100-400 lens

pip

I recently bought the !00-400 lens and have found it it is a long way from sharp, in fact it's appallingly poor.  As this is an expensive lens I expect more.  I tested it on a tripod which was on a firm base. I used both the automatic focus and the manual focus (using peaking).  The results were very poor.  Any suggestions, am I missing something????

When I first got my 100-400 I had the same impression. In fact, I rented another copy just to confirm that my copy was bad. Guess what? Both exactly the same. What I discovered is: during the hot summers in my location a photo at any distance at all was soft from atmosphereic distortion; I needed higher shutter speeds and very careful technique (even on a tripod) at 400 mm.

The more I use it, the more comfortable I get and the sharper the results. IS "on" all the time also helps, but eats batteries.

If you're still having troubles, rent a copy and see if yours might in fact have a mechanical problem.

Rand

Edited by Rand47

Yes, technique is important.  That is an effective focal length of 600mm when fully zoomed and I can say from experience with an old lens that I had mounted on my Fuji XT1 (via an adapter) that zoomed to 700mm that WOW ... I could not believe how hard it was to get a sharp image, even when on a tripod.  It was so sensitive to camera shake.  That level of magnification, when there is no IS (and the lens I used did not have IS) is soooo touchy.  Lots of practice.

But then again ... you may have simply gotten a lemon.  It happens.

I had the same issues. Had the lens with the X-T2 for a few weeks without a keeper. (birds). Add to that random freezes, and spontaneous switch to electronic shutter with massive over exposure requiring a battery removal, and I just sent the whole lot back. I'm working up the nerve now, to try again. I'm a pretty experienced bird photographer, so I don' think it was me, but who knows. It does concern me a bit, I must say that having not checked in here in a while, the first 4 threads in the X-T2 forum are all problem related. Coincidence?

I had the same issues. Had the lens with the X-T2 for a few weeks without a keeper. (birds). Add to that random freezes, and spontaneous switch to electronic shutter with massive over exposure requiring a battery removal, and I just sent the whole lot back. I'm working up the nerve now, to try again. I'm a pretty experienced bird photographer, so I don' think it was me, but who knows. It does concern me a bit, I must say that having not checked in here in a while, the first 4 threads in the X-T2 forum are all problem related. Coincidence?

They are all problem related posts because forums are notorious for people running to so they can complain or seek help due to an issue.

It sounds like you have a hardware issue with your camera body and it may be worth while (if possible) to go to where you purchased it and try to use the lens on a different XT2 (and if not possible, XT1) to rule out the lens as the issue.  I doubt you are doing anything wrong in your photography.

Everyone needs to keep in mind that we are partially a test group for Fuji with the XT2.  It is the first public release of a new product and obviously something was discovered because after the early Sept release of a small batch of bodies ... they have not been available again.  It has been 2.5 months and still they are not back on store shelves.  Fair to assume something was discovered and is being addressed.  I've been fortunate with my XT2 but don't use it in the same capacity as others that have had the freezing problem.  It is a big nuisance, but should the next release be a solid performer, yours is under warranty and can be sent in.

I recently bought the !00-400 lens and have found it it is a long way from sharp, in fact it's appallingly poor.  As this is an expensive lens I expect more.  I tested it on a tripod which was on a firm base. I used both the automatic focus and the manual focus (using peaking).  The results were very poor.  Any suggestions, am I missing something????

The one I rented was tack sharp.....very happy with the results. 

Montoya%20Bus%20Stop%202.jpg

Acura%20T9%20GT%20race.jpg

Hunter-Reay%20Qualifying.jpg

Flying%20Lizard%20Bus%20Stop.jpg

Edited by Puma Cat

Same here.  I have the lens and have used it with both the X-T1 and the X-T2 with excellent results.  However I soon learned that a tripod is not necessarily the answer because even with a high end carbon fibre tripod there is still a lack of stability unless I use a remote and a tendency for the lens to "settle" after framing the image.  Not good for bird photography for instance.  So I now use it with a bean bag or hand held given the excellent 5 stop IS performance with a much higher keeper rate.  This was the X-T2 hand held at 580mm FL - 120th sec @ f9 ISO 400.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by John2

My 100-400mm zoom is amazingly sharp and fast to focus. I use 99% hand held.However, I do understand the long distance problem, UV kills sharpness. I live in a hot climate and panoramic photos with any lens are a problem.  Editing can help.  Great photos posted.

I did have a Nikon 200-400 zoom {big bucks} on a D3. XT1/XT2 with 100-400mm results are so much better and the hardware is so much easier to handle which goes a long way in getting good results.  My only regret in changing from Nikon to Fuji is the money I have effectively thrown away.

No complaints about mine, it is razor sharp and superfast to focus, I also use mine 90% of the time handheld and have used it for BIF / Airshows and track work all with satisfactory results so no complaints.

Here is a link to a motocross event I covered with it and these are under 300pix images from large Tiffs:

http://571photography.blogspot.co.uk/2016/09/moto-cross.html

• 3 months later...

I am having similar problems with the XF100-400.  I've tried everything I can think of.  Handheld, on tripod, OIS on and OIS off.  Just can't get sharp images.  I previously shot with the Canon 100-400 and got amazing results so I don't think my technique is the problem.

I'll be going back to the dealer this week to seek solutions.

I don't doubt the experiences folks have with their lenses. However, the nature of this lens is that it is really very sharp. To use an over used cliché, it is tack sharp across the focal range. You need only look at the many examples on this and other Fuji forums as well as flickr. I would say if you are not getting those kinds of results, it is either a bad copy of the lens or some other issue that may need further looking into. I would not settle for a 100-400mm that was not sharp. I would send it back and replace. Good luck working it out.

Edited by pcovers