EVF not showing exp comp result.. bug or feature?

voodooless

I'm not sure if I found a bug, or if I missed a setting here.. What I found is that sometimes, the exposure compensation setting is not visible in the EVF (have not checked the LCD). Only when I half press the shutter, will the correct exposure be shown. Strangely this it not always the case. Yesterday It was first stuck the way I described, and after a off-on cycle, it was normal again.

I even occurs when exp comp is at zero. The exposure then significantly changes when I half press the shutter (It mostly gets muchbrighter). I'm in AFS mode, tried various metering modes, preview picture effect is also. I'm not using any exposure locking (remapped the buttons), at least, not that I'm aware of. oh, and DR is set to a fixed setting, not auto DR.

I guess I'm dooing something wrong here.. This is at least not something I've seen before with the X-E2.

Edited by voodooless

I'm not sure if I found a bug, or if I missed a setting here.. What I found is that sometimes, the exposure compensation setting is not visible in the EVF (have not checked the LCD). Only when I half press the shutter, will the correct exposure be shown. Strangely this it not always the case. Yesterday It was first stuck the way I described, and after a off-on cycle, it was normal again.

I even occurs when exp comp is at zero. The exposure then significantly changes when I half press the shutter (It mostly gets muchbrighter). I'm in AFS mode, tried various metering modes, preview picture effect is also. I'm not using any exposure locking (remapped the buttons), at least, not that I'm aware of. oh, and DR is set to a fixed setting, not auto DR.

I guess I'm dooing something wrong here.. This is at least not something I've seen before with the X-E2.

Is "Preview exposure and white balance" on or off?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Auto brightness of the EVF could cause confusion.  That is a good point.  I'll have to look at what mine is set to because I know there have been times where I have been confused as to what the final exposure will be versus what I'm seeing in the EVF.  

I have always assumed that I cannot trust what I see in the EVF as final exposure when the camera is in any auto-metering mode.  But I think I have changed the exposure compensation when shooting Aperture priority and see the EVF change (some of the time).

i have the same experience and it has nothing to do with auto brightness. I tried all kind of Settings (and i'm no amateur) and the preview you see on evf or on the screen changes when you actually take the pic. 

Try it yourself, you can see it best when you take a dark picture. The final image is brighter and less saturated than the preview.

I tested the same with the x-t1 and its much less obvious.

So i think its a bug of the x-t2 and i hope fuji will address it with a firmware update

Edited by qwertz7

I tried all kind of Settings (and i'm no amateur) and the preview you see on evf or on the screen changes when you actually take the pic. 

The thing is, it does not always do that, and if it does, the image is always overexposed compared to preview. And then there is the thing where the exp. comp. does nothing for the preview (it does show then half pressed). Still can't except that this is somehow not a user (my ;) ) error.. Otherwise many more people must notice this I would think.

Edited by voodooless

It is possible that the metering mode you have the camera set to is different than what the EVF is using to show preview.  I'm not sure but if the EVF always uses full scene metering but the camera is set to spot metering ... you'll get different results in the image than what the EVF is showing.   I have had that throw me off before.  I find for consistency I shoot in manual and have the EVF set to exposure preview so that I see what the exposure will be.  As long as I'm not needing TTL flash in a poorly lit area, this works for me.

When I shot traditional SLR the image in the pentaprism always showed the current lighting conditions, so I had to rely on the exposure meter when shooting manual.  I found with the EVF that it throws me off when set to auto-brightness/exposure because the scene will (most of the time) look good but the resulting image may be a different brightness when I have the camera in my commonly used aperture priority simply because the metering mode I have the camera in is different than whatever the EVF is using for auto-brightness preview.

• 1 month later...

Well, there are a few things that bother me here. I've made a video that exactly shows the problem.

Now you'll notice a few things:

- initially exposure looks good

- When I half-press to focus, the image looks overexposed

- this happens in ALL metering modes

So my question would now be: what is the use of the histogram? If the exposure changes after I half-press the shutter, and the histogram is gone in the newly exposed image.. then what use was the previous histogram? It clearly does not represent the image that's I'm about to take.

And note that it does this in any and all metering modes. I checked them all, it does not matter. It can also go the other way, so a half-press under-exposed the image. Or it can be fine.. it al depends on the scene..

Oh, and another puzzle would be the exposure itself, why use ISO 10k and 1/125 at f5.6 in daylight? The actual image taken a few seconds later is at only ISO 3200 (and DR200).

Edited by voodooless

Have you considered sending it back and getting a replacement. It's a lot of money for a camera that seems to be faulty.

