Ken Rockwell X-T2 Review... X-T2 not really for Pro's

Patrick FR

From Ken Rockwell's Fujifilm X-T2 Review: "Fuji goes off about "pro" with this camera, but it's not really. If you want small, consider a small DSLR for the best of all worlds."

Review here: http://www.kenrockwell.com/fuji/x-t2.htm

Is Ken completely full of it?  Depends if he is putting his opinion out there or pretending to be an expert who can make such broad sweeping professional judgments. He has the right to opine but as for a professional assessment of a camera I see no reason to take him seriously.  His claims from time to time are less credible than click bait...

Yeah! As all our bloody hobbies are... :D

I reckon any single generation is tough to justify. I hung on to my Lumix G2 for years, and only the GX7 tempted me to upgrade. But then the X-E2 prompted a system change. The X-T2 is likely to tempt many DSLR users over to the dark side.

For X-T1 owners, the X-T3 may be a better option

I didn't spot this thread util after I had already made some comments about KR in a thread I started myself.  If there is a moderator reading this feel free to move it here.

Meanwhile, I suggest that you consider his comments about color rendition after you first look at his gallery on his sight. Don't want to disparage another's aesthetic taste, but his and mine certainly differ.

High ISO jpegs are still much better from my old Canon 6D. Fuji's low light jpg's look like cheap camera shots, noisy and all smeared.

The new XP2 and XT2 have a several year old Sony sensor...

They should have gone a FF way from the start.. A full frame sensor at 16mp would have been a monster killer..

So, yes if you want efficient camera to do (typical) weddings etc, Fuji may not be considered a pro camera.

For casual and street shooting it is great. I've had x100s, xt1, xp2 and now xt2... 

After having shot with the xt2 I realize that i overpaid for it, the camera is not much better than its predecessor...

you dont' have an XT2 , if you did you would not talk about it that way .....

Further proof of his Trump-ish idiocy: "Like a woman, it expects you to know what you're doing wrong with no explanation."

This stuck out in the review for me as well, more-so than his opinions on what is and isn't pro gear. I really wish we could get past this kind of toxic crap. Anyone who cares about the future of photography wants it to be an inclusive, all-creatives-are-welcome art form.

• 9 months later...

Ken Rockwell is the Chuck Norris of photography

Ken Rockwell's camera has similar settings to ours, except his are: P[erfect] Av[Awesome Priority Tv[Totally Awesome Priority] M[ajestic]

Ken Rockwell doesn't color correct. He adjusts your world to match his.

Sure, Ken Rockwell deletes a bad photo or two. Other people call these Pulitzers.

Ken Rockwell doesn't adjust his DOF, he changes space-time.

Circle of confusion? You might be confused. Ken Rockwell never is.

Ken Rockwell doesn't wait for the light when he shoots a landscape - the light waits for him.

Ken Rockwell never flips his camera in portrait position, he flips the earth

Ken Rockwell ordered an L-lens from Nikon, and got one.

Ken Rockwell is the only person to have photographed Jesus; unfortunately he ran out of film and had to use a piece of cloth instead.

When Ken Rockwell brackets a shot, the three versions of the photo win first place in three different categories

Before Nikon or Canon releases a camera they go to Ken and they ask him to test them, the best cameras get a Nikon sticker and the less good get a Canon sticker

Once Ken tested a camera, he said I cant even put Canon on this one,thats how Pentax was born

Rockwellian policy isn't doublethink - Ken doesn't even need to think once

Ken Rockwell doesn't use flash ever since the Nagasaki incident.

Only Ken Rockwell can take pictures of Ken Rockwell; everyone else would just get their film overexposed by the light of his genius

Ken Rockwell wanted something to distract the lesser photographers, and lo, there were ducks.

Ken Rockwell is the only one who can take self-portraits of you

Ken Rockwell's nudes were fully clothed at the time of exposure

Ken Rockwell once designed a zoom lens. You know it as the Hubble SpaceTelescope.

When Ken unpacks his CF card, it already has masterpieces on it.

