Love Your Fujifilm Lenses? Keep Away From DUST!

Aswald

Has anyone of you noticed that Fujifilm lenses are dust magnets?

I just did a general inspection, cleaning and was horrified when I shone a LED torch through the glass! Most of my lenses are cleaned and put back in the drybox after use. My camera bags are cleaned and wiped out regularly.

Dust is inside and don't even look at the focus ring grip. The etched lines on the manual focus ring is like a skin shaving collector!

All lenses are bought new and was inspected similarly when new. It was speckles. :unsure:  :unsure:  :unsure:

Pointing an LED torch through any lens will probably always ruin your day.

As long as I don´t see particles with my eyes, I wouldn´t bother hunting for them, especially when pictures aren´t technically flawed.

And then there´s always clean/check. They´ll make you happy again- and you´ll pay for it.

@Aswald:  Please. Go take some photos.  LOL.  Really.  Stop playing with the lenses, and flashlights and for Gods sakes stop cleaning them.   I am using a camera bag that has crap-loads of sand from the beach- going on three months now; plus lots of dog hair from my dog that passed away in November last year.  Oh, and I think my lunch one day may have partially spilled in the bag.  Oh well...

I've yet to clean it.  And quite frankly, I don't care.  I just go out and shoot.

@Aswald: Please. Go take some photos. LOL. Really. Stop playing with the lenses, and flashlights and for Gods sakes stop cleaning them. I am using a camera bag that has crap-loads of sand from the beach- going on three months now; plus lots of dog hair from my dog that passed away in November last year. Oh, and I think my lunch one day may have partially spilled in the bag. Oh well...

I've yet to clean it. And quite frankly, I don't care. I just go out and shoot.

My condolences...

@Aswald:  Please. Go take some photos.  LOL.  Really.  Stop playing with the lenses, and flashlights and for Gods sakes stop cleaning them.   I am using a camera bag that has crap-loads of sand from the beach- going on three months now; plus lots of dog hair from my dog that passed away in November last year.  Oh, and I think my lunch one day may have partially spilled in the bag.  Oh well...

I've yet to clean it.  And quite frankly, I don't care.  I just go out and shoot.

I hear you ;) .......and I do shoot. Quite a lot actually.

However, I have quite a few lenses and I always clean them after using, before putting them back into the dry box.

I have EF L lenses, EF M, FD, Zuiko M and XF lenses. Among ALL of these lenses, the Fujifilm XF lenses are the most prone to attracting dust both inside and out. I spend the most time cleaning XF lenses. Since all the XF lenses are fairly new in the market, I wondered how they will age.

Pointing an LED torch through any lens will probably always ruin your day.

As long as I don´t see particles with my eyes, I wouldn´t bother hunting for them, especially when pictures aren´t technically flawed.

And then there´s always clean/check. They´ll make you happy again- and you´ll pay for it.

I saw a fibre strand on my new XF56APD. That's what prompted me to shine the torch for inspection. Naturally, I was quite mortified. I remember doing the same for my XF35 when it was new. Speckless! After a few months, I see dust and others.

I don't mind taking my lenses for a cla at Fujifilm. I did that to my XF18. The problem is, after a couple of months, the problem came back again. I asked the technician at Fujifilm and all they could do was give me this look.... :unsure:  :unsure: :unsure:  

I was just checking if other Fujifilm owners had the same problem.

Yes, but it doesn't really matter.

It was pretty bad on the 18-55 tho as it "breathes" a lot, that was one more point for me to sell it (too cheap but I'm not a jerk) before it got out of control.

The 35 does OK for now, time will tell. Another reason to get the 35 f/2 when it's released for streets and hikes, and keep the 1.4 for interiors and non-dusty environments (after the rain is a good time)

I hear you ;) .......and I do shoot. Quite a lot actually.

However, I have quite a few lenses and I always clean them after using, before putting them back into the dry box.

I have EF L lenses, EF M, FD, Zuiko M and XF lenses. Among ALL of these lenses, the Fujifilm XF lenses are the most prone to attracting dust both inside and out. I spend the most time cleaning XF lenses. Since all the XF lenses are fairly new in the market, I wondered how they will age.

I do not consider lenses an investment, but an expense which is why I take the IRS 179 deduction and COMPLETELY write-off camera bodies and lenses in the year I purchase them.  I don't expect them to last a lifetime - I do not believe the current crop of any manufacturers lenses are like the Nikon and Canon of old.  These lenses, at some point down the road may become obsolete.  Therefore, I use them.  Please don't misunderstand I do "take some care of them" but I certainly don't baby them.  Normally after shooting,I check the front and rear elements for dust, salt spray, lunch leftovers, whatever; if needed I'll use my Giotto blower, and or a soft microfiber cloths to clean.  Since I am OCD, there is NO WAY I would even risk flashing a light inside.  What is in there may just freak me out :)

Enjoy.

For all those people who keep their front lenses speckle free and who get frantic from dust inside. It is pretty striking how much you actually see of all this in your images... almost none! Even when you have a really beaten up lens, it takes some damage before you will actually notice it.

http://kurtmunger.com/dirty_lens_articleid35.html

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2008/10/front-element-scratches

Yeah...you can put your fingers right in front of a 800mm lens and not see a thing. I know coz I've tried.

