To those upgrading to X-T2 from X-T1, worth it?

ErikN

Hi!

I'm really on the fence about upgrading from my X-T1 to the X-T2. It has a lot of improvements I like, usable video being one of them, but at the end of the day it comes down to image quality.

I have heard a lot of conflicting opinions about the image quality of the X-T2 compared to the X-T1. Some say it's way better, others say it's missing the Fuji magic from the earlier generations. I love the image quality of my X-T1.

So, upgrading to the X-T2 is a significant expense and if the magic isn't there then it may be a mistake upgrading.

How do those of you that have upgraded feel about it? Any regrets? Was it worth it?

If you have both then which do you prefer image quality wise?

I'm talking OOC JPEG here mostly as RAW can be processed to taste either way, but any opinions from owners is appreciated. Don't want to spend the money and then be disappointed by the image quality.

Thanks,

Erik

I've never read the image quality of the x-trans III sensor being a downgrade compared to II. Even people who complained that the x-trans II lost some of the `magic' of the x-trans I are saying that the x-trans III's `magic' is much closer to the first generation than the second gen. (X-T1 has second gen)

Note that this is completely subjective, since the technical specs are definitely way beyond earlier gens, so I suggest comparing images to see which one you prefer.

Edited by Florian

Just got a X-T2 two weeks ago ( had a X-T10 before, which I love), and for everything else than couple of major issues (for me) it's a beast!

Two big issues though:

1. The Auto-exposure on the X-T2 sucks, and almost always underexposes. It prioritises highlights to a degree, where it's not nearly as usable for SOOC jpeg shooters and the X-Trans II gen. cameras. I really wish that would fix this. My older X-T10 nailed exposure 99% correct.

2. The film sims. need some tweaking to match the X-Trans II equivalents. Some are better though. Velvia and Astia for example.

Things that are a real improvement from my X-T10 was:

1. Autofocus performance. Fantastic. Even with my 35mm 1.4 R, which was super slow on the X-T10, is now it's super fast.

2. Waxy skin tones from ISO 1600 and above is gone!

3. High ISO performance. I am going back and forth if the new sensor really is 1 stop better, or if it's just the noise characteristic that's different and better. Can't say for sure.

4. Overall performance. Fast fast fast. Startup, Playback, everything.

5. Acros simulation

6. Resolution

7. Detail of the new sensor. There is a difference. Small, but noticeable.

Just got a X-T2 two weeks ago ( had a X-T10 before, which I love), and for everything else than couple of major issues (for me) it's a beast!

Two big issues though:

1. The Auto-exposure on the X-T2 sucks, and almost always underexposes. It prioritises highlights to a degree, where it's not nearly as usable for SOOC jpeg shooters and the X-Trans II gen. cameras. I really wish that would fix this. My older X-T10 nailed exposure 99% correct.

2. The film sims. need some tweaking to match the X-Trans II equivalents. Some are better though. Velvia and Astia for example.

1. Autofocus performance. Fantastic. Even with my 35mm 1.4 R, which was super slow on the X-T10, is now it's super fast.

3. High ISO performance. I am going back and forth if the new sensor really is 1 stop better, or if it's just the noise characteristic that's different and better. Can't say for sure.

5. Acros simulation

6. Resolution

How are you metering? That can make a big impact on autoexposure. My X-T2 has no issues at all with AE. 

Dual SD slots are very good for peace of mind.  I have XT2 slot 2 setup to backup slot 1.  I've never had an SD card failure yet, but knowing there is a backup happening as I shoot images I cannot shoot again ... it is a great peace of mind.

I find the Velvia processing of the XT2 to be better than the XT1.  The XT1 over saturates a bit and is noticeable if used on people when they are shot close up.  The XT2 Velvia is really nice for everything.

Don't know if that will help OP or not ... ?

