Sony Stops Making 16MP Sensors :: Fujifilm 16MP X-Cameras Affected :: Fujifilm X70 Already Marked as Discontinued

Patrick FR

I expect it is part of Sony's plan. They already hold back the new sensors for in house use for 6-12 month (this is certainly a realistic estimate when including the development cycle) and now they sunset the older sensors long before they are obsolete. It is very important for manufacturing economics to be able to continue production while there is a demand because production is far more profitable after the development costs have been defrayed, so this is an excellent way to get the competition behind the 8ball when they have nowhere else to buy sensors.

It would be good to see some increase in competition, I had thought that someone would buy Samsung's system but apparently the sensor was not something they could sell (I don't know who made it). Maybe Canon or Sigma will start selling sensors?

I don't think there is any doubt that the Foveon sensor helped/allowed Sigma to up their Optics game (ISO don't matter in the optics lab), having sensor control is a huge advantage for development and continuity even if it costs money.

The X-T1 has been replaced

The X-T10 and X-E2s and X-70 EOL is probably not a big deal.

When a part ends production from a contracted supplier, it is not normally a short notice event (large penalties are built into contracts if either party does not full fill there part, in this cae Fuji would be expected to buy x number of sensors per qtr, and Sony would be contracted to supply x number of sensors per qtr)

The is every chance both the X70 and X-E2s were introduced as too many sensors had been purchased, so were effectively EOL as soon as released.

Sony stopping manufacture of 16MP sensors does not mean Fuji are not sat on a pile of thousands or hundreds of thousands.

The same as the just announced X-A10 is probably just to use up remaining sensors from the X-A1/2.

All new Fuji cameras moving forwards now that the 2 flag ships have been released will almost certainly be based on the new 24mp sensors

officially the X-T1 was not yet declared “ discontinued” like many other cameras of the system which briefly were and now were brought back to “ in production”.

I know it is very unlikely, but I hope that Fujifilm will keep a line of "lower resolution" (relatively speaking) cameras in production for a long time. Less storage, no hassle with compressed file formats, and less computer power required.

Cheers, Johan I am all for it too.

I really haven’t found any reason to upgrade to the generation 2 and I am more than happy with my X-T1. I’ve sold the X-E2 and put the money towards a new fun lens, the Petzval 85mm and the focal reducer to go with it. I’d rather invest in glass that I might be using with a future generation camera ( I suppose that one day I will need to upgrade  camera, computer and software).  

Many realize, but only after upgrading the camera, that many more things need upgrading too ( computer, software) for the time being I am happy with those things too. I am moderately thrifty and tend not to change things unless I need too.

computer power and storage is the least of the issues most will face upgrading from an xtrans 2 to xtrans 3 camera.

I have no real need to upgrade from Xtrans 2 to 3 anytime soon, but at the same time, I don't see the need for extending the Xtrans 2 line when newer XTrans 3 cameras are available (and soon hopefully more affordable models X-T20 etc).

If I had to replace my current camera's it would almost certainly be with an Xtrans 3 model

I just can not get excited by the problems of storage and burden of processing 24MP files. Drives of enormous size are highly affordable, as is RAM. Image processing is not so CPU critical as it is RAM critical. If one feels the need for fast file loading, a small SSD work-drive solves the problem. I never work on original files but rather tag the ones I want for the project and copy them to my work drive. I often work with medium-format scans that are well over 200MB. and they present no problem on a well specified five year old machine.