Ken Rockwell X-T2 Review... X-T2 not really for Pro's

Patrick FR

High ISO jpegs are still much better from my old Canon 6D. Fuji's low light jpg's look like cheap camera shots, noisy and all smeared.
The new XP2 and XT2 have a several year old Sony sensor...
They should have gone a FF way from the start.. A full frame sensor at 16mp would have been a monster killer..
So, yes if you want efficient camera to do (typical) weddings etc, Fuji may not be considered a pro camera.
For casual and street shooting it is great. I've had x100s, xt1, xp2 and now xt2... 
After having shot with the xt2 I realize that i overpaid for it, the camera is not much better than its predecessor...

Let's see......here's what Ken says.

AF too slow and clunky

Color not good for landscape but good for people

Bad ISO dial design

Bad Menu system

Too big especially with the EF-X500 flash

Better to use dslr like D3300 or SL1 for pro work than the X-T2

Hmmmmm......any Pros here. What are your thoughts?

Buyer's remorse? Essentially it's just higher mpix, slightly faster AF and oh....the turbo charged battery grip. :D

Still, the X-T2 is a good camera, I just really don't like the fact that you need the extra battery grip to unlock the full potential of the camera, while on the other hand Olympus just released a new camera that is so impressive that makes every single other one from their company look like flying pieces of turds.

The X-T2 essentially feels like a slightly upgraded X-T1, I feel no need to buy it, it doesn't change much of from the X-T1 to value the extra money in it. Plus, the X-T1 still remain an excellent camera, it has a few weaknesses in faster moving subjects but ISO stuck at 6400 but that aside, it really is an enjoyable camera.

Ken Rockwell uses Nikon D3300 and his recommended settings is JPEG BASIC and image size SMALL (6Mpix) because "The default of JPEG Normal wastes twice as much space in your computer" and "Since the pictures look the same at BASIC, I use it so more pictures fit on my card, and more importantly, I don't clog up my computer and everything transfers, copies and sends twice as fast." and "I'm serious: even at the Small setting you've got 6 very sharp megapixels, which is more than enough to print at any size if your photo is in focus in the first place."

He also said "The NORMAL, FINE and NEF RAW modes are for people who don't mind fitting only 12 images on a card. The pictures really do look the same; try it and see if you're curious. I did, which is why I shoot JPG BASIC."

So, it is the same that I will say that my doctor is not "pro", I can choose my medicine myself!

Ken Rockwell uses Nikon D3300 and his recommended settings is JPEG BASIC and image size SMALL (6Mpix) because "The default of JPEG Normal wastes twice as much space in your computer" and "Since the pictures look the same at BASIC, I use it so more pictures fit on my card, and more importantly, I don't clog up my computer and everything transfers, copies and sends twice as fast." and "I'm serious: even at the Small setting you've got 6 very sharp megapixels, which is more than enough to print at any size if your photo is in focus in the first place."

He also said "The NORMAL, FINE and NEF RAW modes are for people who don't mind fitting only 12 images on a card. The pictures really do look the same; try it and see if you're curious. I did, which is why I shoot JPG BASIC."

So, it is the same that I will say that my doctor is not "pro", I can choose my medicine myself!

Despite his self promoting 'pro' advice, reading his reviews and articles smacks of nothing more than an enthusiastic amateur trying desperately to come across as more... but then with alarming regularity he will state an opinion as fact, that flies in the face of reason, or real working practices. 

Still, the X-T2 is a good camera, I just really don't like the fact that you need the extra battery grip to unlock the full potential of the camera, while on the other hand Olympus just released a new camera that is so impressive that makes every single other one from their company look like flying pieces of turds.

The X-T2 essentially feels like a slightly upgraded X-T1, I feel no need to buy it, it doesn't change much of from the X-T1 to value the extra money in it. Plus, the X-T1 still remain an excellent camera, it has a few weaknesses in faster moving subjects but ISO stuck at 6400 but that aside, it really is an enjoyable camera.

In my experience the X-T2 is much more than a slightly upgraded X-T1. I don't know if you've shot with one in a professional context, but I shot my last pro motorsports race entirely with an X-T2 last month, something I could not have done with my X-T1. Whether that meets your requirements for the significance of an upgrade, that's up to you to determine, horses for courses, as they say. All I can say is my pro Canon gear is going up for sale...

The AF is not slightly faster, it's signficantly faster....particularly particulary AF target acquisition and tracking.

Maybe, but for someone who could live with the X-E1 auto-focus, and is happy with the X-T1 ergonomics, the X-T2 is basically a waste of money.

His tune will change when there is sufficient stock of the camera.   Until then he will harp that another camera (that is well stocked) is the best choice and everyone should buy it through his links to reputable dealers, from which he will get a small percentage.

Edited by Scott Grant

Maybe, but for someone who could live with the X-E1 auto-focus, and is happy with the X-T1 ergonomics, the X-T2 is basically a waste of money.

Isn't that true of basically every upgrade of any product?  If the new features aren't interesting to you than upgrading is a waste of money.

I would hope that people who are upgrading are doing so because the new features *are* something worth buying to them.