X-T2 Autofocus issues at the long end of 18-135mm

mostlyphotos

I have been playing with the X-T2 and found that it doesn't seem to like AF tracking at the extreme end of the 18-135mm 'Super Kit' lens...

It focuses once but does not re-focus as the subject/camera distance shifts.

If I zoom back to around 100mm then I have no issues... I have updated the lens to the latest firmware.

I posted this on the DPReview Forum and other posters have reported the same issue when they tried it…

Chris

I haven't noticed any problem like you describe with the 55-200 (although I'm not sure I entirely understand the problem you're describing).

However, I will point out that AF performance is always going to be worse at the long end of a variable aperture zoom. That's one of the reasons why sports shooters fixed aperture f/2.8 lenses...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

I have the same problem that this 18-135mm zoom being unable to focus beyond roughly above 70mm. The focus confirmation remains white and there is "! AF" flahsing in red. Also occasionally, I have the green focus confirmation but the subject is out of focus (always at the longer end of the zoom). Firmware is the latest 1.11. Any suggestion apprceciated. I'm re-reading the whole user manual to see if there is something else to adjust. Otherwise, I'll have no choice but to have it checked by Fuji. Thank you.

Update: I may have found the solution, if this helps, please leave a message here.

1. Menu

2. AF/MF

3. Go down the list to AF+MF and set it to OFF

I have been trying this over 2 days now, it works well at the long end between 70mm to 135mm.

As to the cause, I'll spend more time on it later on, it really should work properly even when AF+MF is set to ON.

Edited by frhout