Legacy Glass for X-Mount

lhuhn

Having recently seen some great photos made with mirrorless cameras and legacy glass like the Cooke Kinic, I am wondering if anyone has been going this direction with an X-Mount Camera. Any information or resources on this topic would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

well, there are several threads about using adapted lenses onto the X system so, yes, many of us have taken that direction albeit not exclusively.

As for any forum, look things up with the search engine. This forum offers, way more than others, the possibility to publish pictures which are then stored in its resident archives ( and therefore not susceptable to be disappearing unless the OP won’t do that ) plus most members have a gallery although I personally don’t have much in there.

I have  tried many lenses with adapters , so several types of Helios 44 58mm, Takumar 50mm and 100mm macro and few more. Several examples here

http://www.fuji-x-forum.com/topic/2599-new-bokeh-monsters-or-classic-cheap-adapted-glass/

Currently I own a great Meyer-Optik Görerz Orestor 50mm f1.8 a lens that can be both soft when open to the maximum aperture and incredibly sharp when stopped down. It has some shiny specs on the last lens ( glass, metal?) which don’t bother me ( or bother its performance, see the knife picture shot at f8 with a tilt adapter) at all and I’ve bought it for peanuts at a charity shop where I regularly go.

Few days ago I have acquired a 85mm Petzval f2.2. Not, strictly speaking, an “ heritage” lens or maybe the most heritage of all (depends how you see it) since it more or less faithfully reproduce a design of the first “ complex lens” (other than a meniscus lens ) invented in 1840.

This lens is of a new production  and was the fruit of a crowd funding launched by Lomography.

I use both these lenses with focal reducers and or with adapters without focal reducing. I also have, for M42 screw in lenses, a tilt adapter ( not shift, just tilt) by Kipon.

Adaptive photography requires a bit more of knowledge compared to autofocus-fully automatic-photography but it is no rocket science. Anyone can do it, it can be cheap and a lot of fun but it isn’t everybody’s cup of tea.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by milandro

• 1 month later...

more of these  Legacy lenses this time a Fujinon 55mm

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

:huh:, well, I want this look with digital photography, after having shot film for years and years. As usual, to each his own.

well, there are several threads about using adapted lenses onto the X system so, yes, many of us have taken that direction albeit not exclusively.

Edited by milandro

• 2 weeks later...

I had used many legacy lenses: leica, zeiss, voigtlander, minolta rokkors, on mirrorless bodies like NEX, OMD, Fuji.

Although they look vintage and cool, and manual focus was fun for a while.

But when the novelties wear off, i went back to getting nice Fuji primes, can't beat the convenience of AF in the end :)

Different kettle of fish for different dinners.

Autofocus lenses are useful for everyday and general purpose photography but you cannot beat the rendering of most analog non autofocus lenses for portraits or effect photography such some forms of still life.

Besides there is an emotional element involved in working with a “ slow camera” that is simply not there with a “ fast camera” , I promise you that that slow approach leads to s different photography, one that I am much more interested in.

I agree that if you are doing this simply for the novelty of it, that quickly wears off. But I am not interested in novelty because it is no novelty to me. I’ve been doing this for a very long time and I was doing it when photography was analogic only. 

I laugh at the fact that the youth now plays with the Diana Flash Cacamera because it was the first camera that I could call my own 50 years ago ( and I had already used the Super-Ikonta owned by my father!).

I like old photography. I am old too.

I own different sets of lenses  ( AF, MF, Legacy, Experimental) for different purposes and actually have been experimenting with certain things such as using projection lenses in portrait photography.

Of course lots of these effects can be recreated digitally but the typical user of a camera with dials and buttons is certainly more interested in producing “ in camera” look as opposed to a complete post production way of doin g things.

Edited by milandro

Besides there is an emotional element involved in working with a “ slow camera” that is simply not there with a “ fast camera” , I promise you that that slow approach leads to s different photography, one that I am much more interested in.

Unfortunately the "slow camera approach" is a privilege and this privilege is not for everyone. I still can not afford it due the banal and chronic lack of time. Loaded work week and a hectic weekend when I try to shoot as much as I only can...

Most pleasurable activities, of which photography is one, benefit from lowering speed and enhancing the intensity of the experience.

;) ... I am thinking of slow food! 

Taking 5 more minutes for a picture reduces your free time? In the times when I shot 4" x 5" or 8” x 10” sometimes I went out a whole day to take 1 picture...

I am very sorry that you live such a rushed life, must be terrible!

Well, to each his own!

Edited by milandro

I use adapted lenses as much, if not more on my X-T10 than I do than using Fuji lenses. It suits me, and I like the look of the images from some of the old lenses. For me, it's fun, so I keep doing it! As for resources, mflenses dot com is dedicated to old lenses and is interesting to look through, especially if you want to find out about a specific lens...