Yes, dual slots is something I have really missed. I have been dealing with computers and electronics long enough to know that any type of storage can fail at any time. I currently don't do any paid work in photography, but I'm still always a bit nervous of my SD card failing. I don't want to lose any photos.

I have noticed that the X-T1 easily oversaturates the red channel in Velvia, and greens can be a bit intense too. I love using Velvia, but sometimes I can't because of oversaturation. If the X-T2 Velvia is better then great!

It helps, thanks!

I have X-T2 since 09/2016. If you need very fast and accurate AF-C focus, large files and joystick, or you need very capable video features, so is the X-T2 most better as X-T1. With power grip and XF 50-140 you have the same or better focus capability as top Canon or Nikon (for sport ect.). The image quality is not too different.

For me have X-T2 better AWB in difficult light conditions - for example concert, theatre ect.

I have found AWB to be really good in my X-T1, so if the X-T2 is even better thats great.

I've never read the image quality of the x-trans III sensor being a downgrade compared to II. Even people who complained that the x-trans II lost some of the `magic' of the x-trans I are saying that the x-trans III's `magic' is much closer to the first generation than the second gen. (X-T1 has second gen)

Note that this is completely subjective, since the technical specs are definitely way beyond earlier gens, so I suggest comparing images to see which one you prefer.

The difficult thing about comparing images that you have not taken yourself is that you really have no idea about the conditions the image was taken in. I tend to find image examples from the X-T2 to look a bit stale and boring compared to what I'm used to from my X-T1, but I have also seen a few really great ones that I really like. I think I need to use both myself to find out how they compare for me.

I do have an X-M1 as well, which is a first gen X-Trans, and I'm not using it enough with different film simulations to really learn how it differs from the 2nd gen, but I can clearly see a difference. Sometimes I like the look of the X-M1 better, and sometimes the X-T1.

Two big issues though:

5. Acros simulation

6. Resolution

I'm not too concerned about the AE. My X-T1 tends to underexpose slightly on the meter, but that's what the EV comp dial is for  :). If anything, I think the X-T2 will give me better exposures with it's brighter viewfinder. I tend to overexpose on bright sunny days since the EVF looks so dark. The live histogram helps a lot.

I like that Velvia is better. It's my favorite, but my most used one is Provia. I also like Pro Neg Hi sometimes. Hopefully they are just as good or better.

Interesting that the XF35 f1.4 is faster at focusing. I use it a lot, and have heard that it's better on the X-T2 than the X-T1, which is great.

Waxy skin tones is a huge problem, so that's a big one.

Overall performance improvements are great too, the X-T1 feels a bit sluggish. I wouldn't say slow, but sluggish.

Thanks everyone! I'm leaning towards upgrading. Would like to keep my X-T1 too, but my money tree is not growing  :unsure:  ;). Will wait and see if the battery grip deal will be available here at some point.

While this is very subjective.

I love the improvements on the X-T2, personally I find the colours output are nicer on the X-T2.

I was given a chance to play the X-T2 when it was loan to me... It blew me away considering X-T1 is a very good camera, areas where X-T1 struggles are almost resolved by X-T2.

As mentioned, I sold my X-T1 after getting my X-T2. Is not about a better camera but more on how personally you like to use it. I really enjoy shooting more with X-T2.

There are some things the XT-2 can do that the XT-1 can't.  Mostly it is the fast AF and 4k video, but if you don't use either of those then "no" not worth the expense.  As a hobbyist I like to shoot anything and everything so when I take out my 100-400 and go out to catch Birds in Flight the new AF is a MAJOR improvement and well worth the expense.  

However when I go out to shoot landscape the only advantage might be the larger sensor if I decide to print really BIG.  So definitely not worth the extra cost for that purpose.  As it is, I kept my XT-1 as a backup so I find occasionally carrying both cameras to allow me quick access for action with the XT-2 and also access for Macro or landscape without the hassle of changing lenses to be very handy.

