that is set in stone (like the leaks that appear a few weeks/days before a new product release). Everything else is subject to change and may reflect Fuji's plans at some point in time. Most of the time, when such rumors make it to the public, they are already outdated because internal plans have already changed again.

Obviously, the Metz bankruptcy was unforseen. Similar fates can (and in fact did) hit other companies that produce essential parts of cameras or lenses. So more often than not, unexpected delays or feature changes may be the result of outside factors that can't be controlled and aren't publicized. Just think of the Tsunami that affected Fuji's camera factory or the Thailand flooding that affected Sony's sensor facility. There's always stuff that can go wrong when you are forced to change (or wait for) a manufacturer that builds vital components of your products.

Most of the time, when such rumors make it to the public, they are already outdated because internal plans have already changed again.

And that's what drives me mad. I post a rumor, Fuji changes (or has already changed) plans, the rumor is outdated... it happened often in the past.

And also this can happen:

1) Fuji plans a product

2) I write a rumor about it

3) Fuji drops plans for the product

4) I write that Fuji killed plans

--- Shitstorm on FR ---

5) After 2 years, Fuji has plans again to make

6) The rumor that was right, then wrong, is now right again.

--- Shitstorm on FR ---

I tell you, running a rumor site is not easy at all. ;)

I tell you, running a rumor site is not easy at all. ;)

I tell you, Fuji would be so happy if you stopped running a rumor site. ;)

I have indeed seen a handful of cameras that were planned (with renderings and key specs and all) that were shot down.

I think that's normal and not restricted to the camera industry. Car makers do it, too, but at least they often show "studies" at trade shows to gauge the reaction of the media and public. Plus, you can catch an "Erlkönig" now and then.

In any case, I don't think the folks who run other camera rumor sites have an easier life. Maybe Sonyrumors, because Sony seems to build EVERY single camera someone thought of anytime. ;)

but I hope Fuji will make it first

Doubt it.

Personally, I'd rather hope they offer the best package.

I started lobbying for MF in 2013. Others like Zack Arias joined in later. Toshi spoke about looking into MF in an interview earlier this year, so no wonder speculation is flying. The only thing I didn't understand is why it took so long for this to become a rumor. After all, the interview was published on dpreview—months ago.

Well, so there are hopes that your lobbying was succesful :)

I remember the interview with Toshi, I've shared it on FR. I remember Toshi also loved the idea of a monochrome camera... does this mean Fuji will also make it, along with the MF camera? Is it strange that no source told me about? Should I quickly post a rumor "fuji will make a monochrome camera?"

Does the fact that Toshi mentioned MF and monochrome automatically mean they will make them both?

I don't know... maybe. What I know is that I can share rumors only when I get them from sources (and I have their permission to share them).

Sometimes sources see products coming months (or years) ahead of the release, sometimes they don't see it coming until days before the announcement (X-A2 XQ2)... and sometimes they see things coming that do not exist. That's the way rumors go ;)

I was sure the majority would want one

Most would probably want one, but only few would actually buy one.

Same with the 100-400 poll

If you would ask:

how much are you willing to pay for the 100-400?

~2000$ (f/4.5-5.6)

~2500$ (f/4-5.6)

~10000$ (constant f/4) 

I guess the poll would look a LOT different!

By the way I would vote for a 1000 horse power Ford Fiesta - but I would not buy one ;)

I ordered the Metz back in 12/14 with a B&H rebate offer and a February predicted delivery.  It kept getting deferred to new dates but I wasn't desparate for it as I thought of it as simply a good, little TTL fill flash.  Last week, after the latest deferral, I used the credit toward the i40 Nissin and have to say, after reading mixed reviews of the Metz from other camera brands that it made it market for, I'm glad I ended up with Nissin.  Reasonable quality (might have expected more for the price, though) and I actually like the accuracy, coverage and predictable results.

My biggest interest in the Metz involvement with Fuji was the hope that they would then produce modules and versions of their serious flash units for the X series.  If they do, it's likely a ways off.

• 3 weeks later...