Compact Travel Video Rig

corama

questions for video folks.... any clues?

1. I'm looking for a very compact stabilization rig for X-T2 to make quick videos (specially while walking) that can fit in my travel bag. I do not need pro grade rigs, just want to avoid getting a headache every time I watch the videos....

2. would the AF noise of the 23 1.4 or 56 be picked by camera mic?? should I use an external mic instead?

thanks!

At some point in the future I want to explore the video functionality of my X-T2 as well. I was looking at:

- Feiyu MG gimbal http://www.feiyu-tech.com/products/31/ (around 650-800 euro)

- Sirui video monopod http://www.sirui.eu/en/products/monopods/ps-series/ (around 170-300 euro voor monopod only, 150 euro voor fluid video head)

Cheaper option is a steadycam, like the Ringlight Steadycam Stabilizer S40 for 150 euro.

Did some tests in my X-T1 with the 18-55mm F2.8-4 OIS.  Standing still, I can shoot video as on a tripod.  When walking on smooth ground, if I work really hard, I can shoot smooth video.  Sometimes.  Rough ground, there is too much motion.  35mm seems to be the limit where it starts to look really bad.  

The worse is the pan, as the OIS seems to allow pan mode and look at just tilt stabilized.  Then the pan stops abruptly and reverse.  Really not good enough.  

I'll have to try it with a folded up tripod or monopod for some more mass, but I would have no problems with video from a still position.  Especially with a monopod in the mix.

Make sure to pick up ND filters for the lenses with which you want to shoot video.  In sunlight, I had to use stacked 8, 4, and 2 stop ND filters to get the frame rate down to 1/60 at ISO 200 and 2.8 aperture (These are cheap ND filters so they may be only 10-12 stops total.  If you haven't done much video, you need to keep the shutter speed at about 2x frame rate for smooth looking video.  Otherwise, you get strobing instead of motion blur.  That makes video much harder to watch. 

Edited by sacherjj

@sacherjj

Make sure to pick up ND filters for the lenses with which you want to shoot video.  In sunlight, I had to use stacked 8, 4, and 2 stop ND filters to get the frame rate down to 1/60 at ISO 200 and 2.8 aperture (These are cheap ND filters so they may be only 10-12 stops total.  If you haven't done much video, you need to keep the shutter speed at about 2x frame rate for smooth looking video.  Otherwise, you get strobing instead of motion blur.  That makes video much harder to watch. 

Good to know, thanks for the advice, I do have a ND, but  I think is only a 4. Will work if I shoot at f8 or f16 to get to 1/60? just to test what you say and then after I get some experience I may get more ND filters.