You need to look at what you are going to be doing and if the changes provided by the XT-2 actually help in what you intend to use the camera for.  Then Yes it's worth it.  And "Yes" I LOVE my XT-2, it is GREAT!!

Edited by Lumens

I agree with that.

I owned the x-pro1, the X-T1 and now the X-T2

I am just reading trough this discussion and went back to the x-pro1 files and compared some of the pictures with x-t1 and x-t2. The "magic"-Factor of the x-t2 is closer to the x-pro1 than the x-t1.

I am not a professional and using the camera for fun only. 

In terms of usability and technical performance the x-t2 is way ahead of the x-t1.

I enjoy it a lot ;-))

I upgraded and still have both. The reason I upgraded and am happy with the T2 is the Autofocus and shorter delay in EVF blackout when shooting burst. I shoot a lot of action photos so this is a great choice for me.

If you don't need faster focus, video, or short blackout times then stay with the T1. Landscape, street, portrait...the T1 is still good enough.

I do love my T2 AND T1.

With the release of the X-T20, I think anyone with an X-T1 looking to upgrade needs to ask now whether they need the X-T2 or if the X-T20 makes the most sense. From what I have read and seen in reviews so far, the X-T20 looks more than capable as an X-T1 replacement for most people and is significantly cheaper than the X-T2. The X-T2 does have advantages, but the question is are they needed or worth the extra cost.

Thanks guys!

I have concluded that the X-T2 is worth the upgrade for me. I'm just waiting for some good deals. Not in a hurry.

The X-T20 is not an option for me. I need weather sealing and I like the extra physical controls and other features that are X-T2 exclusive. I do agree that it's a good idea to ask yourself if the X-T20 can fit your needs though.

Since I haven't see much mention of it in this thread, I'll chime in that I find the usability of the XT-2 dials to be tremendously improved over the XT-1, and that matters a lot to me. With my XT-1, I frequently would take a photograph expecting to produce a single exposure only to discover that I am actually in exposure bracketing mode because I accidentally turned that dial when adjusting the ISO dial above it. That doesn't happen with the XT-2. The dials are nice and firm, and I haven't turned any without meaning to.

I'll also say that my first day at the dog park taking photos of running dogs with the XT-2 yielded more usable, in-focus images than all of my previous attempts to capture dogs in action with the XT-1. 

Edited by Itsmel

I think anyone who upgraded to the X-T2 will think it's worth it ... they've spent the money already anyway ;)

I think it's really up to you; do you want the camera enough to justify spending the money?

I agree with you !!! Focusing  Speed - 8000 shutter speed - Customizable - Better Menu - Better battery life - Normal/Boost mode. - the Sensor - the 24MP (great for cropping) and many more ....

X-T2 is a huge step forward ,but it's still on the beginning and needs much more firmware improvements. For example , those who have been taking portraits only and used to the the super nice X-T1's skin tones ,they'll have to forget them for indoor and low light situations. X-T2's skin tones tend to be green/grey ,definetely worse than the previous generation. LCD and EVF preview isn't exaclty accurate and also i think auto white balance needs some improvements.If you're ok with the above ,everything else on the X-T2 is ok and easily called the camera of the year.

To be honest I recently upgraded from the X-T1 to the X-T2 because I was never totally happy with how the RAW files were rendered in LR. I thought the extra resolution of the X-T2 would help, but the improvement is modest at best, and still suffers heavily from the watercolour/worms effect that is well documented.

I downloaded a beta copy of Irident Developer today, and was hugely impressed with how it renders the RAF files. As an experiment I used it with an X-T1 image and then upsized the file to 6000 x 4000, and then made a direct comparison to the same photo taken with an X-T2 which had been processed in LR. They were identical!

I genuinely believe that if you are currently using an X-T1 with LR to process RAW files you could just buy a copy of Irident Developer, instead of buying an X-T2. I was going to sell my X-T1 and buy the X-T20 as a second body, but I'm not going to bother now.

