EVF flashes brightly with half press of shutter

Jellicle

Using a 18mm f2 and a brand new X-T2, and while set on single frame auto focus (but not when on manual focus), a half press of the shutter results in the EVF image brightening considerably, then displaying the image correctly. It's incredibly annoying. 

We have 2 of those setups and they both do it. Is it normal for that to happen?

We didn't get to try it yet, but we've both noticed that the issue is intermittent - it happens more after the camera is first turned on and seems to happen less as time passes. We'll take our lenses to our friend, and by a process of elimination try to work out what is going on.

Original Poster:

If you post a problem to a forum, and somebody has the courtesy to take the time to reply, do the courtesy and tell us what happened.

There are people here making buying decisions on expensive professional gear.

You posted a significant problem with a brand new camera.

It's a pretty straightforward question.

Is it the lens or the camera?

Was it user error?

Is it resolved?

Pete, you seem quick to jump to the conclusion that I am discourteous. Among the other possibilities for my delay in responding: a death in my family, a busy work life, more pressing personal obligations, the loss of my internet connection at home...or that I haven't had the opportunity to test the problem with another lens.

It's one of those. 

When I have something more to say on this problem I'll say it. 

Edited by Jellicle

• 2 weeks later...

Right, I'm back.

It doesn't happen with the two other lenses we now have, the 14mm and 23mm f2. However it's still happening, albeit much less, with both 18mm lenses. So they will be checked out by Fuji in late February. A local Fuji tech has experienced same problem last week with the 18mm they have in his lab, so it's not just us.