Tough choice between 32 and 35mm

collectunderpants

Hello,

I am facing quite tough choice, I want to buy roughly 50mm equivalent for my X-M1 which serves me well after reading plenty of reviews I decided to buy FUJINON 35mm f/2 WR.

However, while searching for the specific offer I stumbled upon Zeiss Touit 32mm f/1.8 for about 80USD more.

Both factory new and Zeiss with free Zeiss filter.

Since the Zeiss was released few years ago I haven't found any comparison of two (only Zeiss vs 1.4 and 1.4 vs 2).

What are your opinions? Which one should I choose?

I shoot only street, will replace body if current get destroyed ;)

I will appreciate you help.

Regards

Edited by collectunderpants

I have not used the Zeiss so I cannot really say anything for or against it from my own opinion. I have the Fuji 35mm F/1.4 and the F/2. They are both nice lenses. The F/2 feels more solid, is weather sealed, and has a much faster quieter AF. I saw a lot of mixed feelings about the Zeiss and chose the Fuji. If fast, quiet AF is important, the F/2 is probably the best option.

I would go for the Fuji. I haven't used the f/2, but the f/1.4 is one of the best lenses I've ever used. It's by far my favorite lens. Zeiss makes good lenses, but Fuji has them beat. In my opinion, I would tend to pick the f/1.4 over the f/2. That's just personal preference though. I think that being optically corrected instead of digitally corrected gives the f/1.4 an edge in image quality, but in most cases you may not be able to tell the difference. In other respects, the f/2 wins out.

• 2 weeks later...

I had both, but the IQ, colour, sharpness, almost everything seems to be better on the Fuji 35mm, so I ended up selling the Ziess 32mm for the new Fuji 23mm f2.0.

Very happy since the 23mm is perfect for street photography and the 35mm for generally everything else.

I'm not a big fan of Ziess lenses, since I owned a few before, for Nikon cameras and always ended up selling them. A better choice for 3rd party lenses for me is Voigtlander - not all their lenses but some of them are amazing, specially for Fuji.

My opinion anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

If you wear glasses forget the Zeiss, you will be fuzzing too much with focus and miss shots. I sold my Rokinon 85 which otherwise renders beautiful images for that reason.

why that? Toit has (one out of the rare) autofocus ... my only concern would be the rubbermade focus ring ... 

I'd suggest trying them both, that may not be possible but I was lucky to have that opportunity and much preferred the Zeiss, in fact I liked it so much I sold my 10-24mm Fuji to buy the 12mm Zeiss. I love these lenses but it's just my preference, yours may differ, both are great.

Forget about CZ.

I've read so many comperison reviews about CZ32 Vs XF35 1.4 in different Chinese websites and forums.

And the results are all the same: XF35 wins overall.

Since the new XF35 has a similar image quality as the old one (Some say it's even better than the old one), I can say XF35 should be better than the CZ32, especially the speed of autofocusing.

And also, the new XF35 is much more suitable for your X-M1, as it has the same retro-style looking and compact size.