To those upgrading to X-T2 from X-T1, worth it?

ErikN

Hi!

I'm really on the fence about upgrading from my X-T1 to the X-T2. It has a lot of improvements I like, usable video being one of them, but at the end of the day it comes down to image quality.

I have heard a lot of conflicting opinions about the image quality of the X-T2 compared to the X-T1. Some say it's way better, others say it's missing the Fuji magic from the earlier generations. I love the image quality of my X-T1.

So, upgrading to the X-T2 is a significant expense and if the magic isn't there then it may be a mistake upgrading.

How do those of you that have upgraded feel about it? Any regrets? Was it worth it?

If you have both then which do you prefer image quality wise?

I'm talking OOC JPEG here mostly as RAW can be processed to taste either way, but any opinions from owners is appreciated. Don't want to spend the money and then be disappointed by the image quality.

Thanks,

Erik

Edited by ErikN

http://www.fuji-x-forum.com/index.php?s=1b9d42f7028849eeaf2ac3e948819247&app=googlecse#gsc.tab=0&gsc.q=X-T2%20problems

here the problems.

Advantages? Larger file, better video, faster autofocus, need for a bulky grip to advanced focus and video, joystick.

Do you plan to print any langer than 2 x 3 meter? Are you missing anything from your X-T1? 

Don’t upgrade fro the mere sake of upgrading.

No regrets. I love the X-T2's rapid focus and outstanding image quality, not to mention the many other improvements such as the focus joy stick, high-speed sync with the EF-X500, ISO and shutter speed push button controls, and so on. Hope you choose the X-T2 and get as much satisfaction from it as I do.

Here's what I'm missing:

• Good usable video
  • Better locking mechanism for the dials (ISO is a pain to change sometimes, not as bad as with film but still  ;))
  • AEB to +-2 EV (really missing this one from my Nikon)
  • Dual SD-card slots (really missing this one too)
  • Joystick, which will make it so much easier to use with gloves
  • Centered tripod mount (my table tripod gets out of balance sometimes with my X-T1)
  • Brighter EVF with auto brightness
  • LCD tilts in portrait mode

The improvements in back button AF are also very nice.

As if it's worth it or not... That's what I'm trying to figure out. Maybe I'll be better off getting a cheap M4/3 camera for video or something, but if the image quality is as good or better in terms of the Fuji magic, then it may be worth it.. Hence this thread  :)

No regrets. I love the X-T2's rapid focus and outstanding image quality, not to mention the many other improvements such as the focus joy stick, high-speed sync with the EF-X500, ISO and shutter speed push button controls, and so on. Hope you choose the X-T2 and get as much satisfaction from it as I do.

Thanks! HSS is not much of a factor for me right now, but 1/8000 mechanical shutter, and 1/250 flash sync are. Did you have an X-T1 before, and if so, any comments on OOC JPEG between the two?

then you are sold already.

I don’t miss anything, so I am not upgrading.

Well, yes and no.

If the complaints I have heard about the image quality are valid, then I'd have to give up all the improvements I like, because I won't pay to downgrade my image quality. However, I have a feeling that these are very individual complaints, and that most users are happy with it. Those happy users tend to be less vocal online (they are probably out using their cameras instead  ;)).

Edited by ErikN

If there are complaints it is a minority and the camera is good and if there are no complaints the camera is good.

So the camera is good whichever way.

It is one way to see it.

Anyway, I am not sold on what makes this a “ better” camera, for me, so I am not buying.

Don’t need faster autofocus, don’t need video, don’t need larger file, don’t need larger grip.

The Joystick would be nice.

Tough luck, I will live without.

I bought the XT2, fascinated by the improvements that are true, but, luckily I have not sold my XT1. Because, in the end, what counts for me is the quality of the image, both RAW and JPEG, and I must say that just do not understand all the reviews favorable to XT2 because the files are, in my opinion, well below the XT1, they are less "clean" and the noise is significantly increased. I'm thinking of selling it and continue to enjoy myself with my XT1.

