Purple Image Error X-T2 (and X-pro 2) with backlight

Guest asgy photography

Guest asgy photography

A few days ago a X-T2 User told me about a significant issue when taking pictures with backlight with the X-T2.

It´s quite easy to reproduce this problems, and, although I very seldom take pictures with such backlight, this is something that must not occur.
Here are his examples:
https://www.dropbox.com/…/a…/AACiF59IP0e8u5rjsrh7oxi8a/X-T2…
This issue is alsready mentioned at least in the german fuji-forum but here some - obviously paid by fuji - make helpful suggestions like: Don´t take backlight-pictures - change to another system - every system has it´s problems - change the direction or other bullshit.
But with a little research you can see, that this is not a singular problem and it´s easy to reproduce, like I did today.
I know, that new cameras often have faults (I had a Nikon D600 with multiple oil spots years ago), but:
Why does Fuji not answer (he already asked them)? That´s not professional.
Does anybody know anything about such issues?
Will there be any corrective action by Fuji?

Don´t get me wrong: I do like the X-System, but I don´t want to accept such issues in a camera on that price level.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Guest asgy photography

That´s true, I also have positive experience with my X-Pro 2. This is of course an exception, but there are some who have this problem, and it´s definitely not a lens flare. Will be interesting to see, what this is.

Guest asgy photography

Meanwhile I heard, that this occurs in several mirrorless system. The reason is, that the back lens is very close to the sensor and in some situations this is the reason for some mirroring between the lens and the sensor. Change the angel a little bit, and it disappears. So: That´s what we learned today :-) 

@asgy photography

Why do you assume that people who don't perceive it as a problem are "obviously paid by Fujifilm"? If I was in that group (I am not; don't have a X-Pro2 or X-T2, and have no opinion on the issue) I would demand an apology from you. Unless you have proof for your statements, stay away from the ad hominem attacks.

I have to support this findings, because I have the X-T2 since two weeks and today I took a backlight outdoor shot with 23mm F2, you can see the full picture and the 100% crop region, too.

I think the purple halo can be considered an inevitable consequence of the lens anti-glare coating (sometimes it happened with my old Nikon DLSR), but the very bad thing is its fabric-like texture which is very artificial and geometrical (X-Trans pattern?).

Anyone else has some other information about this?

Thanks

Edited by guidobartoli80

One thing to consider to not have this problem is no filter on the lens.  Are these problems happening with no filter?

I ask because I purchased a B+W filter for my 10-24/F4 (simply a clear protective filter) and I had something that never happened before.  When shooting towards a light source (such as an object that was back lit) I was getting what I can best describe as a reflection of light in one part of the frame ... which resulted in a noticeable area have a white/low contrast spot.  At first I could not figure out what was happening in certain lighting conditions.  I then clued in that this started to happen when I put the new B+W filter on.  So now I don't use any filters on that lens ... and problem hasn't re-occurred.

• 3 weeks later...

I think what you are seeing is the reflection of the sensor itself on the rear element of the lens.

the sun is hitting the reflector at just such an angle that it's reflecting and reappearing and photographing itself.

....should have read the sun is hitting the SENSOR at just such an angle that it's reflecting

Pretty nasty!  

The X-T1 didn’t suffer reflexions on the sensors in this way ( although I recall some people complaining of observing the grid under some video shooting conditions).

The X-T1 had for some a certain red dot flare when shooting against the sunlight.

I’ve personally never observed this although it might have been also depending on the lens that you have on your camera and the angle of the sun.

I don’t think that this is an issue that can be corrected by software as it seems to to concern the lens and the internal reflections on the glass surface of the sensor revealing its grid.

This is a X-T1 picture with the 12mm Samyang. Obviously the sensor wasn’t affected as in the examples above.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

unfortunately you will have to live with this issue or you have to sell for camera ;-)

By that time it's a well known and described phenomenon of the sensor (X-T2 and X-Pro2) and the only chance to avoid it is to be careful and change the camera position a little bit when you see it in the EVF.

