Somebody, talk me off the ledge

JamesD

Perhaps the next firmware upgrade could give us more informative error messages to reduce the number of complaints?

'Face detected, but I focussed on the background as I thought it was more interesting than your Aunt'

'I've not locked up, I just think you need to put the camera down for 10 minutes and rejoin the real world'

'I massively over-exposed that one for a laugh'

More seriously - I'm also thinking about the X-T2, but I think the more sophisticated the camera, the more issues it seems to have. My X-M1 is trouble free, despite serious abuse as a daily travel camera, my X-E2 has some issues, and from what I've heard the X-T2 has more. Don't think I'll wait for the X-T3 as there seems to be a trend here.

I suspect I'll jump back on the wagon as soon as they become available. Truth is, there is just nothing else out there that checks near as many boxes for me, as the X-T2. Great images BTW.

James, if you wait a bit....you could get the X-T2 in Siver/Graphite! (if inclined). Apparently it will be announced in January. This makes me think Fuji may  be getting on top of the demand for X-T2s. 

For me the xt2 has been a game changer for me. I have shot a lot of wildlife with the 5d mark3 7d mark2 and 5d mark 1 40 d etc. I sold all of my canon gear and I am very happy with the auto focus performance of the xt2 and 100-400. I have had to change some settings mainly to use back button focus and created my own continuous custom focus set. The Fuji have always had quirks but what camera does not have a few quirks? The 100-400 is a stellar lens and once you know how to use the camera the rest is up to your skill s as a photographer. The sensor is isoless you can recover shadows without getting a bunch of noise! I will hopefully get out once the roads are cleared here(blizzard conditions dropped about 30cm) and I will post some photos of birds in flight. If you want to see some of my work I am on 500px under Mlala. Michelle is my first name. In summary I think the xt2 is worth the upgrade if you shoot moving subjects.

I agree, and also agree with you on the 100-400 lens. I was impressed with it's image quality. I was initially skeptical because I own the (original) Canon 100-400, and, it's an "okay" lens, but it goes soft zoomed out further than 350mm. 

I think you probably already have plenty of opinions here, but while I love my X-T2, I would not upgrade if I had an X-T1. I came from Canon so this isn't a choice I had to make personally.

I have not had any of the problems people have listed. Nothing serious, anyway. But the improvements are not worth two more high end Fuji lenses for your X-T1. No way.

edit-- this of course really depends on what you're doing. Sports or wildlife, I might consider the auto focus worth it. Huge prints, which is something I do, then maybe the megapixels would be worth it. But as a general matter, no way.

Edited by photonongrata

I do photograph birds in flight and a 2 year old, which is a lot like sports. ;)  The other thing, and I know it probably sounds petty, but the dials on the X-T1 make me crazy. I want to be able to change settings without taking the camera away from my face, and changing my grip in the body and lens. Like I said though, thats just my little hangup.

I do photograph birds in flight and a 2 year old, which is a lot like sports. ;)  The other thing, and I know it probably sounds petty, but the dials on the X-T1 make me crazy. I want to be able to change settings without taking the camera away from my face, and changing my grip in the body and lens. Like I said though, thats just my little hangup.

You already ordered it, but this makes me think of me back in photo school complaining to a professor about only having one control wheel on my Canon Rebel at the time. It was my first digital class, and so I was used to fully manual controls. He told me to "get my thumbs in gear." Like a year later I bought a semi-pro canon with two wheels for manual control :) Sometimes, we want what we want, rational or no.

I hope you love the X-T2. I certainly love mine!

I bought the xt2 for my first Fuji camera ever. I sold my Sony A7ii I really liked it but the AF system was terrible. The pricing of Sonys lenes are also to high for me. I am very happy with the xt2 and the jpegs are awesome. I also own a Canon 7d markii, the xt2 AF system isn't to far behind. I thought about getting a way cheaper used xt1. But couldn't resist the xt2

I bought the xt2 for my first Fuji camera ever. I sold my Sony A7ii I really liked it but the AF system was terrible. The pricing of Sonys lenes are also to high for me. I am very happy with the xt2 and the jpegs are awesome. I also own a Canon 7d markii, the xt2 AF system isn't to far behind. I thought about getting a way cheaper used xt1. But couldn't resist the xt2

I have both the X-Pro2 and the X-T2.

I switched from Canon/Sony and I didnt regret it to this day.

Except for some purple griding in some backlight situtations on the x-t2, I havent encoutered any issues. On the other hand, I havent shot the cameras as much yet as I wanted to.

I would recommend the X-T2 and X-pro2 anytime, depending on budget and what type of photography. but thats only my experience.

I have owned more cameras over the last 50 years than I care to admit.  For me the XT2 has been the most trouble free and most enjoyable camera I have owned in years. It took some customization for me to get it where I like a camera to be and in the process I realized just how traditional I have become in my use of cameras. That being said I am looking forward to advancing away from my traditional ways that I never would have thought possible just a few months ago before acquiring this wonderful XT2.

Edited by algrove

XT2s are great cameras. I have kept an XT10, all my Canon gear & purchased 2 T2s.  Kids inheritance not my money. Never been a fan of Sony or Olympus. In over 40 years of photography only used 3 systems Contax RTS & Zeiss lenses in the film era, Canon & Fuji in the digital age. These have met most of my needs & wants both professionally & as a hobbyist. Have considered a change  but never enjoyed the test drives for one reason or another. Better the devil..........

Edited by TonyB

Over 3 months - I had to pull out batteries several times to restart XT2, also - camera made itself dozens of pictures - while sitting in my bag - or maybe also - while trying to be switched off.

Also - it freezed more than 5 times during this period.

Also - it wont let me to upgrade to new firmware.

:)

Other than that - some of pics have terrible - very visible watercolour effect - which leaves me with only jpg sooc files (rarely)

Edited by Torturro