60mm macro with X-Trans III, does it hold up?

ErikN

Sharpness is not an issue - it's way more that jim dandy.

Cons - which are well known

- Very slow AF, but if you are using it or any other macro lens at macro or close up distances, AF doesn't work that well.  MF or moving the camera in and out works better.

- Max magnification is "only" 2:1, where as many people only 1:1 to be macro.  However, several decades back the first Nikon lenses designated "micro" only achieved 2:1 and were the wonder of their day.  Besides that it takes a lot of practice to shoot handheld at 2:1.

- The working distance (space between the subject and the front of the lens) is short and can make it awkward to get light on the subject or if the subject is alive and mobile getting close may chase it away.

I think og the XF 60mm as a good general purpose short short telephoto lens with macro capability and accurate but slow AF.

If you are interested in this lens for dedicated macro (nothing else) i suggest two alternatives

A- wait for for Fuji's XF 80mm macro next year

B- Look for a used Nikon 105mm Micro "AF-s", "AF" or "AF-D" (but NOT "G") on eBay plus a Nikon E to Fuji X adapter.  It will be inexpensive, heavy/bulky, manual focus only and sharp  The manual focus is mechanically direct, i.e., not 'by-wire" which works better for macro anyway, especially if you try focus staking.

Edited by MSW

Thanks! Sounds like it's going to work well for my uses.

I know it has slow AF, and that it's not a 1:1 and also the working distance. I was thinking about waiting for the 80 mm macro, but I bet it's going to be a lot more expensive. I also want something around 50 mm and I figured that the 60 is close enough.

My uses will be product photography, detail shots, portraits possibly and just anything that 60 mm would fit for. The only thing I don't like about the specs is the lack of weather sealing.

Edited by ErikN

• 2 months later...

Great optics also on the X-T2, sharp and beautiful Bokeh.

As for the working distance, it is actually relatively long for a 60mm lens owing to the non-internal focusing design (physical length changes while focusing, almost retaining the focal length while focusing as opposed to internally focusing lenses). That said, I’m waiting for the XF 80mm macro... (and hoped for the XF 120mm macro)

As for 1:1 vs. 1:2. MSW already made good points with respect to the history of macro lenses as well as the challenge of successfully handling such reproduction ratios.

A true macro lens is (costly) optically optimized for its minimum focus distance, unlike non-macros, be it 1:1 or not. 1:1 may be nice to have but it’s not a clear-cut criterion for a lens for being a dedicated macro lens as 1:1 can also be achieved with lenses that are not optimized for their minimum distance.

ErikN, you may also want to consider the Zeiss Touit 50mm macro. It is 1:1 and a tad sharper, has a bit more contrast, and its AF is a tiny bit faster. Bokeh in the transition zone, esp. with contrasty structures and highlights, is not as smooth as with the XF60, and when approaching 1:1, the working distance gets really short though. It's not WR too.

(I have both)