You will find much more about it here: 

http://www.mirrorlessons.com/2016/07/25/fujifilm-x-pro2-grid-artefacts/

And yes, you can find some problems with purple flare with other systems as well (remember Olympus OM-D with the Panasonic 7-14), but I've never seen such grid pattern anywhere else. And it is very easy to reproduce this kind of grid pattern... fortunately you can see it in the EVF and changing the angle a little bit to avoid it is easy as well. I own the X-T2 and the X-Pro2 and have to live with the issue as well...

I wanted to upload some examples I've shot with the X-T2 but I didn't find the button for attachments... is it that complicated or am I just blind? ;-)

Update: Ah, found it...

Edited by batian

another reason not to desire upgrading my X-T1 then.

Maybe yes... on the other hand I would like to emphasize that at least under my personal photographic "real life conditions" (with pictures like in my Instagram account) I've recognized the grid pattern in one picture in six month of use. And not as bad as in the shown examples of course. Furthermore the problem is dependent on the lens to a certain extent. The XF56 is significantly worse in this aspect than the XF35F2 or the XF16 e.g... All in all no really big deal for me untill now. But if someone is specialized in portraiture under real harsh backlight conditions at the beach... puh, then I'm not sure if I would recommend the cameras to him or her...

no, but after the honeymoon period ( de few months after the intoduction of the new cameras) now a lot of people start realizing that the “ improvements” are mostly negligible while the price they paid for those questionable “ improvements” is absolutely tangible.

Again If I’d shot the picture above with the X-T2 I’d be now complaining. But I am not, because I didn’t use the X-T2 but my X-T1.

Edited by milandro

no, but after the honeymoon period ( de few months after the intoduction of the new cameras) now a lot of people start realizing that the “ improvements” are mostly negligible while the price they paid for those questionable “ improvements” is absolutely tangible.

Again If I’d shot the picture above with the X-T2 I’d be now complaining. But I am not, because I didn’t use the X-T2 but my X-T1.

Ok, in that respect I clearly have to contradict. ;-) I don't think the improvements are "negligible". In the case of the X-T2 they are huge imho, in the case of the X-Pro2 the improvements are nothing else than spectacular. Those improvements have been the reason for me to switch to the system... nonetheless, the grid pattern are annoying though.

huge, spectacular, wow!

Big words.

I’ve yet to find a picture that could  be made with the two new cameras and could NOT be made with the old one. 

The joystick is much criticized , the video functions don’t interest me. I can print 2 X 1 meter with the X-T1 and the difference with the X-T2 will still be almost invisible.

Obviously we live in a different world. I am happy and you are too.

huge, spectacular, wow!

Big words.

I’ve yet to find a picture that could  be made with the two new cameras and could NOT be made with the old one. 

The joystick is much criticized , the video functions don’t interest me. I can print 2 X 1 meter with the X-T1 and the difference with the X-T2 will still be almost invisible.

Obviously we live in a different world. I am happy and you are too.

Obviously we do... ;-)

As we both seem to be happy with our choice, there is no need to debate further more. Just some remarks from my site: nor did I say you can't make the same pictures with each camera neither did I talk about image quality in general in my posts. Most of the improvements (especially with the X-Pro2!!!) are ergonomically and yes, I think those improvements (for the X-Pro2 e.g. the excellent and extremely useful joystick, the speed, the EVF, the AF, the button layout and many other things) are highly appreciated and very important for me and my work as well as for the joy to use the cameras. So I stand by my word: the improvements are huge for the X-T2 and spectacular for the X-Pro2. But hey, to each his own!

With this in mind, cheers and keep on shooting with whichever camera you like... ;-)   

• 2 weeks later...

I'm lucky, because I can recreate the grid artifacts also with my X-T1 (in this case with the 35mmF1.4 attached) :-)

But a minimal adjustment by super-slightly changing the angle, and it's gone.

I hear and read that this is an issue also with Olympus and other mirrorless cameras, due to the reflection of the light hitting the sensor on the rear element of the lens.