Which compact TTL flash would you buy

Hi,

Long term speaking, I will probably get 2 Cactus RF-60 with Cactus trigger to build an easy to use and portable studio kit, but now, I'm searching for a compact TTL flash that I would bring with me almost everytime, combined with the ultra compact FlashQ triggers for off camera situation.

I almost ordered the Meike MK-320 this week, but I noticed that the head can't turn 180 degres.... something I like, especially to be able to bounce the light where I want when using on camera flash. I know some people are using this flash on this forum....do you see an issue with this?

I was also looking at Nissin i40, but since we can't do firmware update by our own, it's more subject to stop working (I mean some features) when Fuji is realsing a new body or new firmware. Also, I'm in Canada and it seems difficult to find support for this brand....and it's about 400$ CAD...not cheap.

Finally, there is also the upcoming Metz M400 that looks promising. It will cost about the same as the Nissin, but at least, we can do firmware update, and they mention that it will support HSS for Fuji...

Is there any other option I'm missing? Which one would you buy? At less than 100$ CAD, the Meike sounds like a no brainer compact and light flash, but if I don't like it, it's worth nothing...

Note: I own a X-T1 and plans to update to X-T2 this winter...

Thanks

Edited by sebas1430

Sebas(tian?)

I use the two Meike 320s that I have mostly off camera, so I don't miss the180 degrees head turn. For example I leave them standing on the table pointing upwards with the diffusers on, between the glasses, or with a napkin thrown over them, and me walking around the table taking pictures of family and friends. Great on a holiday having an evening meal, everybody relaxed and chatting. I have them at a low power setting, people don't seem to be bothered, after a while they forget about me and I have nice sharp pictures, albeit with the background filtered away, which often is no bad thing. Most of the time I don't even take the FlashQ tx off the camera. I have a third rx that I use with my old Canon 420EX alongside the two Ms when at home. I think the Ms are great little things. Good price but they have a premium feel about them. They work well with rechargeable batteries, which I see as a big plus (esp. environmentally).

Cheers

George

Thanks George for sharing your experience. What kind of diffuser are you using with mk320. I was considering fstoppers flash disc or a Gary Fong accessory, but I'm not sure. I don't have much experience with flashes.. I currently have 2 small umbrellas and one 24" soft box but I'm looking for something I can pack easily, and i also need to consider that the meike doesn't have the power of bigger ones.

Sebastien

Edited by sebas1430

Sebastien,

In the put-them-on-the-dining-table-right-under-peoples-noses-when-travelling scenario I just put on the plastic box thing that is delivered with the flashes, I point them upwards, stand some glasses around them or throw a paper napkin over them. Most of the time people don't pay any attention to these small things. At home I sometimes use a softbox, any cheap old type that is attached to the flash by velcro. That is about as far as I am willing to go, this is not for professional photography, just you know, family pictures, kids etc.

brgds

George

The Metz M400 has hit the stores around here, for a price slightly higher than that of the Nissin i40. It looks and feels nice, with a size similar to that of the i40. The M400 has a (hand-timed) recycle time of approximately 1.6s with some eneloops. (should be 1.5s according to the paperwork). But: no HSS in the first version of the firmware... and I have no idea how fast Metz will be able to deliver the update.

IMHO a tempting unit.

I briefly tried the Meike, but in addition to the aforementioned swivel limitations, it was very flaky in terms of having to be exactly lined up with the contacts juuuuust right. It also didn't like being used on a cable at all. Cheap flashes = pretty loose tolerances.

I've currently got a Metz 44 AF-2, mostly because I needed a TTL flash for a job before the m400 was shipping, otherwise the extra bit of money buys a nicer interface, slightly more flexibility in functions, a full 180 degrees in both directions (the 44 is only 120 to the right), and even smaller size. My m400 will be here Monday, and then I'll decide if I keep the 44 as a backup/second, or sell it, since I'm missing the return window by a couple weeks (sad trombone). 

While they do require an update for HSS, which Metz promises basically ASAP, the update can be done by you, with a USB cable, and that's worth a lot to me over the Nissin. The i60 was compelling as a more powerful, wireless option for not a whole lot more, but considering that I'd have to send it in for an update when HSS gets added to it soon, and if any new issues arise, well, Metz is getting my cash for now. Given the transient state of flash on Fuji right now, I really can't overstate the value off that USB port.