Recommendations for an Old Macro Lens

Savviest

I cannot afford to spend $500, $1000 or more for a nice macro lens, so I found an old Canon FD 200mm F4 Macro lens on Ebay for $300.  It is an awesome macro, but I need another old macro lens that is more in the 50-100mm range.  With the 200mm, I end up having to back a little too far away from the subject at times.  Constantly getting up and walking over to reposition the subject is annoying.  Any recommendations for some incredibly awesome vintage macro glass?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I can highly recommend the 55mm f/2.8 MicroNikkor AI-S. At the time I purchased it, reviewers hailed it as the sharpest lens available for 35mm photography. Though designed for working close to the subject, I found it worked perfectly well as a "normal" lens as well. It has served me very well for nearly four decades and works fine on the X-Pro1 as a 82.5mm with a simple adapter and as a 55mm f/2.0 with the Speed Booster. Sharpness is very good in either case.

Checking KEH, they range in price from $168.00 - $182.00. The f/3.5 version ranges from $62.00 - $109.00. Non-AI are quite a bit cheaper. That said, my preference is for my 60mm f/2.4 Fujinon.

Depending on how close you want to get, I can recommend the Minolta 50mm MD macro.  It doesnt go to 1:1, but it is  sharp lens.  On par with the DSLR Canon lenses.  KEH usually has them in stock.  You can get it with the extension tube sometimes too.  Usually under $100.  Great lens.

• 1 month later...

Hello,

I use the Canon FD 100 mm f4. This one is not too large and you get 0,5 magnification. You can combine it with the extension tube FD50 and it gives a real macro of 1:1. And it's very affordable. In Europe about 120 Euro for lens and extension tube second hand but in mint condition.

• 2 weeks later...

Ni

I cannot afford to spend $500, $1000 or more for a nice macro lens, so I found an old Canon FD 200mm F4 Macro lens on Ebay for $300.  It is an awesome macro, but I need another old macro lens that is more in the 50-100mm range.  With the 200mm, I end up having to back a little too far away from the subject at times.  Constantly getting up and walking over to reposition the subject is annoying.  Any recommendations for some incredibly awesome vintage macro glass?

Nice kit  :)

I have to agree that all macro lenses are sharp and I’ve used with much satisfaction a Asahi Pentax Takumar 100 f4. Frankly speaking I think that the 200mm above is too large and impractical for most applications

However I have another suggestion and that is using a macro helicoidal extendable adapter with a macro lens or with any ordinary M42 lens that you may have of course a close focus lens gets even more a macro reach.

Naturally this comes at some light loss ( which, as we know decreases with the square of the distance) but it is very usable all the same even hand held.

41IhY97fRyL._SX300_.jpg

I’ve just shot two quick and rough shots with a 50mm Meyer f1.8 at f4.

This lens is already a “ close focus” focussing at 33cm but with this adapter ( which is now for me the standard adapter that I use with M42 lenses) I can get 32mm of field on the wide side.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I didn't know a helicoidal extendable adapter existed. I love the 50mm lenses that have a MFD of 30-33cm, like the Meyers and the Pentacons. I wish they would make thicker M42 adapters (like 3mm thick). That would enable you to get even closer to the subject while at the same time the lens is still usable for things that are somewhat further away. Maybe this helicoidal extendable adapter can provide an alternative for a really short 2-3mm tube?

Edited by Alex Cremers

Really? No too long ago, I had to pay 26 Euro for something that only costed 12 Euro (including shipping costs). It's either that or you don't get the package. 

Anyway, I'm taking my chances and I ordered the one from your last post. Hopefully the package won't be picked out by customs.

Edited by Alex Cremers

Although there are general rules the threshold of application depends on the country. 

Sometimes the Chinese shipping agent declares a lower value and you don’t pay anything even if it is more. 

By the way, in the olden days you could buy something like this all over Europe and would have costed you an arm and a leg.

Perhaps there are Polish makers , there are certainly Russian ones ( buy they are again outside EU).

You can see if anyone imports this in the EU

If you are really ready to spend $1.000 or more for an "incredibly awesome vintage macro glass" (and 1:2 is not an issue) I can only recommend the Leica Apo-Macro-Elmarit-R 100mm f2.8.

It'll be a waste on APS-C though as it is better far into the full frame edges than many (even current) Japanese macros in their center.

You may also want to read Michael Erlewine's "Close-Up and Macro Photography" or "Close-Up and Macro Lenses", freely downloadable as pdf from his site.

There he provides one of the most complete overviews of vintage (and some current) close-up and macro lenses.

Edit: Oups, just reread your 1st post - you cannot afford the Leica. Sorry.

Nevertheless, Michael Erlewine's publications may be helpful for you.

Edited by lightpainter

There is a good review of vintage macro's in the 90 - 105 range here 

http://makingnottaking.blogspot.co.uk/2010/03/8-lens-macro-shoot-out.html

Personally I've got the Vivitar Series 1 105/2.5 in Nikon Ai (hangover from D700 days). However, in the past I've compared it on a X-T1 with the Fuji 60 macro both at max aperture and I can only see a very slight difference in quality at 100% - The 60 is only very slightly sharper but its only 1:2 whereas the Viv is 1:1. Also the colour temp on the Viv renders a bit cooler.

I've kept it as the reviewer says it is a fantastic 'thing' the build quality and industrial design is superb.

i use some vinatge lenses for Makro on my X-E2, in order of magintude (by price) - and to be honest - quality is all very fine - Zuikos with famous Makro Tubus
BUT: all are designed for glassless sensor (analog film!) - and you will have the very same design issue with all lenses not designed for digital systems - ALL:

(cheapest)

Zuiko Makro 3,5/50 €45

Schneider Kreuznach Componon-S 2.8/50 (less than 30€ + 20€ for helicoid)

Tamron SP 2.5/90 (next to my XF56 my best lens?) -> get that for APS-C digital .... 125€

Zuiko Makro 4/80 €200

Zuiko Makro 4,5/135 240€

Zuiko Makro 2/50 (THE DREAM ITSELF) -> even the Elmarit-R 2.8/60 wants to beat it ;o) 350€

(most expensive)

Zuiko 2/50 is at eye-level with 50 cron but smaller, lighter and fits to OM4Ti ;o)

Edited by triton76

• 2 weeks later...