Problems with Auto White Balance

Mike B

Have had my X-T2 for some time and in the past 2 days I noticed a red-ish/purple-ish cast in the EVF, LCD and the Jpegs. (Raw on card 1 and Jpeg's on card 2). Also when downloaded the raw images to Lightroom the thumbnails show the cast, yet when I choose one to develop it corrects the color. Been checking every setting I could find on the X-T2 and could not seem to resolve. Finally started changing white balance settings. Found that no matter what light source I had, the auto white balance setting had the problem. All the other (use white balance for condition such as daylight, overcast, .etc) seemed to render more accurate color in EVF, LCD and Jpeg's.

So it appears that the Auto White balance is no longer functioning correctly.  Has anyone else experienced this?

Kimcarsons,

Thanks You! It was absolutly the case. I have never intentionally used WB Shift and don't know how I could have mistakenly got to it to change it without knowing I did it. I appreciate the heads up. 

Mike

The best way to avoid this happening is to not have white balance bound to a function button or bind it to one of the harder to reach buttons (and to always turn the camera off when you're not shooting)

Thanks Again. Did just take off WB from the function Button. As it was set to the  selector button it must have been how it got changed. I do like to turn the camera off when I don't expect to take more images, yet it doesn't always happen :).  More so to save battery life. It took me a while to figure some of the alternate actions on some of the items. The one that had me fooled for  some time is that the rear command dial when held in adjusts the manual focus assist type. I'll keep learning.  Again thanks for the suggestions! 

Mike

Thanks Again. Did just take off WB from the function Button. As it was set to the  selector button it must have been how it got changed. I do like to turn the camera off when I don't expect to take more images, yet it doesn't always happen :).  More so to save battery life. It took me a while to figure some of the alternate actions on some of the items. The one that had me fooled for  some time is that the rear command dial when held in adjusts the manual focus assist type. I'll keep learning.  Again thanks for the suggestions! 

Mike

No problem. You just taught me something too! I hadn't noticed that holding the rear command dial did anything until you mentioned it.

• 1 month later...

Just jump in here because it is not worth a new topic...

How good/accurate is Auto White Balance on the X-T2? Is it the same as on the X-Pro2?

This is really important to me because I'm red/green blind and I have big issues with getting pictures edited so that 1) I like them and 2) others don't beat me up due to the unnatural colors ;). Fuji seems to do a great job with its jpeg output, so if Auto-WB also does a great job I am nearly settled on Fuji!

@MirrorMirror Thx for the reply. Makes me feel confident. I currently shoot with an Olympus E-520 and there AutoWB is not that great, produced quite cold images on a nice late autumn afternoon whereas manual "sunny" WB looked nice. Of course that camera already is quite old...

I won't touch AutoWB fine-tuning for obvious reasons ;)

I'm happy with AWB on my Fuji cameras so I don't use the fine tune; I have no need. But what is the obvious reason not to use it, it's not that obvious to me.

If I was unhappy and for example thought it was too blue I would fine tune it warmer, why wouldn't you?

Because I'm red/green blind and the possibility to make things worse when fine-tuning just is too high ;)

I already turned a photo completely green when I thought I added more yellow/orange :/ Or added some rust to a lovely tree :D

• 2 years later...