Fuji XT-2---Pink snow when shooting in jpg?

Talia

Hi,

Can anyone help me understand why my jpgs of snow come out looking very pink? (Sky too for that matter.) And what I need to do to correct this problem. The pink tint is both visible in-camera and in Lightroom CC.

I have been shooting using Auto WB. And based on the histogram, exposure is not a problem.

I did not encounter this problem with my Fuji XT-1.

Thank you.

• 1. Try some daylight shots of white photo paper or better yet a color chart you know the RGB values for.
  • 2.  What are the measured color values of said pink snow?

The reason for bringing this up is my experience with 2 monitors one model version apart. The back light on the older one is pink but it is so little that it looks great as a stand alone so it required a controlled experiment to nail the problem.

Edited by asathor

Thanks to the three of you for your comments.

@JRPhoto: How does one calibrate auto WB?

@asathor: I am pretty sure it isn't a monitor issue as the pink is present on the camera's LCD as well as the monitor. I will try shooting white paper soon.

@Aswald: I am attaching a jpeg here of the pink snow, taken using auto white balance.

Pink snow. test

Thanks to the three of you for your comments.

@JRPhoto: How does one calibrate auto WB?

Menu -> White Balance -> Auto ->

Now you are at the "WB SHIFT" screen: you have two axis, more yellow or more blue, and more green or more red.

Mine is set to R=1 and B=-1.

Edited by JRphoto

I don't have an XT-2 - but do have an XT-10.  But I sometimes get the same problem - reddish/pink files.

I'm shooting normally and the colour balance is OK - and then all of a sudden pink pictures.  If I enter the colour menus I see that the grid has moved to the far right (pink/red) side.

Somewhere in the buttons there's one that automatically seems to do this.  I haven't discovered which one it is.  The buttons on the back a quite small and it's easy to press one by mistake and change an all important setting.

I wouldn't mind betting that this is what you are doing - pressing a button inadvertantly

David

David, Thanks for this. I think you are right....I am inadvertently pressing something that then throws the colour off. If you ever figure out what is going on at your end (i.e. which button causes this), I would be most grateful if you could share your findings with me.

• 1 month later...

Right I think I've sorted it.  In the manual for my XT10 I eventually found - "Control Lock To prevent accidental operation of thr selector Q .......press MENU/OK until -a yellow lock - appears.

I've just done some intensive shooting and had not of the previous problems.  I expect something like that is in the XT-1 as well.

bottom of Page 3 in the XT1- manual

• 4 months later...

If I enter the colour menus I see that the grid has moved to the far right (pink/red) side.

By default, the X-T2 has White Balance assigned to the right selector button. Pressing the selector right once brings up the white balance menu. If you're already in auto white balance then another press of the right selector button takes you to the WB Shift screen. More presses to the right will push the white balance shift towards the red end.

It seems entirely reasonable that unknowingly/accidentally pressing right several times would cause the white balance to shift. Only pressing the BACK button or turning the camera off will cancel the accidental white balance shift, but pressing your shutter release is the same as pressing OK, so that would accidentally lock in the WB shift changes =(

I personally don't change white balance that much and removed white balance from the right selector button. If you need quick access to white balance, I would suggest assigning it to function button 1 (between shutter speed dial and exposure comp dial) or to the My Menu.

• 9 months later...

This solved my issue. Thank you! Derek

By default, the X-T2 has White Balance assigned to the right selector button. Pressing the selector right once brings up the white balance menu. If you're already in auto white balance then another press of the right selector button takes you to the WB Shift screen. More presses to the right will push the white balance shift towards the red end.

It seems entirely reasonable that unknowingly/accidentally pressing right several times would cause the white balance to shift. Only pressing the BACK button or turning the camera off will cancel the accidental white balance shift, but pressing your shutter release is the same as pressing OK, so that would accidentally lock in the WB shift changes =(

I personally don't change white balance that much and removed white balance from the right selector button. If you need quick access to white balance, I would suggest assigning it to function button 1 (between shutter speed dial and exposure comp dial) or to the My Menu.

• 1 month later...

same thing happened to me once except that all my images went a funky yellow. I thought I'd screwed up my camera by leaving it on when I changed lenses. I was so upset with myself for hours afterwards before I realised I had inadvertently changed the WB as Ants describes.

• 4 years later...

I have a similar problem with my X-T2. Normally I have RAW setting activated, no problem at all. This week I wanted to shoot with jpg. All jpg photos have a pink color stick, inside the house and also daylight outside. What is wrong, what can do to correct it, setting, firmware, etc.

//Tomas

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!