BTW you do know there isn't actually a dark side of the moon? :)

Well, then I'd first need to know that it's actually faulty, and not my own stupid mistake.

Well I'm sure that if Adam (who's Adam?) said that, back in early November, then all is well; enjoy your camera. Don't worry it's probably a feature.

I still know what I'd do :)

Sorry Adam, but I don't know you from...

No, the sample size is far to low... One Adam does not make the world (well, maybe once he did ;) ). So would love to hear for other people if they noticed this as well.

Have you tried resetting the camera? I have an X-T2 and I've never seen it do this, but I also don't think you've given enough information to allow people to replicate your settings. Another user on the forum has claimed to have a similar problem with the preview that only occurred when the JPEG colorspace was set to AdobeRGB. Have you tried using sRGB?

Have you tried resetting the camera? I have an X-T2 and I've never seen it do this, but I also don't think you've given enough information to allow people to replicate your settings. Another user on the forum has claimed to have a similar problem with the preview that only occurred when the JPEG colorspace was set to AdobeRGB. Have you tried using sRGB?

Yes, I have seen that, but that's not it (I was using sRGB already anyway). This happens even before I take a picture, and is highly dependant on lighting conditions. So it does not show up all the time.

Regarding settings, I can give you the highlight of the things that I think might influence this:

- metering mode: does not matter, they all do this

- preview picture effect is "on"

- EVF brightness is at -1, but had it on auto before

- Film simulation. Have it on Provia at the moment, but I don't think it matters, have also seen it on the other modes

- DR is either off or DR200, I don't use auto.

If there are more settings of interest, let me know.

I will try a reset this weekend..

Edited by voodooless

Yes, I have seen that, but that's not it (I was using sRGB already anyway). This happens even before I take a picture, and is highly dependant on lighting conditions. So it does not show up all the time.

Regarding settings, I can give you the highlight of the things that I think might influence this:

- metering mode: does not matter, they all do this

- preview picture effect is "on"

- EVF brightness is at -1, but had it on auto before

- Film simulation. Have it on Provia at the moment, but I don't think it matters, have also seen it on the other modes

- DR is either off or DR200, I don't use auto.

If there are more settings of interest, let me know.

I will try a reset this weekend..

Your settings are basically identical to mine (except I never use anything other than DR100). What do you think it is about the lighting conditions that triggers the issue? Is it something I could recreate at home?

Your settings are basically identical to mine (except I never use anything other than DR100). What do you think it is about the lighting conditions that triggers the issue? Is it something I could recreate at home?

I'm not sure.. In the case of the video it was in the morning, and I was directing the camera towards the sun (which was still behind the trees). I also think the scene needs to have a fair amount of dynamic range.

Oh btw, I was in AUTO ISO (1/125 200-12800), and aperture priority.

Edit: it just happens again.. don't ask me why.. what I could find out was this:

- DR setting does not affect this

- changing the aperture does: in this last cast, the effect was only visible at f2.8. When I turned the aperture smaller, the problem went away.

- turning the camera off and on does not help

Edited by voodooless

Did you ever say which lens you were using?

In this case XF16-55. Will try with XF35F1.4 today. Meanwhile I went back to the shop and showed them the video. They agreed that this should not happen, but they could not say if it was the body or the lens. I also contacted Fuji support directly to see if they can help. Will report back obviously.

You've waited over two months to troubleshoot with another lens. You don't know after two months if it's the lens or body. You've waited over two months before taking it back to the retailer. The retailer didn't know if it was the body or lens; did they not volunteer to find out for you? Exercise your consumer rights. You are relying on strangers on a forum to advise if you have a faulty set up or not. Strikes me as strange.

Did you buy the camera as a kit or body only? Take it back and insist on a replacement, you have a faulty product. Make a decision for goodness sake.

Edited by MirrorMirror

You've waited over two months to troubleshoot with another lens. You don't know after two months if it's the lens or body. You've waited over two months before taking it back to the retailer. You are relying on strangers on a forum to advise if you have a faulty set up or not. Strikes me as strange.

Did you buy the camera as a kit or body only? Take it back and insist on a replacement, you have a faulty product. Make a decision for goodness sake.

The thing is, I don't earn any money with it. I have it for fun, so I'm not in a hurry. I still have several years or warranty left. I don't make thousands of images every month, and don't have the time to experiment around a lot. This issue only pop up rarely, and quite honestly I cannot see how I could relate this to a hardware problem with the body. And for the rest, I like it very much, so don't want to part with it if it is not needed. So no, I'm not going to send anything back until I know what I need to send back (no, it was not a kit), specially not around Christmas time. In the meantime I'll see what Fuji support says about the issue.

Edited by voodooless