Looking for a lens to get 'real' 35mm

Get the Fujinon. It's one of best lenses I've ever used so far regarding IQ. Old lenses with  f/1.4 don't exist if you're planning adapting a 'vintage' lens.

MiMA is totally right. I think you will have problems to find such a lens.

I think one of the fastest speed boosterable vintage 35mm lens is the Minolta 35/1.8 http://artaphot.ch/minolta-sr/objektive/149-minolta-35mm-f18. Also you can check some 35/1.8 M42 lenses here: http://m42lens.com/. You can speed boost M42 with a Minolta speed booster plus a Minolta to M42 adapter.

But maybe the none vintage SLR Magic 23/1.7 is an option for you: http://www.thephoblographer.com/2013/05/01/review-slr-magic-23mm-f1-7-fujifilm-x-mount/#.VXLl-EYvtgA

Or the similar Mitakon 24/1.7.

( If size and especially price doesn't matter you also could adapt Canon's or Nikon's 24/1.4. Or Canon's, Nikon's, Samyang's or Sigma's 35/1.4 with a speed booster. But these lenses aren't vintage neither. Also you can speed boost this lens http://www.zeiss.de/camera-lenses/de_de/camera_lenses/slr-lenses/distagont1435.html. )

I'm looking for a small sized, portable lens with 23mm or 35mm (if it's a 35mm lens, it needs to be compatible with a Metabone or Zhongyi adapter to get 'real' [full frame wise] 35mm). The Fujinon seems too bulky to me, despite the excellent quality!

The Voigtländer lenses are very interesting, but there is no compatibility (Leica M) with the current Metabone/Zhongyi lineup. Although, the Voigtländer focal lengths are a bit odd for my wish list

For the price of a new lens you could easily get a used x100 s/t in my opinion. The best 35mm experience you can get! I have a xt1 and x100s combo. Makes a very good backup camera and no fiddling with lens changes. The x100 s/t doesn't really take more space in your bag then an extra lens. You do get less speed and dof 2 vs 1.4 though, but that shouldn't be a big issue.

For the price of a new lens you could easily get a used x100 s/t in my opinion. The best 35mm experience you can get! I have a xt1 and x100s combo. Makes a very good backup camera and no fiddling with lens changes. The x100 s/t doesn't really take more space in your bag then an extra lens. You do get less speed and dof 2 vs 1.4 though, but that shouldn't be a big issue.

What JL said.....

Thanks for your input. I'm definitely not considering the Fuji X100S or T. I already own a Helios 44M and Helios 40-2 (M42) and expect to use them at some point. (Waiting for the Xpro2 currently and I've just sold my Canon 5D Mk II).

I don't know whether those old Helios lenses are comparable with the X100 range. I'm no expert, but a quick look on Wikipedia tells me that they're both short telephotos, whereas the X100 is a 35mm-equivalent. With a far smaller, more portable lens, if small and portable is what you're looking for. I have an XT1 and an X100S, which is my travel, 'stealth' or inconspicuous camera, for when I want to travel light and when I don't want to look like 'The Photographer'. It's an amazing and pocketable little camera - which is why pros like Annie Liebowitz use them as their 'fun' cameras. I can understand why you might want to use old 35mm film camera lenses from a retro-hobbyist point of view, in the same way that people like to collect and drive pre-war cars. But from a photographic point of view, Fuji's latest kit outperforms them in pretty much every way. Modern lens coatings, materials and autofocus technology in a retro-styled package. Perfect!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for your input. I'm definitely not considering the Fuji X100S or T. I already own a Helios 44M and Helios 40-2 (M42) and expect to use them at some point. (Waiting for the Xpro2 currently and I've just sold my Canon 5D Mk II).

I'm not sure if you're gonna be satisfied using these lenses. It seems to me you'll probably not gonna use them very often. You're going to be much more satisfied with the quality of the xf lenses. If you want a 35mm experience in small format, then your best option will be the xf27mm pancake. It's small and closest to 35mm (40mm) you can get in a small form factor. No aperture ring though. I passed on the slrmagic because of its size and realized I didn't need another 35mm equivalent lens, because I already got a x100. Maybe just be patient. Fujifilm is introducing a "smaller" 35mm the end of this year. Maybe they'll do the same with the 23mm...

• 4 months later...

But, as I understand, OP wants a lens which will work as a 35mm once it is on an aps-c camera so he wants either a legacy 35mm lens with a focal reducer can be used as a 35mm on a aps-c or a 21-23-24mm which once on the aps-c works as a +/- 35mm

the 27mm fuji won’t fall in these categories

I've been looking at vintage lenses for a 21 or 24mm for a while, and it's hard. Wide angle vintage lenses are really expensive, and mostly because they are rare. They're also very rarely faster than 2.8. Making a SLR lens faster than that would make it very large, the reason the Fujinon and Samyang/Rokinon lenses are small and fast is that they were made for cameras with ASP-C and short flange focus distance.

I've especially been trying to find a 24mm Hexanon, specifically because the AR mount has one of the shortest flange focus distances of the SLR systems, which means that the adapter is smaller and it all fits much better on a small camera body like the X-E2.

Indeed the 21 Ultron or a Summilux will cost you an arm and a leg.

But in the 24mm department there are many lenses which shouldn’t break the bank mostly 2.8

Zuiko 

Nikkor 

Vivitar 

Tamron 

Soligor 

Sigma

There are also lesser known brands , often made by the same factories