Hi!

I'm really on the fence about upgrading from my X-T1 to the X-T2. It has a lot of improvements I like, usable video being one of them, but at the end of the day it comes down to image quality.

I have heard a lot of conflicting opinions about the image quality of the X-T2 compared to the X-T1. Some say it's way better, others say it's missing the Fuji magic from the earlier generations. I love the image quality of my X-T1.

So, upgrading to the X-T2 is a significant expense and if the magic isn't there then it may be a mistake upgrading.

How do those of you that have upgraded feel about it? Any regrets? Was it worth it?

I'm talking OOC JPEG here mostly as RAW can be processed to taste either way, but any opinions from owners is appreciated. Don't want to spend the money and then be disappointed by the image quality.

Thanks,

Erik

I think the the following is and will be true for any of the new bodies:  the 24mpx sensor is a big improvement over the older 16mpx for several reasons but to me the most important is the improvement in dynamic range.  It's ver obvious to me when I compare processing in LR.

Two big issues though:

5. Acros simulation

6. Resolution

I would agree that the autoexposure algorithm has changed a bit on the X-T2 relative to the X-T1 and there is an emphasis when using the Pattern metering mode for "exposing to the right." If one is going to expose in one direction or the other, this is in fact the correct direction because there is more data in the image in the highlights than in the shadows. This has to do with how the camera bins the data when it converts the real image to a digital representation. I will say that the dynamic range on the X-T2 is considerable, and if highlights appear blown in the JPEG preview one obtains when using the camera in the Pattern mode, you can almost always fully recover highlight detail of the RAW image. If it is still an issue, though, try the "center-weighted exposure mode" on the X-T2, which meters more along the lines of the Pattern (Multi) mode of the X-T1. 

Edited by Puma Cat

Hi!

Thanks,

Erik

I have both and like both very much. Regarding out and out performance, the X-T2 is a major step up over the X-T1 is many different areas, most notably AF performance, overall responsiveness of the camera, resolution, etc. 

Regarding image quality...that depends on what you specifically mean by image quality, and you haven't specified exactly what you mean. There is obviously more resolution. Regarding other more subjective attributes e.g. tonality, gradation, dimensionality, I would say that the X-T2 is comparable, but somewhat superior to the X-T1. A lot of this is subjective and depends on many different factors, e.g. the quality of light, the lens, the scene, the amount of light relative to shadow, the intention of the photographer, etc. etc. I will say that the X-T2 has notably more dynamic range than the X-T1 and as a consequence, much more editing headroom.   

Hope this helps. 

Edited by Puma Cat

Worth it? Definitely! I switched from the X-T1 to the X-T2 as soon as I could.

My X-T1 always hesitated for an instant when I pushed the shutter button. This was irritating -- and the X-T2 fixes this. It is more responsive. And it has a nice, quiet shutter sound. A Sony A7 camera sounds like a small gun in comparison to the X-T2.

Some other improvements:

- The Acros film simulations! They are so good that they are worth half the price of the camera.

- The autofocus joystick. Every camera should have one.

- High ISO performance. With the X-T1, ISO 51,200 was nothing but a bad joke. The T2 is usable all the way up to 51,200 -- and we can now shoot RAW at all ISO settings. When you use Acros, even jpegs at high ISO settings look good.

- The battery meter works as it should. It doesn't drop from half full to PANIC.

- You don't need to push down a tiny locking button to change ISO.

And of course Fuji wouldn't be Fuji if the camera didn't have some quirks and inconsistencies.

- We got a "My menu", but certain settings can't be added to it. No idea why.

- The buttons on the camera back are still too small and too shallow, making them difficult to click.

- We can now see battery level in percent, but only on the LCD, not in the EVF.

Hi ErikN,

I struggle a lot with back button focus on the X-T1, how is this improved on the X-T2? haven't read about it.

Cheers!

