---

photonongrata

What would putting a camera through a rock tumbler prove? Who wants a camera that can survive a rock tumbler but can't easily make decent photos?

But you see, the X-T2 HAS been tested in conditions that while extreme are still conditions that a normal photographer would encounter. Conditions such as in the freezing cold of Iceland, Conditions such as rain showers in Florida. I can literally take my X-T2 with weather resistant lens and pour water on top of it during a shoot and it won't even skip a beat. RC Concepcion did a similar demonstration in a GRID video for Kelby Media.

My old Canon 7D survived when I was taking photos in Afghanistan from inside the artillery pit as the soldiers executed a fire mission. It took the concussion of the blast from the big gun and the splash of gravel and debris like a champ... That was the only time I have ever used a clear filter on my lens, and only because it was my beloved 24mm f/1.4 II... Had it been any other lens I wouldn't have cared..... THAT'S a test.

What would submerging the camera in 6' of water prove? It'll prove you're too cheap to buy an underwater camera or housing for your gear, but it certainly won't prove that it's a bad camera because no DSLR or Mirrorless ILC camera is designed to do that (yet).

I would say that the little X-T2 is built like a tank when compared to other cameras in its class.

The kind of damage OP refers to is caused by abrasion. Putting a camera in a rock tumbler would be an abrasion test. Which ones come out with their coatings removed? I guarantee you, 30 seconds in a rock tumbler would produce a very different result on painted vs anodized aluminum. Most 'lab' and accelerated aging tests aren't things anyone would actually do in real life usage. They are intended to give a relatively immediate result instead of having someone, e.g. drive a car for 20 years.

In brief, you've missed the point entirely.

Come on now. This is denigrating into some pantomime version of a forum discussion; grow up.

At least I've learned that built like a tank is only a figure of speech, I thought it was literally built with tracks and a turret.

Now what does patronising and sarcasm mean?

Edited by MirrorMirror

Come on now. This is denigrating into some pantomime version of a forum discussion; grow up.

At least I've learned that built like a tank is only a figure of speech, I thought it was literally built with tracks and a turret.

Now what does patronising and sarcasm mean?

Well now that you've had the last word I suppose we're all free to go.

• 4 weeks later...

My X-Pro2 has signs of wear on the exposed edges and I am quite careful. I think it has to do with Fuji emmulating Leica Black paint M's. As you probably know, they "brass" as they wear from use. Fuji even had a simulated worn X-Pro on display at one time, if I recall correctly. Personally, I would prefer if they anondized the finished to make it less prone to paint wear.

That said, I plan to keep my X-Pro2 for a very long time. For me, the XP2 addressed the issues with earlier generations - 24MP sensor, much faster AF and the X Pro processor. I've just applied a lot of gaffers tape to protect the edges. After a few years, perhaps I'll remove it and let the wear and tear patina take hold.

In 20+ years of using Canon bodies and lenses I've never owned or sold one that didn't look pristine. Fuji, not so much. I already see small places where the paint has chipped off my 6 month old 16-55. I believe these are the result of the slightest contact with a plastic zipper as it is inserted and removed from my camera bag. Whether or not one considers this a big deal, it *shouldn't* happen. Clearly processes exist to apply a durable finish to bodies and lenses. Fuji should be using them.

In 20+ years of using Canon bodies and lenses I've never owned or sold one that didn't look pristine. Fuji, not so much. I already see small places where the paint has chipped off my 6 month old 16-55. I believe these are the result of the slightest contact with a plastic zipper as it is inserted and removed from my camera bag. Whether or not one considers this a big deal, it *shouldn't* happen. Clearly processes exist to apply a durable finish to bodies and lenses. Fuji should be using them.

Indeed. Another real concern with flaking/chipping paint is that when that stuff gets on a glass surface like (like a camera sensor!), it can form a bit of an air seal and be very hard to remove with just a rocket blower or similar.

My X-T2 body has so far managed to avoid any scratches or wear marks (~3 months ownership so too early to tell).In my experience lenses seems to be made of far softer material even though it's an all metal design and are getting scratched. I am reasonably careful with my camera. There is certainly something with material used or scratch resistance as I compared to my prior canon system. My Canon system was also magnesium body, and lenses of metal construction. it had only light wear marks even after using it for 12 years. Canon survived many domestic and international travels, got it's fair share of getting banged around and a few accidental drops and continued to operate like champ.

My usage is people + travel.

Still loving the Fuji camera system. Image IQ, handling, all controls that it gives you, I just hope that that a few scratches don't become a nagging concern at the back of my mind to steal the pleasure.

I have not seen a definition of "built like a tank", I equate it to be = something that'll survive normal coming in contact with elements and it's fair share of bumps and tumbles.

• 4 weeks later...

depleted uranium casing, duh  :D 

I've enjoyed this Thread; particularly your sense of humour.

Remarkable to me how many others have moved on from Canon to Fuji; I had five of the former (along with a nice set of their choice lenses) and the X-T2 is my third Fujifilm camera.

Never bothered with camera cases, an expensive nuisance basically, cameras are tools so far as I'm concerned.

My X-T2 with 16-55 lens (including hood), and a quick release Manfrotto tripod mount permanently installed on the base of the camera, sits perfectly on a flat surface, the right way up so there you go. Seems like a tough body to me, if it wears a bit - which even my EF & F1 did over time and use, can't say it's going to bother me unduly.

As an aside, it kills me to see that some folks are now paying extra for 'graphite' finishes on their cameras - just as thirty years ago you had to pay extra for black! 

Edited by CDBC

• 3 years later...

Hello, fellow forum members,

I stumbled on this conversation in the process of buying a used X-T2 on eBay.  I noticed wear marks on the black model cameras (white/grey underneath), and on the silver models the color seems to be grey (darker than the top coating).  

I only got this impression from the listing photos.  Can some current owners of the X-T# models confirm this?

On some old film cameras I own, the brass showing under black or silver paint makes the wear marks very good looking.  Alas, magnesium alloy is a different story.

Happy weekend.