Do we tolerate the bodies because of the lens qualities?

frankinfuji

no problems whatsoever with several years on an xt-1 and now several months on an xt-2. do love the lenses. not sure why anyone would go with an off brand lens with such amazing fujinon options.

Because one can get equally amazing, but different looking, options off-brand?

There's decades of lens production to try and it's a delight to experiment with the different lens and film simulation combinations!

No complaints about any of the bodies that I have or have had. The camera (X-T1 now the others I’ve sold) works as well as any of my Nikon, Contax, Pentax of the past. I am used to shoot manual and non autofocus, when I started taking pictures there were no autofocus cameras. Sometime I wonder what the fuss about slow autofocus is.

No complaints about any lens, both original or not.

I own the 60mm, 18-55 and 50-230mm all perfect for my use of them. I have no complaints for the 60mm or the 50-230mm. I suspect that many whom do complain are used to debate how many angels would fit on a pinhead.

You can fill your life of ifs or buts or you can deal with things.

The Samyang 8 & 12mm are among the best lenses that I’ve ever owned in over 40 years ( I have also owned the 10-24 and swapped it for the 12 since I used it mostly at 10mm ).

The Petzval 85mm does something that no lens (without heavy software intervention) could do. My resuscitated Oreston 50 f1.8 is both soft and sharp depending on the aperture despite its age and some particles on the inside of the lens. My Adapters allow me to use tilt effects ( Kipon) or use the Petzval or other lenses at a reduced focal close to their equivalent on a full frame..

I have also built a lens( well, almost) by using and modifying a Leitz  Elmar 50mm f2.8 Projection lens. The results are stunning or so I think

I suspect that many whom do complain are used to debate how many angels would fit on a pinhead.

Well, not sure how many angels or pinheads you need for the camera shutting down by itself, or the viewfinder going black, but those are pretty annoying angels then.

Again, the way that issues are handled by Fujifilm Service is great, IMO, but I feel that I had substantially less issues with my Canon cameras. In fact, my nephew still uses my old 20D. I am not sure if the Fujifilm digital cameras will survive that long.

Edited by johant

Well, not sure how many angels or pinheads you need for the camera shutting down by itself, or the viewfinder going black, but those are pretty annoying angels then.

Again, the way that issues are handled by Fujifilm Service is great, IMO, but I feel that I had substantially less issues with my Canon cameras. In fact, my nephew still uses my old 20D. I am not sure if the Fujifilm digital cameras will survive that long.

You very well may be experiencing some unexplainable issues with your Fujifilm camera. My X100T did some odd things. It would drain its battery while off overnight and when you would turn the camera on, it would take photos on its own or behave as those the shutter button was half pressed. Fujifilm was really great about resolving the problem. I realize I have a problem with buying and selling cameras, lol, but I have had an X-E1, X-E2, X-T1, X-T2, and two X-Pro2 as well and the X-100T was the only camera that experienced an issue. On the Canon side, prior to moving to Fujifilm, I had cameras experience issues as well. One had a image sensor go out and then the no lens attached error. If you go to the Canon forums, you will see there are some issues there as well. On the Nikon side, one that everyone remembers is the oil issue on the sensor. I'm sure there are more, but Nikon is one I haven't much experience with. You can see that every company has had a few issues here and there, but most of the cameras are good and work without issues. The 20D was a great camera, one of my favorite Canons. I liked the way it rendered colors, but hated the horrible LCD. I've been thinking about trying to find a 30D in good condition.

All of my Fujifilm cameras X-E1, X-M1, X-E2 & X-T1, never suffered from any of these problems.

Maybe I am very lucky. But, given the succes of these cameras, one of the most successful system on the market which revived the ambitions of Fuji , very depressed after years of unsuccessfully producing quasi-Nikons.

I suspect that most buyers have never experienced any problems.

