Looking for a lens to get 'real' 35mm

I'm looking for a small sized, portable lens with 23mm or 35mm (if it's a 35mm lens, it needs to be compatible with a Meta bone or Zhongyi adapter to get 'real' [full frame wise] 35mm). The Fujinon seems too bulky to me, despite the excellent quality!

The Voigtländer lenses are very interesting, but there is no compatibility (Leica M) with the current Metabone/Zhongyi lineup. Although, the Voigtländer focal lengths are a bit odd for my wish list.

The adapters you would have to use negates your comments about bulkiness IMO, I shoot canon FD, M42 and Leica on my X-T1.  The cost of a speed booster is not cheap either ($150-500?, maybe you already own one?).  Fast vintage 24mm-ish lenses are also not exactly the cheapest out there.  Modern fast 24's designed for non-APS-C sensors with an adapter, is a crazy way to go, unless you have all that gear already.  

If you want the "real" 35mm focal length experience on a Fuji mirrorless, the answer is the XF 23mm. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

23mm is not a very common focal length and the XF23mm is probably the best performance vs price around.  However, if you are think of a (D)SLR lens 24mm is fairly common both for full-frame digital and film era bodies.  BIG HOWEVER, in F/1.4 it is likely to be very expensive.

• 3 weeks later...

Rezzo, you'll get 35e FOV but with the cropped perspective of a 23/24mm. You know how you can get very close with a super-wide, or with more foreground than a normal lens? It's a different image result than from a 35mm on a film camera.

Not true at all. Perspective distortion depends only on distance, not focal length. You can make a test, put a camera on a tripod, shoot a frame with a wide-angle lens, change the lens to a tele then shoot another frame. Take the first frame and crop it to the same framing as the tele shot. I can guarantee you that both pictures will have the same perspective. A 23/24mm on an aps-c sensor will look completly identical to a 35mm on full frame (depth of field will be different with the same apertures though).

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

the look you are after is obtainable with a metabones speedbooster   and a Nikon  35mm f2  which behaves at its marked focal length 

but somewhat like a 1.4 lens  on full frame  due to the condensation of the speedbooster light increasing [ over a smaller circle] effects... the  35 mm nikkor ais  1.4 ais is unnecessary IMHO  ... payback over cost   is has a lot of coma and is slightly soft wide open   ... every lens gets back that magic 35mm filmic look on a speedbooster ifind  

the speedbooster is one of the most enjoyable and useful purchases ive ever made in optics .... i find it amazing and it shortens the total length of the adapted lens as well.

Edited by cosinaphile

My two cents:  K.I.S.S.  Keep It Simple Silly.  Why go through the freakin' hassle of adapters, adopting, blah blah blah.  Why? just so you can say you did it?  So you can say you can?  Screw that. Give me auto focus, 1.4 aperture anyway.   Dude, you will NOT be able to tell the difference between this Voightblowhard lens, and the Fuji 23 1.4 in a PRINT at ANY SIZE, anyway of the week and I don't care what anyone says here.  Stop trying to impress others.  Period.

Come on folks.  Are we here to take pictures, or be equipment masterbators?  

The Rokinon 21/1.4 is a bit wider than you requested (about 32mm eq FOV), but it is a native X Mount lens, requires no adapter, and is reputed to be quite good. (Some sample variability aside.) B&H has them in stock for $379. No chip to communicate with camera, but seems like a good value otherwise. Buy new and return it if you don't like it.

My two cents:  K.I.S.S.  Keep It Simple Silly.  Why go through the freakin' hassle of adapters, adopting, blah blah blah.  Why? just so you can say you did it?  So you can say you can?  Screw that. Give me auto focus, 1.4 aperture anyway.   Dude, you will NOT be able to tell the difference between this Voightblowhard lens, and the Fuji 23 1.4 in a PRINT at ANY SIZE, anyway of the week and I don't care what anyone says here.  Stop trying to impress others.  Period.

There are good reason to go after old lenses:

http://www.fuji-x-forum.com/topic/325-old-lenses-for-dummies/?p=21271

http://www.fuji-x-forum.com/topic/325-old-lenses-for-dummies/?p=5020

On top of the reasons already explained in the posts linked above, which I totally agree with, I'm personally glad I looked for manual lenses.

Shooting manual forced me to learn the basics, it's relatively cheap (and this helps a lot when you can't afford expensive gears), and many of those lenses deliver beautiful renders.

But all of this and more has been already covered, better than I could do, in the post above.

I'd only like to add that there isn't any big hassle actually in using old lenses.

All the adapters are out there (and they cost a few bucks) and mirrorless cameras are the best candidate for this operation.

Fujis manual focus assist works just great (I actually find it better than Sonys, or at least faster).

As for the OP request, I myself wanted to get as close to the 35 as possible.

I ended up buying a Nikon 24 f/2.8, which is not exactly what the OP asks for, even though pretty close.

Other than the 2.8 vs 1.4, it's a beautiful lens, extremely good for Street Photography and with patience can be found for little money (there's one right now on eBay for $84).

I also bought a OM Zuiko 24 f/2.8, wich is more compact and now stays on my camera all time.

I shoot on a A6000. My girlfriend is using a Nikon 50 f/1.4 in her X-T10, results are great and sharpness is really good as well.

Just my 2 c.

Edited by verysame

its only ia hassle if your unacquainted  with it  ... a set of 5 adapters will allow you to use 98 percent of old slr  and rangefinder glass out there and cost almost nothing ... there is nothing wrong with mf lenses they work great  and allow  an nice visceral connection with the shooting process missing with af lenses ... its probably not for you and thats fine ....just fine 

almost any lens from the 1960s on  will give adequate results ...most bad shots are user error or inexperience  or a poor skill set ...................that how it is    .... af has been the great help of many .... or one can do absolutely nothing but hold up a phone  and point

auto everything .... never miss a shot and 28mm everything .....yawn