XT2 problem correct exposure

Enrico

There is no such thing as a "correct" Raw exposure. It really doesn't matter what the raw numerical value of, say, 18% gray is.

It does (arguably) matter what the JPEG numerical value of, say, 18% gray is (sRGB: 118). I say "arguably" because virtually all modern digital cameras intentionally over-brighten their JPEGs, because it turns out that most people think that "correct" exposures look dark.

The numerical values of Raw are fluid, depending on how much highlight headroom is desired. Fujifilm has a long history of protecting highlights, and tends to provide more highlight headroom in Raw, meaning you can recover more overexposed highlights or can roll them off however you wish. Thus, the numerical values of Fujifilm Raw data tends to be lower than for Raw files from many other cameras. And with Fuji, you can further increase the highlight headroom with DR200 and DR400.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

This is also true for X-T3 that I just upgrade from X-T1.

Its so frustrating. I feel going back to film. I trusted the X-T1 (and my Canon 5d) for any situation.

The X-T3 is not capable of metering a simple scene, not even with high dynamic range scene, its very strange, and its bugging me.

Look at those examples : https://my.pcloud.com/publink/show?code=kZyf4n7ZMzsjo0WNxruAkeDCOJHl3fhpfTuk

I had that problem with manual lens adapted on X-E2s. Basically X-E2s was nocieably underexposing shots so often that I used to set +1/3 or sometimes +1EV. I had X-E3 and X-E2s at the same time taking same shots and X-E3 was always showing more bright (and so better looking) results.

Time passed (a year or 1.5), anf Fujifilm released X-E2s firmware Ver 1.11 with autoexposure fix saying " The phenomenon is fixed that exposure control can work wrongly when aperture priority with M mount adaptor. ".

After that firmware fix X-E2s autoexposure works excellent. That simple fact shows that not every Fuji camera works the same with autoexposure. But it also shows that some differences are significant enough to release firmware update.

It'd be definitely great to have more influence on auto processes of X-T2 camera. I often turn EV dial to +1/3 and +1 for portrait shooting with X-T2. The fact that X-T1 autoexposure is  different than X-T2 autoexposure just indicates firmware changes. It's easy to workaround that differences, even if both X-T1 and X-T2 cameras are used, but I'd definitely love to be able to set consistant autoexposure behavior if possible.