Using Canon 24mm tilt shift mark II

mgcuginI

Hi there

My strength is not physics so please don't laugh if answer is obvious!

I have a canon 24 tilt shift lens mark II. I bought an EOS to Fuji X adapter. I thought this would work normally, albeit at the equivalent of 36mm due to Fuji having a crop sensor. However I've found that when I shift the lens it seems to suffer from distortion. Buildings start to warp.

Is this expected due to the physics of shifting on a crop sensor? Maybe it's time to sell this much loved lens and forget thoughts of using a tilt shift with the Fuji.

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

if you hold the camera parallel to the building the simple shift wouldn’t cause any “ warping” ( what do you exactly mean by that? could you provide a sample?).

Of course the shifting action (but much more so on a full frame sensor than on a aps-c sensor) can go past the ideal image circle and even when you stay within the best usable part of the circle you have to realize that in digital photography ( as opposed to film) this cannot produce the ideal image if you go past the best part of the circle or the rays are getting at your sensor from an angle that is so shallow that the sensor ca no longer receive light in a functional way.

You can obtain better results by shooting with a wideagle and reduce as much as possible any problems by not shooting too low or too high and holding the camera parallel to the buildings ( use a spirit level  with at least two axis) and then correcting with software.

I am quoting this for the second time in few days

According to Mr. Takashi Ueno in his interview given to the Fujifilm Blog he says the following:

http://fujifilm-blog...ull-frame-dslr/

“...Firstly, the angle of light that film and imaging sensors can receive differ from each other. Film can receive light at the slanted angle of up to 45 degrees without any problem, but in case of the digital camera, the light needs to be as perpendicular to the sensor as possible. Slanted angle light causes mixed colors and therefore the real colors sometimes cannot be reproduced. In order to receive the light perpendicular to the sensor, it is important to make the rear glass element on each lens as big as possible to put the light beams parallel from the outlet of the light to the sensor. Finally, the back-focus distance should be shortened as much as possible to eliminate the degradation in image quality..."

And this made me think of why the resolution drops so badly on a digital sensor when using a “ legacy” lens and not as much when using a lens made for the purpose.

The grid of pixels in the sensor acts , in fact, like a curtain with blades partially in front of a window. If you are standing right in front you can see the window behind the curtain but if you go all the way to the left, or to the right you can’t.

Film was indeed more forgiving than sensors are.

Edited by milandro