I never had any. Nor have I ever experienced any bug of the most common lamented by this last and particular camera, the X-T1, which is accused of losing the bottom screws around the tripod attachment and the detachment of the plastic “ skin” and many more problems.

So I don’t have any need to lucubrate on whether the bodies are bad whereas the lenses are or would be good ( although there are plenty of complaints about the 35 f 1.4 being to noisy, various lenses having specs of black plastic or metal inside, the clunk of the 90, the slowness of this that or the other lens and so forth).

I strongly suspect that on the whole, these are minor and very limited complaints all addressable by the repair services and percentage wise not any more significant than any brand of cameras or electronic appliances anywhere.

Should this not be the case we would be a lot of remarkably prone to masochism, don’t you think?

If Fuji would sell bad stuff they wouldn’t have the market position they have. As simple as that.

I suggest you were simply unlucky in three years I have never had any major problem with the X-T1 and I am planning to use it for as long as I can and only ever replace it if the camera no longer works.

I have no desire to buy a X-T2 nor have I any need or use for any of its selling points. I might enjoy the joystick but that is about it. I don’t understand the need for a larger file nor I understand the need for any across simulation which I can reproduce in post production way better than the camera would do for me.

So all in all I am happy and count my blessings.

I've owned the X-E1, X-E2, X100s, X100t, X20, X70 and XPro2. I've never had any problems with any of them, and never been less than 100% happy with them. More than that, they've got better with every firmware upgrade and every new model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I suggest you were simply unlucky in three years I have never had any major problem with the X-T1 and I am planning to use it for as long as I can and only ever replace it if the camera no longer works.

Same for me with the X-T1 and the X-Pro1. After Fujifilm replaced the viewfinder assembly and some electronics, the camera has performed flawlessly.

With the X-T1, I probably just have bad luck. Which is a bit of a downer, since it is a great camera otherwise. Though I still like my X-Pro1 a bit more, due to the very useful optical viewfinder.

Edited by johant

• 3 weeks later...

Been taking pictures for the last 40 years, I went through my share of bodies from different makers Konica, Pentax, Nikon for the last 16 years and I left completely for Fuji 2 years ago when I decided that I was more fighting against Nikon's engineers rather than concentrating on light, composition and subject. Fuji let's me quickly override what the engineers have decided : it collaborates with me rather than fighting with me and that is a huge bonus. 

I have had my share of problems with the different brands of both bodies and lenses, sometimes Nikon made a blunder on new bodies/lens/flash and never stepped up to acknowledge the facts (which Fuji did).

All in all so far I have had far less issues with Fuji products than with any other brands, which is quite good considering that the more electronics is put inside these beasts the more trouble you're going to get with hardware and software. 

And more importantly  the quality of the image I get from the combination of Fuji bodies and lenses pleases me a lot, so what's not to like ?

Nikon D70 -- D90 -- D7100 -- Fujifilm XT-1 -- Fujifilm XT-2, could not be more happy. No problems what so ever with the body. And I know there will be firmware updates that will blow my socks off, so NO, I accept tht eboddies. Lenses....do not get me started :) They simply ROCK!!!

Yes.  I really like the lenses - I have several primes - they tend to be a little bit large and heavy, but that's an OK trade off for me.  I haven't had any physical problems with bodies (X-T10, X-E2, X100S, X100T) but I think the way Fuji approaches body firmware is just nonsense.  They release bodies with unfinished firmware, and then try to spin the deficiencies positive with the "kaizen love" silliness.  It took what - almost 2 years? - for the XE-2 upgrade.  Which is why I finally got the X-T10 so I could have decent focusing.  The X100T never did get that upgrade.  I put it back in the box quite a while ago, and there it sits.  There is no excuse for this, all three of these bodies have the same internals related to these functions.

I pre-ordered an X-T20, although I would rather have an X-E3 with that body form, but the future of the X-E3 is unknown other than wishful rumors.  I am sure I will love the X-T20, especially with my favorite 14mm and 90mm lenses.  But I am not sure how much I will actually end up using it, since in the meantime I have recently gotten a Canon M5 kit with the 18-150 lens.  This is a terrific setup, and the ability to segment the touch screen and use it with the EVF without nose-focusing is brilliant.  I also got the EF lens adapter and still have a bunch of Canon L lenses if I want to use those.  This setup cost about the same as an X-T2 or X-Pro2 body alone.  An X-E2 sits with the 14mm lens on it, for when I need something wider than the Canon 18mm, but that's about it for Fuji at this point.  When the X-T20 arrives, it will probably replace the X-E2 in the sit-with-14mm on it role.

Edited by bdbender4

I can't say that I have any issues with my Fujifilm camera bodies, but my primary reason for my switch to Fuji where the lenses. Continuous autofocus was actually so bad that I bought a Nikon D7200 just for the sake of shooting actions. With the X-T2 things have improved, but not to the extent that it can replace my Nikon with the long telephoto lenses. Except for autofocus I love the gears and I don't think I will change it in the nearest future. However there are a few things I would love to see in a coming camera like built in image stabilisation and a real implementation of back focus (AF-ON). Improved battery life is also on my wish list.

So yes, I can live with the camera bodies, because no one else have a lens collection that can beat Fuji.

I'm not sure where all these "problems" are........I have 5 Fuji bodies.......1 XT-1, 1 XT-10, 2 XE-2's and 1 XA..........never had a problem with a single one of them.  Is it not possible that the small minority of people with problems post them, while the vast majority of owners who do NOT have problems, just get out and shoot........??  And yes.......a very good reason for coming to Fuji in the first place is the superb quality of the lenses AND......the excellent build and reliability of the bodies...........that is my experience.  Apparently some people's mileage is different.

I have 5 Fuji bodies........1 XT-1, 1 XT-10, 2 XE-2's and 1 XA.  Never had a problem with any of them.  Is it possible that those with issues find the new to post about it, while the majority of owners with virtually no problems, simply go out and shoot.  Yes.......one of the best reasons for having Fuji equipment is the terrific quality of their lenses.  But my experience (and I suspect many others) is the bodies are very well built also.........your mileage may vary.......

It is the design of the bodies that appeals to me, X-T2 and X-100t, I love the controls and the way you can adjust the settings before switching on. The lenses are a bonus. Sure there are a few niggles and no camera is perfect for everyone, but for me they are a joy to use.

The point here was people who don’t like the bodies and like the lenses tolerating the body for the lens.

Chose the body and lens which suits you and stay with it.

I suppose you meant viewfinder, a view camera is something completely different. I am a GREAT friend of those, used them for many years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/View_camera

I never bought a fuji viewfinder camera BECAUSE I don’t like the concept ( owned a few over the years never liked them), so, I’ve never moved in, therefore no need, for me, to move on.

I like XT and XE series, the X pro, I don’t care, but you, please, carry on!

Edited by milandro

Personally I have never had any mechanical issues with Fuji bodies, but I do agree with the notion that the lenses are the things that make Fuji so appealing - none of the bodies are as good as I'd like them to be. If there was a smaller X-Pro2 with IBIS I'd think it was just about as good as it could be. Interestingly enough Sony have the opposite problem in that they have great cameras but not nearly enough lenses and their approach to lenses seems a bit hit and miss to me.

I said this in another thread, but the bodies were the precise reason I bought an XT-1 and XT-2. The combination of size, weight and precise manual control of key settings using physical dials and buttons is what attracted me to Fuji in the first place. 

Yes, if the lenses were as good then I would definitely switch-the lack of ibis and touch screen on the flagship xt2 is an issue. The lackluster face detect is also still an issue and that isFuj beyond comprehension. The naysayer fanboys suggest back button or manual focus to which I respond: that's not the purpose of face detection now is it? There's no perfect camera but there is market competition and Fuji cannot rest on its laurels. Instead, Fuji needs to keep pace with competition.