(I was not sure if I should post this in the X-M1 / X-A1 / X-A2 category or in the lens category. I apologise if I got this wrong.)

I’m on a bit of a budget, but I decided to get into the Fujifilm system. I found a used X-M1 in great condition that I got for a good price, thinking that I could get something more fancy later when my budget will allow it.

In the mean time, I want at least once good all-around prime. I got my eye on the Fujifilm XF23mm f2. It’s plenty fast for me and the image quality seem great. However, I am bit unsure whether it will balance well on my diminutive X-M1. Now, the obvious alternative is the XF27mm, but it does not have a aperture ring, which I find to be a pretty big bummer, as that is one of the things that really exite me about the Fuji X system.

So, I my question is, how does the XF 23mm f2 balance on X-M1 in use? I don’t care about pockability. I have also ordered a thumb grip for it, if that makes a difference. How comfortable is it? Can you hold it with one hand without fear of the lens’ weight damaging the camera?

And out of curiosity: how does Fuji’s primes in general balance on the X-M1 / X-A1 / X-A2 cameras?

I saw a picture on the internet the other day with a 23mmf2 on an X-A2. It looked like a perfect balance. It's a great little lens (I've had mine about a week and already I love it). I think it will work very well with a camera like the X-M1

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Warwick

I think the 23 will be fine, as the X-M1 is not that small. I did the same as you and started with a low cost deal on an X-M1, and even though I now have an X-E2 and a wide range of lenses, the X-M1 plus the 27mm is still my most used combination as they seem to be made for each other, and together they make a great travel camera. And the 27 is a lot cheaper than the 23!

Update on my last post - I've just bought my daughter an X-A2 (similar size to X-M1) and I tried my XF23mmF2 on it: it's a very nice balance. The 18mm, the 23f2, the 27 and the 35f2 are all among the smaller of Fuji's lenses and all go well with the smaller bodies. If I had just one lens, it would be the 23mm f2

Update on my last post - I've just bought my daughter an X-A2 (similar size to X-M1) and I tried my XF23mmF2 on it: it's a very nice balance. The 18mm, the 23f2, the 27 and the 35f2 are all among the smaller of Fuji's lenses and all go well with the smaller bodies. If I had just one lens, it would be the 23mm f2

Never understood the notion of or people's preoccupation with lenses "balancing" on a camera body.

As soon as you put a lens on a camera, it becomes front-heavy. As such, the combination of the two has no inherent balance.

The only way to balance a camera is to hold it properly, i.e. support it at the fulcrum point by cradling the lens in your left hand.

Thanks everybody for replying! I really appreciate it.

…the X-M1 plus the 27mm is still my most used combination as they seem to be made for each other, and together they make a great travel camera.

Didn’t you miss the aperture ring? Using the rear dial on my X-M1 to change aperture seems fiddly to me.

It probably won’t be my only lens forever, but given my budget going ahead I think it would be my only lens for a couple of years, maybe longer.

Never understood the notion of or people's preoccupation with lenses "balancing" on a camera body.

As soon as you put a lens on a camera, it becomes front-heavy. As such, the combination of the two has no inherent balance.

The only way to balance a camera is to hold it properly, i.e. support it at the fulcrum point by cradling the lens in your left hand.

My previous camera was a full frame DSLR, the Sony a850 which I paired with their nifty 50mm and their 20mm. In either case the lenses was so small that it was definitely not front heavy, and allowed me confidently hold the camera with one hand without fear of the lens being too heavy on the mount.

Yes, most of the time when I take pictures I do tend to cradle the lens for stability, but it’s nice to be able to use the camera one handed for those times when your other hand is used for something else.

Edited by torbjornlunde

Exactly.

I would say even more - these cameras (and lenses) are designed mainly for two-hand operation. In contrary of portable camcorder, for example. 

it’s nice to be able to use the camera one handed for those times when your other hand is used for something else.

Easy with pancakes. For medium-sized or big lenses, add a good grip.

• 11 months later...

I think the 23 will be fine, as the X-M1 is not that small. I did the same as you and started with a low cost deal on an X-M1, and even though I now have an X-E2 and a wide range of lenses, the X-M1 plus the 27mm is still my most used combination as they seem to be made for each other, and together they make a great travel camera. And the 27 is a lot cheaper than the 23!

Hi frankinfuji.

Since u use 27mm, may i know how the lens on potrait? This my first venture to Fuji X series. but on budget mode too. Eyeing on 27mm cos it is the only pancakes lens i found for Fuji.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...