X-Pro - Button layout reimagined

The buttons on the rear of the xpro seem to be all over the place, I decided to reimagine the layout.

A: Is a concept that takes everything from the existing button layout, but repositioned and aligned to the lcd

B: A simplified version that primarily uses the joystick to access main features. I imagine there could be a custom menu evf/lcd when the joystick is pushed down to access AF-L/AE-L/Q/View Mode/Focus/Delete etc... With a default on ie: Focus that is already operating for quick adjustments(customizable).

I'm interested in knowing what current xpro users think? Please comment, and/or post up your own rendition.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Try to imagine hitting the correct button with that camera held up to your eye...

The buttons would be closer to your right thumb, moving the same thumb to the right feels awkward for the AF-L and Q compared to moving to the left, especially the AF-L, Q. Either squeezing you thumb towards your palm or pivoting your hand upward.  And then there's a bit of stretch if you are holding the camera to your eye and reaching for the view mode. 

But I do agree depending on the size of your hands, particularly larger hands, the more difficult it gets to access features when not spaced accordingly. 

For concept B, the joystick would control the menu within the viewfinder. Similar to when we press the MENU/OK. The joystick would be fully customizable to user preference. And when not looking through the viewfinder, the lcd would display the same menu. 

Hmm, mock-up A looks like an ergonomic nightmare. Mock-up B looks better, but it's not really clear to me what problem it is trying to solve. In my opinion, the whole idea of Fujifilm's button layout is that it allows you to develop a muscle memory. I don't see that happening as quickly with mock-up B.

I don't find the current layout that bad. The thing I would have preferred is that they made the X-T2 and X-Pro2 more similar in button placement. When I go between the two is when i have problems. I prefer using the X-Pro2 for some things and the X-T2 for others. The buttons aren't even close to being in the same place. Fortunately you don't need to access those buttons for much.

The buttons on the rear of the xpro seem to be all over the place, I decided to reimagine the layout.

A: Is a concept that takes everything from the existing button layout, but repositioned and aligned to the lcd

B: A simplified version that primarily uses the joystick to access main features. I imagine there could be a custom menu evf/lcd when the joystick is pushed down to access AF-L/AE-L/Q/View Mode/Focus/Delete etc... With a default on ie: Focus that is already operating for quick adjustments(customizable).

I'm interested in knowing what current xpro users think? Please comment, and/or post up your own rendition.

Honestly, it looks like you like Leica a bit too much.

Honestly, it looks like you like Leica a bit too much.

Yea, I still use a Nokia 6110 for games and a Blackberry for its encryption.

Leica, the company that made the first 35mm camera for sale to the public? Doesn't Fujifilm make only one official adapter and it's made to allow the use of Leica M lenses? Maybe someone at Fujifilm likes them a bit too much.

I'm honestly influenced by Nike, Apple and Google, with all these mainstream brands it's hard find the grey line between awareness and individuality.

Edited by 7even18

Leica, the company that made the first 35mm camera for sale to the public? Doesn't Fujifilm make only one official adapter and it's made to allow the use of Leica M lenses? Maybe someone at Fujifilm likes them a bit too much.

I'm honestly influenced by Nike, Apple and Google, with all these mainstream brands it's hard find the grey line between awareness and individuality.

Try thinking less like a brand manager and more like a human animal with eight fingers and two thumbs. The best designed devices can be operated without looking at the controls, and preferably only using one hand. Sleekness has no real utility.

I hate to break it to you, but Blackberry encryption is worth nought.

Leica have fallen far from the tree with regard to camera design, even hardcore Leica fans can agree on that. Their ergonomics are terrible. But then again, Leica fans bicker over the red dot so less said about them the better.

Apple. Google. Both companies that arguably have horrible design. Google can't even stay consistent.

As has already been mentioned in this thread, and also by Fujifilm themselves no less - this camera was designed so that you can operate it without having to take your eyes from the viewfinder, and with one hand supporting & operating the lens controls. The current design encourages that.

I think you have a valid point with regard to placement of the AF-L / Q buttons, however there really isn't anywhere else they could've put them without affecting the way users hold the camera when 'idle'.

Try thinking less like a brand manager and more like a human animal with eight fingers and two thumbs. The best designed devices can be operated without looking at the controls, and preferably only using one hand. Sleekness has no real utility.

I hate to break it to you, but Blackberry encryption is worth nought.

Leica have fallen far from the tree with regard to camera design, even hardcore Leica fans can agree on that. Their ergonomics are terrible. But then again, Leica fans bicker over the red dot so less said about them the better.

Apple. Google. Both companies that arguably have horrible design. Google can't even stay consistent.

As has already been mentioned in this thread, and also by Fujifilm themselves no less - this camera was designed so that you can operate it without having to take your eyes from the viewfinder, and with one hand supporting & operating the lens controls. The current design encourages that.

I think you have a valid point with regard to placement of the AF-L / Q buttons, however there really isn't anywhere else they could've put them without affecting the way users hold the camera when 'idle'.

What is your opinion on how design is approached, design based on the majority of users behaviour or design based on a selected view (shaping users to follow this view)?

Hence, the concept focused on the joystick.  Or do you think a simple touch screen would suffice? To understand your point, one hand void from the left? 

And when you say best devices, can you provide some examples, I'd like to understand the thinking behind it, the human side. 

Hence, the concept focused on the joystick.  Or do you think a simple touch screen would suffice? To understand your point, one hand void from the left? 

And when you say best devices, can you provide some examples, I'd like to understand the thinking behind it, the human side. 

How the heck can you operate a touch screen without looking at it? The whole purpose of having physical buttons is to be able to operate them by feel, not sight. When you array them together in a column like that you require the user to remember the SEQUENCE of the buttons and count them with their fingers (a task they're very unlikely to succeed at) rather than to remember (vaguely) their positions, and home in on them by feel (something most people can do easily).

Good examples would include the Pentax K-5, K-3, the Ricoh GR. Bad examples would include most cameras ever made, including very recent ones: Pentax K-1 (they foolishly took their notes from Fuji on this one and added some superfluous dials) and anything ever made by Sony.

Most of Fuji's devices appear to have been designed with the idea that the operator will be:

1) In bright artificial light (i.e not dim light and not daylight)

2) Will be holding the camera at arms length

3) Will be wearing false fingernails or have freakishly long natural nails

4) Will have the right hand completely free (that is, not in any way gripping or supporting the weight of the camera).

Now, to be fair, this is probably a totally reasonable set of assumptions for the Asian market.

However, it is very a poor set of design constraints for many situations. Especially variations on street photography. (Hold a flash in your left hand, the camera in your right, now try to change the aperture... No bueno? How about the shutter speed? Ok, you can do it, but only if you're in the right mode to start with. Oops, dropped the camera!)

In your render you have light and shadow and pretty shading, but you have no concept of gravity, orientation, weight, grip, etc. It's a HUMAN INTERFACE you're trying to design, but you left out the human. You've required false fingernails (because no human has a thumb small enough to hit one of those buttons without mashing at least two of the others as well) You'll never improve on Fuji's own design if you can't even wrap your head around what's wrong with it in the first place. You're just taking the Apple approach of "ergonomics are hard, let's just take away all the physical controls and make usability the app developers' problem." That might make for pretty renders, but it doesn't get the job done any better.

I have been using Leica M9 and now M (240) for the past 7 or so years and just purchased a X-Pro2 couple of weeks ago. No camera is perfect so one does have to learn to use it with its limitation and quirks. My choice would be reimagine A setup.

• 2 months later...