Well, yes and no.

If the complaints I have heard about the image quality are valid, then I'd have to give up all the improvements I like, because I won't pay to downgrade my image quality. However, I have a feeling that these are very individual complaints, and that most users are happy with it. Those happy users tend to be less vocal online (they are probably out using their cameras instead  ;)).

It isn't a downgrade in IQ, but whether its any upgrade is debatable (depends on the circumstances). If you're not upgrading with hopes of better IQ, then I don't think you'll be very disappointed.

I bought the XT2, fascinated by the improvements that are true, but, luckily I have not sold my XT1. Because, in the end, what counts for me is the quality of the image, both RAW and JPEG, and I must say that just do not understand all the reviews favorable to XT2 because the files are, in my opinion, well below the XT1, they are less "clean" and the noise is significantly increased. I'm thinking of selling it and continue to enjoy myself with my XT1.

This is exactly what I'm afraid of. I can't afford to keep my X-T1 if I buy the X-T2, and if I regret the "upgrade" I will lose money going back.

It's a bit of a stretch for me financially right now anyways so I need to be sure it's the right way to go for me. If I like the image quality it's going to be worth it.

I like shooting in low light slightly under the meter and I have read the thread about low light performance and it is disconcerting.

Edited by ErikN

EricN, resistance is futile. You are well on the road to being convinced to purchase an X-T2.

And by the way you won't regret it!

Actually I have been sure I was going to upgrade ever since it was first released, but I'm becoming more and more hesitant.

Thanks! HSS is not much of a factor for me right now, but 1/8000 mechanical shutter, and 1/250 flash sync are. Did you have an X-T1 before, and if so, any comments on OOC JPEG between the two?

I much prefer the X-T2 OOC JPEGs to those of the X-T1. Don't know how to quantify it; I just find they have better presence, if that makes any sense. When I blow them up on the computer they seem to offer better definition and colour balance depending on the JPEG setting I am using. In fact, I rarely use RAW any more, as I am finding little need for it.

I much prefer the X-T2 OOC JPEGs to those of the X-T1. Don't know how to quantify it; I just find they have better presence, if that makes any sense. When I blow them up on the computer they seem to offer better definition and colour balance depending on the JPEG setting I am using. In fact, I rarely use RAW any more, as I am finding little need for it.

Ok, thanks. I have seen a few photos from X-T2/Pro2 that I really like. I did find them to have a sort of presence I haven't previously seen from a Fujifilm camera, and the colors seemed really well balanced. Sometimes I don't like the color balance of the X-T1.

I guess it's very subjective which one is better, and also in which situations one comes out on top of the other.

If only money grew on trees, then I could get the X-T2 and keep my X-T1 and find out the strengths and weaknesses of the different sensors and processors  :P. The wise thing to do here is of course to keep the X-T1 and get a lens or two, and save the rest of the money, but Fujifilm just keeps improving and making these great cameras...  :rolleyes:

I liked my X-T1 and thought the images were fine, but the camera itself was missing something. I was a Canon user previously. I sold the 5D MKII, but held onto the 6D for a few things. When the X-Pro2 came out, I ordered it right away. I loved the camera so much I sold my 6D and trying to use the X-T1 frustrated me because of the lack of joystick. I sold the X-T1 right away once the X-T2 was announced. It depends on what you are shooting as to how much of an improvement you will notice with the AF. I shoot a lot of wildlife and I feel like the AF improvement is huge. I don't do a lot of video, but I do appreciate the fact that I can if i want to. Everything you stated you're missing is there. If I didn't like it, I would have sold it already and went back to the X-T1. I really like the files from the new sensor, but obviously that is subjective. 

