Fuji X-T2 weather-sealing issues?

jmijares

Anyone else have similar issues like I described below?

Yesterday it was a rainy day and I took my X-T1 with 50-140 and X-T2 with 16-55 out to a charity walk which I've volunteered for in the past as a photographer.  My X-T1 held up great as always in the rain.  My X-T2 had issues.  

All was fine, but then about an hour into the event and still raining, my X-T2 was telling me that the "maximum operating temperature has been reached" and the camera would shut down.  That sounds kinda odd because it was maybe 55 degrees Fahrenheit in the rain and the X-T2 body was cold to the touch. The MENU and Q buttons either stopped working or the MENU button would pull up the Q menu.  

I brought it home after the event and decided to let it dry out.  When I removed the 16-55, there was no water slipping past the seal and water hadn't gotten into any of the other compartments. 

As of this morning, the X-T2 will initially recognize the lens mounted on it, but then will display an f number of 0, and the shutter button will fire with the slightest press, not even focusing.  The MENU button will now pull up the menu intermittently but the Q button and focus point stick doesn't work at all. The D pad seems to work okay. 

Anyone else experience similar issues in the same rainy conditions?  It's almost as if water had gotten through the MENU buttons...

My X-T1 has been through some pretty heavy rain and cold over the past 20 months or so and is still going strong!

I would've thought that weather sealing meant it can be subjected to a light "splatter", and then swiftly back under your coat. Don't think it's designed for constant rain.

That's a Pentax camera you're after for that level of sealing.

You've been lucky with your XT1 up to now I'd guess.

Edited by Username

I would've thought that weather sealing meant it can be subjected to a light "splatter", and then swiftly back under your coat. Don't think it's designed for constant rain.

That's a Pentax camera you're after for that level of sealing.

You've been lucky with your XT1 up to now I'd guess.

I don't think so, marketed as a high end (dare I say "pro") camera with weather sealing I don't think a bit of a splash is acceptable in terms of WR.

This should give you hope.

It's a long thread, with lots of people thinking FUJI wouldn't cover water damage (which is oddly enough explicitly NOT covered in their warranty and thus gives the company a very big "out").

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/58675407

In the end FUJI covered it.

Let us know what happens please.

Peter

www.kma438.com

Here is that other forums posters final report:

As you all know, Fujifilm is handling my repair under warranty and I will receive my camera on Monday. Some of you were asking for details on the cause and damage assessment. Below is an email I received from Fujifilm:

Your X-T2 body was evaluated by our technical staff and upon inspection moisture was found inside the camera body. This moisture had permeated some key components and was related to the camera malfunction you experienced. Although your camera is dust/moisture "resistant" and is weather sealed, it must have been exposed to a good amount of moisture. Body is not "water proof". In this case, we gave you the benefit of the doubt and decided to handle your service request under warranty at no charge. We appreciate your business.

Though Fujifilm is covering my repair under warranty it was done so by giving me the "benefit of the doubt." Therefore, this appears to be a subjective decision by Fujifilm to cover my repair under warranty. I wonder under what conditions Fujifilm would not cover repair of moisture damage under warranty? It appears that covering moisture damage under warranty is still a vague issue. Then again, for all we know, Fujifilm could be covering all moisture damage under warranty. Anyway, I'm thrilled that Fujifilm covered the repair and I have a very positive impression of Fujifilm and their customer service.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, I finally got my X-T2 back and unfortunately I had to pay for the repair.  Lesson learned.  At least with the X-T2, I'll be using a rain cover.  Still not worried about the X-T1.  A handful of downpours in a row and it's still working like new!

Sorry to hear that. Did they say what they repaired? How much did you have to pay?

Sorry to hear that. Did they say what they repaired? How much did you have to pay?

All it said was "liquid damage".  I basically ended up nearly paying the price of an X-T1.  I think entire insides of my X-T2 were replaced because the camera now has a completely brand new serial number.  It's possible that because I opted to have the camera repaired instead of replaced with another X-T2 with similar actuations that I had to pay.  I'm not sure.  Regardless, it's nice to have my X-T2 back.

• 4 weeks later...

Sad to hear that - it sounds strange to me, that the X-T2 is not holding through a rain-shower... I know, it is not supposed to be submerged in water - but what weather the sealing is build for, if not rain? I used my X-T1 in hours of slight rain... even my "officially not sealed" Yongnuo 560 worked without problems... rain drops are exactly, what the sealing should prevent from entering the body.

An accidental splash of water imho is no "weather", but would be splash-proof (what e.g. my mobile is).

My X-E1 also survived light rain several times ... I think Fujifilm needs a better story regarding "weather sealing"; this starts to sound like marketing with no substance.

@OP sorry to hear they did not honour your warranty claim. Slightly disappointing for a camera where they make such a point of the weather sealing in their sales materials.

"The weather resistant structure is sealed in approximately 80 places and is both dust and water resistant. Additionally it is designed to cope in temperatures as low as -10°C allowing field photography without the typical worries about the weather, season or general shooting environment."

Edited by johant

well, ask the person who did it? He is on youtube.

You're the one who's presenting it as proof of something.

And even if it did survive, it's anecdotal anyway. I've had my X-T2 in the rain for hours without issue. That doesn't mean that OP's didn't have a manufacturing defect that let water in where it shouldn't... You can pile on all the evidence that most X-T2's don't leak and all that does it make it all the more distressing that when one does leak, Fuji won't stand by the warranty for it. Shameful.

No I simply showed it to the forum ( remember forum is a place of discussion not a place to be right or wrong) I am not the one who made it, I just happened to see it on the scoop.it service which scoops all things of fuji interests.

http://www.scoop.it/t/fujifilm-x-pro1-x-e1-x100s

So, I thought of bringing this to the discussion. It seemed relevant to this discussion. Don’t you think?

If the owner is a fool and his camera no longer works I have no way to know and neither have you, that’s why I suggest you contact him to know what happened to the camera which was still working during and after the test.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNm78q7KhQ0ncjcPpumWkRQ

This is another video with immersion of a X-pro 2.

Another fool? Maybe , maybe not? Do you know for sure?

Edited by milandro

No I simply showed it to the forum ( remember forum is a place of discussion not a place to be right or wrong) I am not the one who made it, I just happened to see it on the scoop.it service which scoops all things of fuji interests.

So, I thought of bringing this to the discussion. It seemed relevant to this discussion. Don’t you think?

If the owner is a fool and his camera no longer works I have no way to know and neither have you, that’s why I suggest you contact him to know what happened to the camera which was still working during and after the test.

What is your game anyway? I see you applying this same derailing tactic in many threads on the forum...

Edited by kimcarsons

my game is participating to a discussion on a forum, a place of discussion.

All I did was to publish a video and offer it to others to ponder about. I didn’t even dare suggesting anything other than put it to the forum’s attention.

What’s wrong with that? How is it derailing?

Like this second video. The maker maybe a fool doesn’t look like but it might be. Maybe not. Does anybody know? For sure?

Are we to take anything  and everything for granted or can we actually have doubts about anything? I am a person who tries not to have dogmas and likes to see the many sides of anything before making up my mind.

Edited by milandro

http://www.scoop.it/t/fujifilm-x-pro1-x-e1-x100s

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNm78q7KhQ0ncjcPpumWkRQ

I think that video,made by Fuji, would go a long way in proving that Fuji must pay for minor rain exposure damage or face a loss and humiliation in court