xt10 lens advice

nladha

Good day, 

I have just bought an xt10 body no lenses.  I am new to the fuji X system and want to purchase a lens soon.  I typically shoot everyday happenings, my kid, travel, city/street etc.  What is an all around lens you would suggest? I would prefer to stay small and light ( i have been looking at the 18-55, 23 f/2 and 35 f/2) but need advise.  I am not a pro photographer at all, more of a intermediate I would say.

Thank you in advance.

For me it would be between the 18-55 and the 23. The 35 is a great lens, but if you're using it indoors you'll have to walk back a way to get more than just head-and-shoulders pictures of people in an average-sized room. The 18-55 is a great zoom lens, if zooms are your thing. It makes it super-easy to get a good picture from wherever you happen to be. Which brings us to the 23. Without a zoom, it makes you use your feet, and it makes you see that sometimes where you happen to be may not be the best place to get the best shot. Plus it's small and light. It would be my choice of the three. In fact, it's the lens that I have on my X Pro 2 most of the time these days

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Warwick

For me it would be between the 18-55 and the 23. The 35 is a great lens, but if you're using it indoors you'll have to walk back a way to get more than just head-and-shoulders pictures of people in an average-sized room. The 18-55 is a great zoom lens, if zooms are your thing. It makes it super-easy to get a good picture from wherever you happen to be. Which brings us to the 23. Without a zoom, it makes you use your feet, and it makes you see that sometimes where you happen to be may not be the best place to get the best shot. Plus it's small and light. It would be my choice of the three. In fact, it's the lens that I have on my X Pro 2 most of the time these days

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you so much Warwick for your comment.  This is extremely helpful.  I think I am currently between the two lenses you mentioned 18-55 / 23 f/2.  I have only ever had a kit lens and never bought anything more on my sony nex 3n so when I bought the body only from a seller, I was stumped on what to buy.  Perhaps the 18 to 55mm might be a good start as a newbie to Fuji XT10 and than maybe can expand to the 23 f/2 ....Having said that, I have read a lot of articles which say that prime lenses help with photography so you can learn the art and move around...

• 2 weeks later...

I am new here too since buying an XT1 and asked similar advice.

I bought a Pentax takumar 50mm lens and a Pentax to x mount adapter. Manual focus but a lovely lens and £48 with adapter.

I have also got the Fuji 16-50mm lens and it's a great all round lens, nice and sharp, auto focus and produced some nice pics in the limited use its had so far

I have the XF18-55 which I bought recently. The camera (XT10) came with the XC16-50. I bought the XF because it was more expensive (I know, easily led!) and it had a metal mount and it was an XF rather than an XC ( I know, easily led). I wish I hadn't. The XC is just as good as the XF, I can't tell the difference in the images with each. I shouldn't have wasted my money on the XF. I would recommend the XC16-50.

If you don't have any specific requirements (i.e. headshots or sweeping landscapes), I'd start with the 23mm. If I had to choose one lens, it would be 23mm. The aperture will be really handy in low light, and eventually you can pair it with the upcoming 50mm f/2.

I have the XF18-55 which I bought recently. The camera (XT10) came with the XC16-50. I bought the XF because it was more expensive (I know, easily led!) and it had a metal mount and it was an XF rather than an XC ( I know, easily led). I wish I hadn't. The XC is just as good as the XF, I can't tell the difference in the images with each. I shouldn't have wasted my money on the XF. I would recommend the XC16-50.

Personally, I'd recommend the 18-55 over the 16-50, especially as an only lens.

I got the 16-50 for my wife to use with my X-E2, and the build is like a Canon Rebel kit lens. The autofocus gets really slow in low light, and the aperture is pretty limiting.

Having said that, I'd prefer the 16-50 + 23 over the 18-55 alone.