Rockwell portraits are so lifelike, they have to pay taxes

On Ken Rockwell's desktop, the Trash Icon is really a link to National Geographic Magazine

Ken Rockwell spells point-and-shoot "h-a-s-s-e-l-b-l-a-d"

When Ken Rockwell went digital, National Geographic nearly went out of business because he was no longer phyically discarding photos

For every 10 shots that Ken Rockwell takes, 11 are keepers.

Ken Rockwell's digital files consist of 0's, 1's AND 2's.

Ken Rockwell never focus, everything moves into his DoF

Ken Rockwell's shots are so perfect, Adobe redesigned photoshop for him: all it consists of is a close button.

The term tripod was coined after his silhouette

Ken Rockwell never produces awful work, only work too advanced for the viewer

A certain braind of hig-end cameras was named after people noticed the quality was a lot "like a" rockwell

Ken Rockwell isn't the Chuck Norris of photography; Chuck Norris is the Ken Rockwell of martial arts.

Ken Rockwell never starts, he continues

Ken Rockwell's camera has similar settings to ours, except his are: P[erfect] Av[Awesome Priority Tv[Totally Awesome Priority] M[ajestic]

Sure, Ken Rockwell deletes a bad photo or two. Other people call these Pulitzers.

Ken Rockwell doesn't wait for the light when he shoots a landscape - the light waits for him.

Ken Rockwell is the only person to have photographed Jesus; unfortunately he ran out of film and had to use a piece of cloth instead.

When Ken Rockwell brackets a shot, the three versions of the photo win first place in three different categories

Before Nikon or Canon releases a camera they go to Ken and they ask him to test them, the best cameras get a Nikon sticker and the less good get a Canon sticker

Once Ken tested a camera, he said I cant even put Canon on this one,thats how Pentax was born

Only Ken Rockwell can take pictures of Ken Rockwell; everyone else would just get their film overexposed by the light of his genius

Ken Rockwell wanted something to distract the lesser photographers, and lo, there were ducks.

Ken Rockwell once designed a zoom lens. You know it as the Hubble SpaceTelescope.

On Ken Rockwell's desktop, the Trash Icon is really a link to National Geographic Magazine

When Ken Rockwell went digital, National Geographic nearly went out of business because he was no longer phyically discarding photos

Ken Rockwell's shots are so perfect, Adobe redesigned photoshop for him: all it consists of is a close button.

A certain braind of hig-end cameras was named after people noticed the quality was a lot "like a" rockwell

Ken Rockwell isn't the Chuck Norris of photography; Chuck Norris is the Ken Rockwell of martial arts.

Priceless.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I never even heard of Ken Rockwell until this thread came along. Don't think I've missed anything.

Meanwhile, am I the only one around here who likes his X-T2 more, every day, in every way?  From the built-in horizon check to the rapid focus lock, this camera thinks like I do; and that's all a person can ask for in my humble opinion.

I never even heard of Ken Rockwell until this thread came along. Don't think I've missed anything.

Meanwhile, am I the only one around here who likes his X-T2 more, every day, in every way?  From the built-in horizon check to the rapid focus lock, this camera thinks like I do; and that's all a person can ask for in my humble opinion.

I Love my  X-T2  and my Nikon D7200  wonderful cameras

Tom G  Scotland

• 3 years later...

A professional is just someone is is able to sell his work.  That is the only difference between professional and amateur  .  Neither are necessarily the best photographer .  I have read review with KR and I will agree that photographers blame lenses when pictures are not sharp but in almost all cases it is the guy holding the camera.  Enlarge your photos 100% 200% and you will often see camera shake, or it may be focusing on choice of aperture that causes the problems .  

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/19/2017 at 7:04 AM, jmfitamant said:

wow , if ken would see this ! i had a good laugh !!!

• 2 weeks later...

I watched Ken Rockwell's review of the X-T4 on youtube. See link below. He was finding almost everything wrong with the X-T4 (which is kinda good to know if they are really wrong). However, at the 13 minutes 27 seconds mark, he started to complain that the red color of the letter "A" on the speed dial was too dark. At that point, he has TOTALLY lost credibility as far as I am concerned. It seems like he was paid by some corporation to trash the XT4.

I won't buy the XT4 because I will miss many good shots due to the letter "A" on the speed dial being too dark ! LOL !!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdqVPWXENVc