Phase One will NOT support the Fujifilm GFX

is it bad?

It's pretty bad. There's already been some discussions in the fujirumors site. But this means that commercial photographers, who are currently the ones who use medium format the most, will not use it. They are married to C1. 

For GFX to succeed, Fuji has to hope medium format will penetrate other genres like wedding, street, and landscape. I think It has a great chance because of its price. 

It's pretty bad. There's already been some discussions in the fujirumors site. But this means that commercial photographers, who are currently the ones who use medium format the most, will not use it. They are married to C1.

For GFX to succeed, Fuji has to hope medium format will penetrate other genres like wedding, street, and landscape. I think It has a great chance because of its price.

True, for the price of 5ds or 1dx or d5 you can get a medium format mirrorless body, and although the lens are mostly primes but each "only" cost about the same as the 2.8 zooms that are the bread and butter of these kinds of photography, and some of them are using sigma art primes or even otuses at this point.

Sent from my K016 using Tapatalk

Wonder if the GFX could output RAW tiff files directly from the camera would those files load into C1. I have brought "forbidden" camera files into C1 as processed tiffs, but if RAW tiffs could come in then perhaps Fuji can get around the "ban".

All RAW files are based on the extended TIFF format specifications. It is more a "container" than just an image format. If the opening application is programmed to ignore aspects of the format, it will not open. If the GFX is a roaring success, it is Phase One's loss—both in terms of hardware AND software. So very 20th century in business terms.

Now Phase said they will make an evaluation at launch, whatever that means. Thus they have back peddled on initial statement.

Where did they say this?

I do think it's pretty pathetic though that Phase doesn't believe in their own system to sell well enough without locking out other systems. Says a lot about how they perceive their own devices (not well).

Where did they say this?

I do think it's pretty pathetic though that Phase doesn't believe in their own system to sell well enough without locking out other systems. Says a lot about how they perceive their own devices (not well).

Agree. I happen to use C1 and think it is a very good RAW processing software. For me it processes better than LR. I like the sessions choices and of course catalogs. It is a very effective software and works well with XT2 files.

Edited by algrove

I sense that sometimes a hardware/software company like Phase sometimes makes a systematic error of strangling their software by incarcerating it in its own environment. We also saw this happening with RIM and BBM, at the height of it, it was the most used messenger app, and it released to Android too little to late to save the company.

Sent from my K016 using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

Where did they say this?

Forogot to answer your first line. I read a press release where a Phase representative said they owuld make a final decision once the GFX wa launched. 

C1 is a fantastic product and if they opened it up to ALL cameras I cannot help but believe they might profit greatly. Problem is they would need for all cameras to be presented to them for their testing for inclusion into C1. Perhaps other MF companies actually like that their cameras cannot use C1 and so they do not have to send cameras to Phase, a competitor, for C1 testing.

If you watch the GFX videos published by Fuji, in several of them the photogs are shown using C1, either for tethering or reviewing the images (it is not clear which). But on close inspection, when you pause the videos, all the files are jpegs, not raws. At the same time, Fuji have their own LR plugin for the XF cameras and, I understand from Fuji's website, a similar LR plugin tethering solution will be provided for the GFX system. Similarly, for raw conversions, the Fuji site talks about LR and Silkypix. But why are they showing C1 screens in these promo videos, rather than LR? It may be (i) an oversight (unlikely and silly if true), (ii) an attempt to associate the GFX with "pro photographers, who mostly use C1" (which is possibly even not true and would be stupid if Fuji knew that C1 never intended to support the GFX), or (iii) an indication that the GFX will be supported by PhaseOne, after all. It is puzzling to me what Fuji are trying to tell us here.

Edited by albireo_double

It's probably mostly i). These pros are probably used to using only Capture One so they are using the image editor of their choice. And it's a promo video, they probably weren't too concerned with what editor they were using since it was about the camera. Of course, the sharp eyed people would've noticed Capture One immediately. 

If you watch the GFX videos published by Fuji, in several of them the photogs are shown using C1, either for tethering or reviewing the images (it is not clear which). But on close inspection, when you pause the videos, all the files are jpegs, not raws. At the same time, Fuji have their own LR plugin for the XF cameras and, I understand from Fuji's website, a similar LR plugin tethering solution will be provided for the GFX system. Similarly, for raw conversions, the Fuji site talks about LR and Silkypix. But why are they showing C1 screens in these promo videos, rather than LR? It may be (i) an oversight (unlikely and silly if true), (ii) an attempt to associate the GFX with "pro photographers, who mostly use C1" (which is possibly even not true and would be stupid if Fuji knew that C1 never intended to support the GFX), or (iii) an indication that the GFX will be supported by PhaseOne, after all. It is puzzling to me what Fuji are trying to tell us here.

Yep, I think you are right re (i). Coincidentally, it is worth watching this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3dvhBpNz7w

They are using the LR tether plugin and it seems to work well. Besides that, I like their lighting setup a lot and the results they are getting with it. The sound on the video is pretty bad and the video is quite drawn out, but I found it educational.

Edited by albireo_double

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Wonder if the GFX could output RAW tiff files directly from the camera would those files load into C1. I have brought "forbidden" camera files into C1 as processed tiffs, but if RAW tiffs could come in then perhaps Fuji can get around the "ban".

Yes TIF files created by the GFX 50S, are opened and can be maniupulated in C1 V11. Not only that all the Metadata is correctly mentioning the GFX and 63mm lens in my case. I also can apply X-T2 film simulation as well, directly in C1 V11 (Base Characteristics, ICC Profile).

Perhaps other MF companies actually like that their cameras cannot use C1 and so they do not have to send cameras to Phase, a competitor, for C1 testing.

Very good point!