I'm not too bothered about the front elements. It's stuff inside lens chambers which I don't like. It is very easy to see dust and fibers on or around the rear elements and these affect pictures when stopped down. 

Having had rear lens coating of my 85mm smeared by some fibers, I'd learnt to dislike them.

I do not consider lenses an investment, but an expense which is why I take the IRS 179 deduction and COMPLETELY write-off camera bodies and lenses in the year I purchase them.  I don't expect them to last a lifetime - I do not believe the current crop of any manufacturers lenses are like the Nikon and Canon of old.  These lenses, at some point down the road may become obsolete.  Therefore, I use them.  Please don't misunderstand I do "take some care of them" but I certainly don't baby them.  Normally after shooting,I check the front and rear elements for dust, salt spray, lunch leftovers, whatever; if needed I'll use my Giotto blower, and or a soft microfiber cloths to clean.  Since I am OCD, there is NO WAY I would even risk flashing a light inside.  What is in there may just freak me out :)

Enjoy.

Unfortunately, for modern lenses, I agree with you. I must be a fool to think that I can hand 'em down to my grand kids next time. :rolleyes:  

Having said that, I don't worry beyond bickering about dust....it's everywhere. Just more obvious on Fujifilm lenses.

• 2 weeks later...

Wait, you can clean these things?
;)

Unless I see dust in an image, I don't even bother. I had to break down and actually dig out a lens pen recently since my 1 year old, who was keenly intersted in my camera, managed to get the lens cap off of my 56mm 1.2 and had his way with it. Funny to watch, but the slobber and fingerprints were way beyond even my threshold of lens filth.

I don't abuse my gear, but for me at least, it's all just a means to record memories, and just a comsumable. I do expect the glass to last longer than a few bodies, but I'm not afraid to put the stuff in harm's way. I have an insurance policy that costs me about $40USD a year to transfer the risk, and not fear damage/loss in my desire to record my memories. And to be honest, I'd act no differently if they weren't insured.

For the obsessive, I think you’re more likely to harm a lens by over cleaning it. Lens coatings are somewhat delicate and every time you wipe a lens you roll the dice on damaging it. A single unseen grain of sand under the softest of microfiber wipes will be the death knell of that lens, so is it worth risking it for a speck that isn’t visible in the image? Up to you to decide.

In full disclosure, I did once use a can of compressed air to touch up a (Canon) lens that I sold. I wound up filling that sucker with dust and had to have it disassembled and cleaned. I’m a huge fan of the Rocket Blaster now.

Just my 2 cents...

And one final side note, as much as these lenses may be dust magnets, the bodies seem to repel dust. 1.5 years, coutless lens changes, and 30k shots later, not once have I needed to clean my sensor. I think dust prefers Canon sensors.

:)

And I thought I'd post this snapshot of my son nom'ing my 16-55's lens cap. I think of all my lens caps and hood, this one must taste the best.

XE2-7580-2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Wait, you can clean these things?

;)

Unless I see dust in an image, I don't even bother. I had to break down and actually dig out a lens pen recently since my 1 year old, who was keenly intersted in my camera, managed to get the lens cap off of my 56mm 1.2 and had his way with it. Funny to watch, but the slobber and fingerprints were way beyond even my threshold of lens filth.

I don't abuse my gear, but for me at least, it's all just a means to record memories, and just a comsumable. I do expect the glass to last longer than a few bodies, but I'm not afraid to put the stuff in harm's way. I have an insurance policy that costs me about $40USD a year to transfer the risk, and not fear damage/loss in my desire to record my memories. And to be honest, I'd act no differently if they weren't insured.

For the obsessive, I think you’re more likely to harm a lens by over cleaning it. Lens coatings are somewhat delicate and every time you wipe a lens you roll the dice on damaging it. A single unseen grain of sand under the softest of microfiber wipes will be the death knell of that lens, so is it worth risking it for a speck that isn’t visible in the image? Up to you to decide.

In full disclosure, I did once use a can of compressed air to touch up a (Canon) lens that I sold. I wound up filling that sucker with dust and had to have it disassembled and cleaned. I’m a huge fan of the Rocket Blaster now.

Just my 2 cents...

And one final side note, as much as these lenses may be dust magnets, the bodies seem to repel dust. 1.5 years, coutless lens changes, and 30k shots later, not once have I needed to clean my sensor. I think dust prefers Canon sensors.

:)

And I thought I'd post this snapshot of my son nom'ing my 16-55's lens cap. I think of all my lens caps and hood, this one must taste the best.

XE2-7580-2.jpg

Nicely captured.

Yup, never touch the lens elements unless you absolutely have to. It does more damage than you know....

Those among us affected by a more or less pronounced form of OCD ( given what I am beginning to figure is the average profile of the average Fuji X owner, my guess is that the majority would show some of these symptoms) will obviously find it difficult to deal with this.

However the more important question, especially for the non WR zoom owners is that , sooner or later, the dust inside your lens might be finding its way onto your sensor ( which is my worry having had a bad case of it on my first X camera the X-E1).

I would also be interested to hear form WR owners whether their lenses are clean and stay clean over time.