Back button AF is available in all focus modes, so it's easy to switch between AF-S and AF-C. In AF-S and AF-C the focus ring is disabled on the lens too as far as I know, which should help with accidental refocus (which has happened a few times for me)

To be honest I recently upgraded from the X-T1 to the X-T2 because I was never totally happy with how the RAW files were rendered in LR. I thought the extra resolution of the X-T2 would help, but the improvement is modest at best, and still suffers heavily from the watercolour/worms effect that is well documented.

I downloaded a beta copy of Irident Developer today, and was hugely impressed with how it renders the RAF files. As an experiment I used it with an X-T1 image and then upsized the file to 6000 x 4000, and then made a direct comparison to the same photo taken with an X-T2 which had been processed in LR. They were identical!

I genuinely believe that if you are currently using an X-T1 with LR to process RAW files you could just buy a copy of Irident Developer, instead of buying an X-T2. I was going to sell my X-T1 and buy the X-T20 as a second body, but I'm not going to bother now.

A good point for sure, but resolution and image quality is not the reason I'm considering to upgrade. It's the small but significant improvements all over. Dual card slots, better bracketing and snappier overall performance to name a few, but the biggest reason is that the X-T1 is almost impossible to handle with thick gloves.

I live in Sweden. It's very cold here for a significant amount of time per year. ISO is difficult since the dial is always locked and forget about using the directional pad to change focus points and navigate menus. The joystick should provide a much needed improvement in handling here.

There are a few things I would love to see in a firmware update for the X-T2 though. Bug fixes and general improvements for sure, but also things like the new exposure bracketing system from the GFX, more selectable aspect ratios (4:3, 5:4), RGB histogram and highlight clipping warning for example.

Some hardware improvements would be nice too, like the new lock button from the GFX for the LCD which doesn't require sliding it, just a push (subtle but nice improvement). And even though I'm not a huge fan of a touchscreen I still find it useful for focus pulling in video. The GFX has one, the X-T20 has one and the X70 has one. The X-T2 not having one seems a bit odd now that both it's smaller alternative and the new medium format beast has one.

Knowing Fujifilm they won't release an X-T3 for a couple of years, and I like that they don't release new models almost before the previous one hits the store shelves (hi Sony), and instead improves their cameras by firmware until there's a good reason to release a new model. I can't help but feel though that it would make sense to add a touchscreen. X-T2s maybe? Probably not. I would still take a joystick over a touchscreen any day if I had to choose.

Worth it? Definitely! I switched from the X-T1 to the X-T2 as soon as I could.

My X-T1 always hesitated for an instant when I pushed the shutter button. This was irritating -- and the X-T2 fixes this. It is more responsive. And it has a nice, quiet shutter sound. A Sony A7 camera sounds like a small gun in comparison to the X-T2.

Some other improvements:

- The Acros film simulations! They are so good that they are worth half the price of the camera.

- The autofocus joystick. Every camera should have one.

- High ISO performance. With the X-T1, ISO 51,200 was nothing but a bad joke. The T2 is usable all the way up to 51,200 -- and we can now shoot RAW at all ISO settings. When you use Acros, even jpegs at high ISO settings look good.

- The battery meter works as it should. It doesn't drop from half full to PANIC.

- You don't need to push down a tiny locking button to change ISO.

And of course Fuji wouldn't be Fuji if the camera didn't have some quirks and inconsistencies.

- We got a "My menu", but certain settings can't be added to it. No idea why.

- The buttons on the camera back are still too small and too shallow, making them difficult to click.

- We can now see battery level in percent, but only on the LCD, not in the EVF.

Yeah, the battery meter on previous models sure can be a source of anxiety sometimes. "You have plenty of power. No need to worry. Oh sorry. Just kidding. New battery please."

Although running those XT-2 files through Iridient will drastically improve them as well ;)! Just recently started using the program too, and love how it handles RAF files!