My 9 year old son wants his first digital camera - I would like it to be a Fuji

Randy Pollock

My son wants a digital camera to start taking pictures and I would love for it to be a Fuji ...the question is...

Money...

Can I get a decent camera for a 9 year old that's less than say $350.00 or am I going to have to get a different brand of point and shoot to meet that price point.

I'm new to the Fuji system myself as I only got the X-T2 when it first came out (along with the 16mm, 16-55mm, 90mm), but loving it.

The XQ2 looked promising but I see it's discontinued and I think I can only buy it from ebay (Hong Kong or Japan)

Any suggestions?

X-M1 for $150 and XC16-50 for $150, both on eBay.

If he treats them right, he may be able to use some of your other lenses some times.

This one ends in 11 hours with no bids: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fujifilm-X-Series-X-M1-16-3-MP-Digital-Camera-Black-Body-Only/272418298502?_trksid=p2141725.c100338.m3726&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20150313114020%26meid%3D1cc46c29eb6a4ee5ae260236818ee31c%26pid%3D100338%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D14%26sd%3D322282442855

Seeing buy it now for the lens at $150.

After speaking to the seller of a used X-M1 and seeing pictures of the camera and lens, I was able to win a used X-M1 with 16-55mm lens for 275...

He should enjoy it and of course being the concerned father that I am.... I'll have to test it out until Christmas (and even after Christmas) to make sure it works well.

:D

and to Hermelin, he was already using a old Olympus camera this year and enjoyed taking pictures and shooting video (of his hot wheels) so I think this will be a good investment.

Thank you to everyone that gave suggestions it was really helpful.

Not sure if the knock off extension tubes work, but might also be fun for taking that XC a little macro on the hot wheels.

I'll look into that when it gets here... of course buying on ebay is always a little scary for me...but hopefully the unit is as advertised ...I'll update next week when the camera gets here.

• 1 year later...

I held on to my x-m1 for to long and my young (almost 4) daughter uses it. It does not have a view finder but that is great for her. She only gets to use it with my supervision. For a 9 year old that would want to play with manual focus, or not... it would be great. With the XC lens it takes very good photos. I bet for 250 you could find a used one and spring for a new battery.

To update this post yes my son did get a X-M1and the 16-50mm lens. He has enjoyed it for over 1.5 years now. 

He is now 10 going on 11 and still enjoying it. We have had to replace the lens as the old one died, but he is still enjoying the camera.

Glad he's enjoying it! My 10 year old son is actually taking a once-a-week photography class for tweens that begins tonight. I picked up a used silver X-E2 off eBay for a couple hundred bucks and put a 27mm f/2.8 on it for him to use. Funded the purchase by selling off an old Canon G11 and some Canon flash triggers I had forgotten about that were just sitting in a drawer. He's excited to have a camera that "looks like Daddy's" (I have a silver X100F) and I figured if he actually gets into it he could try using any of my lenses, supervised of course.