XF 50mm Rumors

Patrick FR

I have the 56 F1.2. I like it, but honestly it's not that much better than the 50mm f/1.8 f/1.4 from other brands which are a fraction of the cost. It's also way too heavy to be a good lens for walk-around, street photography type stuff.

I'd much rather have the 50mm F2. Hopefully (because 50mm is an 'easy' lens to design) it won't have as much distortion as the 35mm F2 does (and therefore require less software correction). If we're lucky it also won't be totally soft wide open when close focusing like the 35mm and 23mm F2 are...

It'll be weather sealed and have fast, silent AF.

In almost every respect it'll be a better lens than the 56mm F1.2 and cost less to boot. 

But if you still need to get eyelashes out of focus, then the 56mm is it.

Personally, I usually shoot the 56mm a minimum f number of 2 or 2.8 anyway, even for portraits.

This will be a perfect compliment to the 23 f/2. 

I already have the 35 f/2 and the 50 f/2 is probably too close in focal lenght to be worth it. So would I would want is a perfect compliment to the 35 f/2.

A small wideangle WR lens. Yes there's the 18 and 16 but the 18 f/2 is small, but not WR, the 16 f/1.4 is WR but not small.

And to be extra greedy a 70 f/2 as AceFlibble mentioned. 18 f/2 WR + 35 f/2 WR + 75 f/2 WR. Perfect trio.

Edited by Hermelin

• 2 weeks later...

I'd only consider this lens if it was.......

Yeah can't really think of a use for it, got to much cross over in my current kit

Focus speed is not relevant as it is sub 1 second 99% of the time with every lens I own

DOF for 50mm at F/2 at 2m is very similar to the 60mm F/2.4 at 2m (or 35mm @ F1.4)

So wouldn't buy it for DOF

I can walk the difference between 50mm and 60mm

If I really needed the 50mm length, I could drop on the XF18-55, or XC16-50

However, if I didn't own any lens and didn't require the 0.5 magnification of the XF60 and the XF50 was cheaper I may buy it along with some of the other new lenses

• 4 weeks later...

For those of us who have grown up shooting with 35mm film rangefinders this lens is... overdue! Something this size that works as an equivalent to the 90mm 'cron (or zeiss, or the Canon 85 or the Nikkor 105/2.5...) is a fine thing.

The 56/1.2 and 90/2 are fine optics but tough to just carry in your jacket every day. Right now making due with a little Meike or the 56, I'll be quite happy when I can drop the 50WR into my pockets.

• 1 month later...