EF-X500 - Unfinished Symphony?

MJarry

I bought the EF-X500 flash and I like its ergonomics, robustness, power and feature set.

Like many, I would have preferred R/F wireless TTL but it simply was not designed that way and we'll just have to live with IR, unless someday, Pocket Wizard...

There are two items that IMHO are missing in order for Fuji to have a complete Off-Camera Flash offering:

1- A genuine Fuji TTL extension cord for being able to use a single flash with a near camera umbrella or soft box or with flash brackets such as this RRS WPF-QR2:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

2- A TTL wireless flash controller similar to the Nikon SU-800, hopefully smaller, lighter and cheaper, which would not require us to get an extra EF-X500 just for acting as a controller.

I know that the Canon Extension Cord will work but still...

Anyone agrees ?

Season's Greetings,

Michel

Hi I agree about the IR RF issue. RF is just so much better than IR, the Nikon well tried and tested SB flash units one failure was using IR. This resulted in a failure to fire on many occasions and importantly put constraints on the positioning of the flash heads. With all this collective knowledge about the limitations of IR why o why did Fuji go ahead with IR!!!!!. In my view this makes the EFX500 a some what dated technology unit and why did we have to Waite so long for it? Then there is the price - question   can it be that much better than many other offering out there.  Don't get me wrong I am a great supporter of Fuji and invested in top glass but this time its just dated equipment at a premium price.

"A TTL wireless flash controller similar to the Nikon SU-800"

Yes, for me that would be a nice item to have. In the meantime I've found cables that work just fine if I need TTL and HSS. Alternatively, wireless triggers for manual flash triggering are fine too. 

I know that the Canon cable works; have you found another brand ?

Michel

Michel

Vello Brand has been reported to work.  Haven't tried it personally but will be ordering one.  They are available in a few different lengths from B&H.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/749773-REG/Vello_OCS_C6_TTL_Off_Camera_Flash_Cord.html?_escaped_fragment_=

Michel

Any Canon compatible TTL cable will work. The position of the pins on the Fuji and Canon hot shoes match, thus enabling you to use any Canon compatible cable. I bought the cheapest Canon compatible ttl cable from B&H, and it worked fine with the Nissin i40 speedlight.

I have also just invested in the EF-X500 .... seems to work on the Xt-2 on the hotshot ... however the Canon cable that works with my i40 does not seem to work with the new Fuji. Have checked the obvious - round right way, manual shutter etc. If I connect it all up and use the i40 - it works ... replace the i40 with the EF-X500 and nothing happens. I presume I am doing something stupid ... but anyone else actually have the Fuji flash working with Canon cable on XT-2 or XPro2 please?

Vello Brand has been reported to work.  Haven't tried it personally but will be ordering one.  They are available in a few different lengths from B&H.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/749773-REG/Vello_OCS_C6_TTL_Off_Camera_Flash_Cord.html?_escaped_fragment_=

I also have a Vello Canon cable that works and Godox also makes a Canon cable that works fine too.

• 2 weeks later...

I use Nissin Air 1 with Nissin i60A and don't care about cables any longer.

EF-X500 would be a great flash 10 years ago. But not today, unless it costed half of the current price. I was fighting problems in IR communication with Nikon flashes many years and I don't want to bother about it once again, this time with Fuji. No way!

But if Fuji develops one day the RF controller and RF flash, both will be mine :-)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

Sorry for jumping in and let me apologise in advance for the poor command of the language.

I know it is sad that EF-X500 does not carry R/F signal. Honestly that is a draw back, I myself gotten 1 EX-F500 since I tested between i60 and the latter, the 500 performance is crazy compared to the i60.

The question here is, there are currently 2 wireless triggers that support HSS/TTL for Fuji Camera series, namely by Serene Automation and Catus V6II. I wonder if anyone has used it and kindly can share with us/me which is better.

I do know that Serene Automation has ability to link via bluetooth and made adjustment via an app from iOS and Android devices. They are both pretty expensive that why, I am asking around because maybe it is better to get another 500 as commander.