How to trigger my Nikon SB-900 flashes

Hi all,

Having left Nikon I no longer have a functioning flash system, so I'd like your opinion on the following options:

- Yongnuo triggers

- Yongnuo triggers + the command screen

- optical slaves

Other suggestions also welcome!

PS: I'll add some links to ebay/amazon for the Yongnuo triggers when I get home

I'm not sure if your Yongnuo triggers will work with your Fuji camera as I don't know which triggers or camera you have. But I have yongnuo RF-603ii nikon triggers and they don't seem to fire on my X-T1. You might be better off going with something like the Cactus V^ triggers that can fire on different camera an flash combinations. 

the yongnuo work fine for me. i trigger some yongnuo flashes as well as an SB700 with them. fully manually they work fine. one trigger on the camera the other on the flash and you´re good to go. no ttl of course. the yongnuo flashes have the radio built in, so i can trigger two of them and my  sb700 with just 2 rf603s.

what do you mean with command screen?

I second the recommendation on the Cactus system, but I use the Cactus V6's - I use one to fire a Canon 580EX from my Fuji X100 and it's great - reliable, easy to use, and reasonably affordable for two transceivers.  

The thing that sets the 6 apart, though, is that you can remote control the power output of the flash from the transceiver on your camera - you set the speed light to E-TTL mode and then it's fed the power level from the Cactus unit on it, which you can control manually from full power on down in 1/10 stop increments right from your camera.  It's super helpful if you're out in nature somewhere and you prop your speed light on some rock somewhere as a backlight, you don't need to keep walking over to it to adjust the power, you can do it remotely. Took a little testing to get it running but now it works great.

It also lets you mix-and-match units - you can control Nikon, Canon, and whatever other brands all simultaneously and independently control the power on each.  It's pretty cool.  

I think if you're using Yongnuo speed lights then the Yongnuo triggers are the way to go as a complete system, and from what I've read it's really good, but if you're looking to use different brands with the Fuji and control the power outputs remotely I know the V6 is solid.

http://www.cactus-image.com/v6.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1071312-REG/cactus_dicflawftv6_wireless_flash_transceiver_trigger.html

I purchased the Yongnuo RF-603 II C3 ( Amazon Link ) and it doesn't work with my Fuji XT-1. This is the Canon version, I tested it on a Canon camera and it worked, so it wasn't a faulty device. 

I am interested to find out what triggers do work. 

i use the Yongnuo RF603NII (nikon version) and the Canon version as well, both work. BUT i´m using a x-e2, is there a differnce in the flash hotshoe?

Thx for all the replies, a bit concerned about the non-working Yongnuo stories, hope someone chimes in with a working X-T1 + Yongnuo + Nikon SB-900 combination.

This is a link I found with all-Yongnuo triggers/flashes on Fuji X-t1: 

This is the commander I was talking about: 

I'll look into the Cactus v6

RF-603 II is the best option, IMO. They work – just use TX, not TRX on the transmitter. Best used with YN560-III flashes (built in RX, 6 groups, all that jazz).

Cactus V5 works too (and syncs with X100* at 1/1000, by the way).

PS: I use YN560-TX too. Loving it.

Thx for all the replies, a bit concerned about the non-working Yongnuo stories, hope someone chimes in with a working X-T1 + Yongnuo + Nikon SB-900 combination.

This is a link I found with all-Yongnuo triggers/flashes on Fuji X-t1: 

This is the commander I was talking about: 

I'll look into the Cactus v6

the top video with use of remote power control is what I do, more or less.   It allows adjustment of power remotely while metering flash output with hand held light meter.

Miker,

You basically need a transceiver or transmitter/receiver option that only uses a single center pin to fire the unit. Sometimes the units with multiple pins cause problems. The Fuji pin configuration on the shoe mount is supposedly similar to the Canon. Using the on camera flash that comes with the Fuji and the optical slaves on the SB-900 will work but you are limited by line of sight and distance. Pocket Wizards are also an option but they are expensive. This is all for manual flash which is the best option with the XT-1. Not a lot of versatile TTL available yet for Fuji.

I am currently using 2 different systems with great success with Fuji XT-1. For speedlites I have Yongnuo YN-560 III's with the YN-560TX. This gives me control of power and zoom at camera position as well as radio triggering. The speedlites have built in receivers. My favorite setup is the the Cheetah Light CL-360 bare bulb flash distributed by CheetahStand. This is a bare-bulb light that uses Bowens mount light modifiers and is powered by a separate lithium power pack. It is basically a rebranded and modified Godox Wistro light. Also is controlled at camera position by a transmitter with a USB receiver in the the flash. This is a really mobile, versatile and powerful lighting setup. Edward Tang at CheetahStand is constantly adding options for his products and the customer service is outstanding. There is also a lithium battery powered speedlite, the V850, that uses the same remote system, so the lights can be used together. I use a Sekonic L-478DR meter and with this setup can get fast accurate exposures at my subject position.

Using the on camera flash that comes with the Fuji and the optical slaves on the SB-900 will work but you are limited by line of sight and distance.

I can confirm this works, at least with the built-in flash of the X-E1 (in ext. sync mode) and my SB-800s in SU-4 mode. Full manual exposure and flash power setting, but functional if not as easy as iTTL.

Not knowing how many flash units you require at once or use, have you considered the Nissin i40 flash for Fuji X? I used to have the Nikon system too, but sold it all and went with the Fuji X system. I considered other flash ideas, but found the Nissin i40 to be more than adequate, either as a slave, a manual flash or with a cord attachment to retain TTL metering. Additional Nissin i40 units can be slaved to the one designated as the controller flash.

I would be interested in Fuji's new TTL flash when it finally becomes available to see what features it will have, but for now I find no fault with the Nissin i40 flash unit.

I purchased the Yongnuo RF-603 II C3 ( Amazon Link ) and it doesn't work with my Fuji XT-1. This is the Canon version, I tested it on a Canon camera and it worked, so it wasn't a faulty device. 

I am interested to find out what triggers do work. 

I have first version of Yongnuo RF-603C and it works just fine with other Yongnuo and Canon's flashes

Thanks for all the comments, in the end I went with the SU-4 mode on my Nikon SB-900, and putting the X-T1 flash in commander mode, worked flawlessly! 

The Cactus V6 also looks like a solid recommendation, for the Yongnuo it's a bit troubling there are people for whom it doesn't work, hope we find out if it's user error or a problem with Yongnuo!

I use the older Yongnuo 602C triggers (which I originally bought for my Canon, obviously) and they work fine. I have an EX580II flash and two Metz 54 MZ-3 with Canon-foot.

All stuff I only use in full manual mode.

Hi all.

As a migrant from Olympus u43 I have a heap of Oly' gear which I still use (Bodies and Speedlights).  I use Yongnuo (Transmitter RF-600TX, receiver RF-602RX x6), the receivers function with Oly FL50 and 50R units, Metz 48 AF-1 and Oly' T-32 units, all function perfectly well (bearing in mind all control is manual, best with multi light situations, in my mind).  As stated I am a migrant from u43, so when I obtained my Fuji X-E1, I decided to give the Yongnuo / Olympus gear a test, everything works just fine, though again manual only use, will I consider the Fuji System, not really apart from a possible purchase of a Nissin i40 for travel use.

Yongnuo, go for it and use the cash saved for extra speedlights.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 years later...

Just wondering if anyone had any tips for 2019? Has there been any evolution in the RF transceiver world worth considering? I have a Fuji XT-3 + the Flash that comes with it and Nikon SB700 SB800 and SB900. I'm interested in both the SU-4 mode and and radio solution. Cheers!