Aurora Borealis – Svalbard

eibr

The first day of the new year blessed us with amazing Aurora Borealis up here at 78°North.

Fuji X-T10   –   XF 16mm f/1,4 WR   –   ISO 1600, f/1.4, 4.3 sec

_DSF9886.jpg

Nice! This something I really want to see. Is it actually visible with the naked eye or is it like the Milky Way where most detail only shows in long exposure pictures?

Edited by erwiurewurwehu

It is clearly visible to the naked eye, at this location my night vision was not obstructed by any artificial light so I could enjoy the show as it should be enjoyed. It was truly amazing one of the best I have ever seen. I understand why it was a feared phenomenon in the old days. It was very dramatic and the light danced across the sky. It can move really fast. If I were in town (Longyearbyen) I would probably have missed it, at best I would have seen some very weak light patterns in the sky.

Camera sensors must pick up far more than we see. I did not see the violet part, the Aurora looked green to me when this image was taken. When photographing Aurora it is important to keep the shutter speed as short as possible to keep the texture og the light, but of course it is a balance between short shutter speed and high ISO which introduce noise. The aperture you keep wide open, and the XF16 f/1,4 is perfect for this kind of use.