Get the 56mm f1.2 lens or wait for the 50mm f2?

hjalmarg1

The 56 is unique. I have had many lenses for Fuji but nothing that offers such a unique look as the 56. Have not tried the new 50 but the 56 is one of my all time favorite lenses. See attached. OOC, Velvia, X-pro2. 56mm/1.2. Natural light.

Edited by Tedsc456

If the improvement in focusing speed on the 50 is anything compared to the new 23 f2 and 35 f2 than there is no choice for street.

I have the 56 1.2 and it is a DOG at night .

It's has really poor AF performance (on the X-T2)

I'm looking forward to the increase in AF speed and the reduction in size/weight.

• 4 weeks later...

I have been hesitant about geeting the 56mm f1.2 because its steep price compare to other Fuji lenses. I know is a terrific lens for portraiture but also seems to be slow to fucus and a bit larger than other lenses.

I am mostly about street photo but occasionally I want to take portraits so I'd like a lens with fast AF and capable of producing good bokeh.

What would you do?

I had the same dilemma. Ultimately I went for the 56mm for the shallower depth of field. I know if I figured it would be cheaper in the end as I would have ended owning both. I tend not to sell lenses once I have them.

• 2 weeks later...

In my opinion, there is a HUGE difference in AF speed using the XF56/1.2 with the X-T1 vs. the X-T2! My XF56/1.2 coupled to my X-T2 is surely not the fastest lens I have, but the difference between the XF35/2 and the XF56/1.2 gets much smaller and it is really usable in most situations, especially in low light.

As I love the very special look at f/1.2 and stunning sharpness of the XF56/1.2 (see below, just as an example), I would never switch to the XF50/2. However,  I have to admit that I mainly use this lens for portraits. If fast AF tracking is really needed or I only had the X-T1 (or similar), I would at least think about the new lens. 

Beautiful portrait. You make a great case for getting the 56mm 1.2 over the 50mm 2.0 or 60mm 2.4.

I have the 60mm macro lens and was wondering if I should get the 56mm lens for portraits???

FWIW, I purchased the 50mm/2 last weekend and have managed to have a bit of a 'play' with it since then. So far I'm really impressed. It has a great quality feel to it (nice aperture and focus ring action), is very sharp wide open and focus is quick and accurate on my Pro2. The only slightly unsettling thing is that it is dead silent when focusing. You'd think the green box in the viewfinder would be enough to tell me when focus has been acquired, but it would seem I've become accustomed to listening for when other lenses stop hunting to judge when focus is achieved. So, for now at least, I've turned back on the camera beep for when focus is locked. Haha.

Edited by Qiki