Going to England - lenses

Ms_Tex

I travel quite a bit and while WR is very nice to have, I don't rely on it. In fact my most friendly travel kit for Europe sort of avoids WR.

My kit is the 18-55mm f/2.8-4 OIS, 14mm f/2.8 and 35mm f/2 or the 23mm f/2. The latter are WR and one  of them is in the kit (based on destination) primarily for light weight, after dinner walks when I'm completely bushed with travel and lastly for a severe WR bailout. Some people like the f/1.4 versions because of the low-light possibilities, but I find the small size and WR aspects more useful when on the road. After all, Fuji has very good highISO capability and typically these pictures are not for National Geographic

My kit does always include:

1) lightweight food storage bags. I like the ones that don't have the zip locks, I usually put several in the bottom of my kit bag, usually under the padding so they are out of the way. With those, I use some sturdy rubber bands; like the ones that come around broccoli stems. They aren't overlong, are wide and sturdy.

2) one clear filter for a general purpose lens. Mostly for shooting at the seashore or other areas with blowing dust, construction, etc.

3) one microfiber utility towel. Helps clean everything up in case of whatever. The towel e.g. 9"x 9" or so also doubles as padding or a wrap if unusual packing situations arise.

4) several (wooden) toothpicks. These help with little cleaning jobs for when stuff get under dials, focus/zoom rings and the like. They also help clean up around lens mounts if things really get dirty and you do the cleaning before changing lenses.

5) an extra camera body cap and rear lens cap. These caps allow me to remove the lens from the camera and pack each item separately. I find this useful if I ever need to drastically repack because of some over zealous airline attendant.

5a) f you are changing lenses frequently, a small blower bulb for preventive cleaning of the sensor box and rear lens element on lens changes and once every evening.

6) an extra very inexpensive charger for the camera main battery. Also if you are traveling with multiple cameras, get the kind of charger that allows you to do more than one type of battery by just exchanging the plate on the charger. 

7) a short home-country multiple outlet extension cord. That way you can with a single power adapter generate a couple of extra outlets for a multiple charging station. If you are staying in mainline hotels these stations are mostly ubiquitous, however if you like to stay in older hotels that give you access to city-center, this might be a good idea.

I could and have done all my travel photography with just a 23mm lens. However, when taking other lenses, I like to use the 35mm f/2 for my lightweight option because it doubles nicely for a short portrait lens (or couples lens) which I find especially nice when thinking about my travel companions.

Enjoy your travel and don't forget that microfiber towel. It can keep you shooting longer in the ran that many things. It wrings out, drapes nicely even when damp (maybe better when damp), whisks away out of the way pretty easily. Can be stuffed into one of those plastic bags until you can dry it. Then ready to go again the next day.

Have fun,

Best Regards,

Roger

Edited by RogerB

I'll be going to England (Cornwall & London) next May. I know the weather there can be unpredictable. I don't plan to be out in a downpour, but I don't want to let a little drizzle or sand stop me.

I have an XT1 body. Will the 18-55mm be okay? Or should I consider the 16-55mm, just in case?

The  chances are that it will be wet in May, whether it's wet in the short time you'll be here no one knows but at some point in May it will rain - are you hoping to dash out and snap away when it does? If not really stop worrying. Just cover your camera when it rains

Rain? Cornwall? Never !!!  (I lived there for 3 years and also spend a lot of time in Austin, TX)  Don't worry about lenses but make sure you have a decent pair of shoes to go walking on the moors and rocky cliff edges so you can get a dramatic landscape shot regardless of the weather.  And for London make sure you have a plain bag with a secure lid that doesn't scream "I'm expensive bag full of expensive camera kit" 

Problem solved - Depute is Right, It never Rains!

Just did a Google Search and less than 3/100 pictures have no sun or evidence of rain, floods, oceanic storms and wet dogs (not necessarily in that order).

Only when you search Cornwall/England/Storm do you see much water and that is mostly Neptune reaching for what is probably his in the first place.

Enjoy and bring a couple plastic bags, use them for carrying ice for your beer. And if it rains you will be the the first to document it properly in the world famous Fijifilm colors.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

18-55 would be my choice (and it's also my don't leave home without lens).  I've used it in rain, snow, sleet, freezing rain with no issues.  If you are uncomfortable doing so, instead of spending 1100.00 on the 16-55 get yourself some zip lock bags (of which I carry several in my camera bags) and if it rains use them for some protection.

Problem solved. And you are traveling lightweight -- without the boat anchor that is the 16-55.

• 6 months later...

The UK is pretty much like any other country. Sometimes it rains, sometimes it doesn't. Although they do say that up in Scotland there are just two seasons: Winter and June. This said, I think WR is the way to go wherever you live. After all, why would you only want to be able to take pictures of your world in certain kinds of weather and not in others?665e5778c61fc9ea1aa312f848450926.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Windsor. I used to live nearby like 12 years ago