Going to Egypt...which lenses to bring?

ullmandds

I will be going to Egypt for a few week trip shortly...and as usual am struggling with which lenses to bring.

At the moment I'm thinking 18-135, 14, 23 f2, and maybe 56 1.2.  

I figure the zoom as my main walk around especially if dust is a factor...the 14 for wide shots in and out of tombs/temples...the 23 f2 for walking around cities...and the 56 for some stealthy portraits.

What do y'all think?

I am also traveling soon. I was going to bring:

a. 18-135mm

b. 16mm (for low light)

c. 10.5mm fish eye (to spice it up a bit and because it can serve as a regular rectilinear utra wide lens).

But I am still debating whether it is a good idea to lug 18-135mm. I might replace it with 35mm f1.4.

I will be going to Egypt for a few week trip shortly...and as usual am struggling with which lenses to bring.

At the moment I'm thinking 18-135, 14, 23 f2, and maybe 56 1.2.

I figure the zoom as my main walk around especially if dust is a factor...the 14 for wide shots in and out of tombs/temples...the 23 f2 for walking around cities...and the 56 for some stealthy portraits.

What do y'all think?

56 is not close enough for stealthy portraits, might as well use the 18-135 for that then. Rest sounds good. Enjoy the trip!

I am also traveling soon. I was going to bring:

a. 18-135mm

b. 16mm (for low light)

c. 10.5mm fish eye (to spice it up a bit and because it can serve as a regular rectilinear utra wide lens).

But I am still debating whether it is a good idea to lug 18-135mm. I might replace it with 35mm f1.4.

r u going to egypt?

I was always disappointed with my copy of the 18-135mm, but I pre-ordered it, so perhaps there were some quality control issues on the first production run. If I remember correctly, it was one of the XF lenses that is made in China instead of Japan. It was still a good lens and was absolutely far better than the equivalent Canon 18-135mm kit lens that I had used at one point. However, my copy was disappointing compare to other Fuji lenses. I sold my copy and bought the 55-200mm, which is far superior in image quality, at least when comparing my copies of those lenses. 

That being said, the 18-135mm for travel in a dusty environment is pretty hard to beat unless the 16-55mm is in your price range (or you want to rent it) and you're okay with a shorter maximum focal length. When I travel, I always bring 2 primes and a zoom. Which combination I choose really depends on the destination, but most of the time the 23mm and 35mm f/1.4 lenses rarely leave my bag. 

I love the 27mm, but personally I wouldn't bother bringing it unless I had a second body to just leave it attached to for the whole trip. I love it as a street lens, but I found that every time I brought it with me traveling mainly because "it's just so small and weighs so little," I would never use it. The experiences of going someplace new are so diverse, even when I'm out shooting photos in the streets, I wanted something more. Sometimes that was zoom, sometimes it was the extra aperture or more familiar focal lengths of the 23 and 35 f/1.4 primes. I really started using the 27mm when I bought a cheap X-E1 body and dedicated it to that lens.