I liked my X-T1 and thought the images were fine, but the camera itself was missing something. I was a Canon user previously. I sold the 5D MKII, but held onto the 6D for a few things. When the X-Pro2 came out, I ordered it right away. I loved the camera so much I sold my 6D and trying to use the X-T1 frustrated me because of the lack of joystick. I sold the X-T1 right away once the X-T2 was announced. It depends on what you are shooting as to how much of an improvement you will notice with the AF. I shoot a lot of wildlife and I feel like the AF improvement is huge. I don't do a lot of video, but I do appreciate the fact that I can if i want to. Everything you stated you're missing is there. If I didn't like it, I would have sold it already and went back to the X-T1. I really like the files from the new sensor, but obviously that is subjective.

Thanks!

I do miss a few things from my Nikon days. The X-T1 beats everything I have used before in image quality, but leaves a bit to be desired in handling and performance. I haven't been able to shoot a decent hand held HDR since I switched for example. I love tastefully processed HDR.

Difficult decisions.

Having shot several weddings while using both XT1 and XT2 at the same time, the differences (all be it small) are pretty obvious when I'm bouncing back and forth.

The faster performance of the XT2 was immediately noticable for me at the first wedding I took my XT2 to.  The faster response of the shutter button first grabbed me.  The XT1 seems a bit slow now.  On paper it may be a small amount, but I immediately noticed it.  I only ever use single point autofocus so I didn't notice too much of a speed increase on the XT2, however love the focus joystick to move my focus point around.

Dual SD slots are very good for peace of mind.  I have XT2 slot 2 setup to backup slot 1.  I've never had an SD card failure yet, but knowing there is a backup happening as I shoot images I cannot shoot again ... it is a great peace of mind.

I find the Velvia processing of the XT2 to be better than the XT1.  The XT1 over saturates a bit and is noticeable if used on people when they are shot close up.  The XT2 Velvia is really nice for everything.

I do shoot video at the odd wedding (if they include it in their package) and the video from the XT2 is excellent.  I'm really happy with the quality.

In my experiences over the years we cannot simply compare a 16MP image to a 24MP image when comparing noise (which seems to be a big concern for some).  Take the 24MP image and resize it to 16MP and then compare 16 to 16.  I expect in that case the XT2 will match XT1 and in some cases exceed it.  This is something I learned and help me have a bit of perspective when I migrated from 10MP through 24MP Nikon cameras previously in my photography career.  When I compared D3s 12MP image to D610 24MP images ... the 24MP had more detail at base ISO, but once the ISO started to go up 24MP had more noise.  (Research the details on the 36MP D810 and you'll see the noise complaints of those that go a few stops above base.)  But when I saved the higher ISO 24MP as 12MP and compared ... I got a better one-for-one comparison and saw the win for the 24MP source.

Don't know if that will help OP or not ... ?

Edited by Adam Woodhouse

YES!  So many advantages (as listed above by other posters).   As a matter of fact, I just sold my last of the Nikon gear - the D800e and a 50mm after getting the X-T2 and comparing the 24mp to the 36mp.

Disadvantages?  Now having to deal with both bodies.  I wish they were both X-T2's, but yea, first world problems I guess.

Hi!

I'm really on the fence about upgrading from my X-T1 to the X-T2. It has a lot of improvements I like, usable video being one of them, but at the end of the day it comes down to image quality.

I have heard a lot of conflicting opinions about the image quality of the X-T2 compared to the X-T1. Some say it's way better, others say it's missing the Fuji magic from the earlier generations. I love the image quality of my X-T1.

So, upgrading to the X-T2 is a significant expense and if the magic isn't there then it may be a mistake upgrading.

How do those of you that have upgraded feel about it? Any regrets? Was it worth it?

If you have both then which do you prefer image quality wise?

I'm talking OOC JPEG here mostly as RAW can be processed to taste either way, but any opinions from owners is appreciated. Don't want to spend the money and then be disappointed by the image quality.

Thanks,

Erik

I have X-T2 since 09/2016. If you need very fast and accurate AF-C focus, large files and joystick, or you need very capable video features, so is the X-T2 most better as X-T1. With power grip and XF 50-140 you have the same or better focus capability as top Canon or Nikon (for sport ect.). The image quality is not too different.

For me have X-T2 better AWB in difficult light conditions - for example concert, theatre ect.

Edited by hildasea