Purple Image Error X-T2 (and X-pro 2) with backlight

Guest asgy photography

The effect is very dependent on the angle and the position of the sun - very low sun (just before sunset) leads to it easily, especially with certain lenses like the 56mm/1.2, it happens most easily with this one. But i.e. in the mountains, with the sun high up, it does not happen at all.

The effect is very dependent on the angle and the position of the sun - very low sun (just before sunset) leads to it easily, especially with certain lenses like the 56mm/1.2, it happens most easily with this one. But i.e. in the mountains, with the sun high up, it does not happen at all.

So to avoid the problem one has to opt for the most unphotogenic light possible? Sweet!

…Over the years with the Fuji system I've seen a lot of various sensor artifacts. As for the most annoying artifact, the award definitely goes to what I call an "AF pixel shadow". When you do a complex postproduction on darkly exposed files (star trails, focus stacking etc), oftentimes the entire cross-sensor AF zone suddenly presents itself as a weird pattern contained in a rectangle. The only workaround is to camouflage it with some compulsory artwork.

And the purple sensor flare always seems to ruin the best candid shot in the series. That's why I call it "Murphy's flare".

Is this only happening when the sun is at the very top or just outside of the frame? i have not experienced it and like shooting into the sun but I usually the sun is either seen in the frame or hidden behind an object in the frame. Looking at the photos in this thread where the issue occurs, it appears the sun has been out of the frame. I'm curious to know what triggers the issue.

So to avoid the problem one has to opt for the most unphotogenic light possible? Sweet!

So, do you call "photogenic" to shot with a glare in your frame? do you really like it?

I all the time guessed I had to avoid the sun hitting my lens although it was not in my frame, just to care a little about the final picture, you know...

cheers

You may need to wait a few years before you can get a camera that can take those shots, by overexposing by that much you are lighting the inside of your camera like a Christmas Tree and all bets are off for quality. The current crop of cameras can only handle 13-14EV. The Finepix S5 Pro could do that 10 years ago so sensor technology has not improved much for dynamic range but as we all know it has in other areas.

The cross hatch pattern are demosaic patters resulting from missing recognizable color information - you get similar patterns at very high ISO and it ain't pretty close up but not directly visible by the time you have something print worthy or downsize for computer and tablet screens.

If the shots were actually "keepers"  there is still a lot you do to recover in post. I have attached my take on it ( I had to compress a little to get the size down).

The Trees: I ran max Highlight Recovery and tight Curves on one, Knocked out Magenta and Purple on one, and show the original for the sake of the Histogram and Blow-Out warning.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by asathor

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sorry, but I have X-T2 since october 2016 as profi user and w/o any purple artefacts. This purple "mistake" is not problem of Fuji sensor, but it is mostly mistake of photographer. The same purple flare with diverse artefacts is to see on other cameras as CaNikon/Pentax/Oly etc. To solve this problem (when needed) is possible RAW editing in Rawtherapee with custom demosaic settings.

Talbot Trenton:

What is photogenic light? :o

Edited by hildasea

Unfortunately this phenomenon happens quite often (or it is just me being unlucky :) )

Here I was using my hand to block off the light to get rid of sun flare, and it also eliminated purple grid effect