Long lens for Galapagos?

nibbler

Hi all,

I am travelling to Galapagos for a few days, mostly to shoot animals.

I have the 16/1.4 and the 35/2.0, so I figure I need a long lens. Will the 40-150/2.8 be sufficient, or should I rather get the 100-400? I could also add the 2x TC for the 40-150 if needed.

Anyone been there and can provide recommendations?

Thanks!

I'll start off by saying that I have not been to the Galapagos. I had the 18-135mm for a long time and found that 135 was not long enough when I needed it most. I've since moved to the 55-200mm, which is much better and it is pretty versatile for more than just wildlife. That being said, I still feel like the 100-400mm needs to be added to my kit if I want to do some serious wildlife photos. I would be inclined to go for that if I were taking a trip to a place as remote and with as much diversity as the Galapagos.

I was there over 30 years ago. The animals there have few predators and were easy to get close to. The land iguanas literally walked over my feet while the marine iguanas are busy sunning themselves on the rocks. Blue footed boobies were also not a problem to get close to. I think you'll be fine with the shorter but faster lens and bringing a TC. The 100-400 starts off at 150 mm equivalence and that may be too tight; I like to minimize changing lenses when travelling so I'd go with the 40-150.

Hi,

I went to the Galapagos a few years ago and agree with steviewonder that most of the time the wildlife is close and easy.  At the same it's not always true.  I went with a 18..50mm, 70..200/2.8, 300mm/2.8, with 1.4x and 2x with a 1.5x crop camera.  

Most of the time, I used the 70-200 with 2x on land for wildlife, and pulled out the 18..50 regularly for landscape and friends.  If you will visit the caves, bring along the fastest lens you have--its dark!

On the water though I did use the 300 with 1.4 and 2.0x convertors.    On water we saw birds, whales, dolphins, turtles, and seals.    

You will likely travel in/out via Quito and/or Guayaquil and spend some time there.  In the city, it's the usual lens options for a city.  If you have a chance to go to the Cloud Forests then a longer lens is important.  

Here's a few photos from the trip and most have EXIF information.  

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mdecorte/albums/72157610505125768

Personally, if you have both long len's I'd bring them.  If not, I would rent both.  Or buy the  2x + 40..150 for the range. 

Thanks all for your suggestions - this is incredibly helpful. Unfortunately I cannot rent equipment where I live (Switzerland), so buying is the only option.

Testing in store I thought the 100-400 was a bit long, especially on the short end, so I bought the 50-140 for the trip. I might add the 2x TC before I leave, but it is quite expensive.