Peak Design Everyday Sling

I received a review (protoype) copy of this bag yesterday. Full review will follow soon, currently too busy with the baby and all that.

If you have questions about it you'd like answered, feel free to ask. I'll be testing it as my standard layover and travel bag and comparing it to the ThinkTank Retrospective 5.

The Kickstarter is over, but you can still pre-order one here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/peak-design/the-everyday-backpack-tote-and-sling

First impressions after one day of heavy use.

Pro:

Superb build quality. Above and beyond anything else, even considering this is a handmade prototype.

Sits slightly higher and in a more central position on my back, more comfortable to wear for longer periods than the Retrospective.

Water repellent to a good degree, which came in handy in a shower yesterday. The Retrospective would have been completely soaked.

Con:

Looks modern and utilitarian, if you're looking for a hipster bag, this is not it.

Still slightly too big for my taste, but I never travel with a tablet. Those of you who do, will find the size just right. It fits a Surface Pro 3 with keyboard.

How many cameras/lenses do you manage to fit into it? I currently have the awsome Peak Design Everyday Messenger 13" and it fits my X-T2, X100T, 50-140, 10-24, 35 (f1.4) and 56 with extra batteries, tripod and tablet. I would want to consider this as a bag for a smaller kit if it fits the X-T2, X100T and 2 small/medium sized lenses (everything except the >55mm zooms).

Edited by Opteron

Yesterday I had the X-T2 with 35f2 attached, 16 1.4, 50-140 and a battery pack in it, with plenty of room to spare. I could easily have taken the X100T as well. The 50-140 fits perfectly standing up.

I liked the Everyday Messenger too, but felt it was too big. This one is far more suited to mirrorless systems.

Yesterday I had the X-T2 with 35f2 attached, 16 1.4, 50-140 and a battery pack in it, with plenty of room to spare. I could easily have taken the X100T as well. The 50-140 fits perfectly standing up.

I liked the Everyday Messenger too, but felt it was too big. This one is far more suited to mirrorless systems.

Sounds great, thanks!

Did you try to 13" or 15" messenger? I'd say the 15" is too big for mirrorless indeed, but the 13" is perfect with 10cm depth on the bottom fitting fuji lenses with lenshood attached nicely.

Some reference shots to gauge the size with a mirrorless kit. This is just the bag sitting on my desk, how I came home yesterday.

In it is the X-T2 with 35mm attached, 50-140mm on the right, 16mm on the left, below the "shelf", I had a battery pack in it too, and room left for another lens/X100T and/or a small bottle of water. In the inner pocket there are 3 X-T2 batteries, 1 X100T battery, lens pen, some batteries for film cameras, and some spare memory cards. The outer pocket was empty and folded flat. It is expandable if needed.

On the bottom, I attached my Gitzo 1541T as this is where you would store it if needed.

I normally travel with far less gear, but I had a portrait shoot yesterday and needed everything in the bag. The bag folds flatter, the less gear you put in it, which is nice.

Better shots and impressions will follow in the full review.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

And the interior...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Sadly, I had to cut ties with Peak Design due to their Faroe Island endorsement, so I won't be testing any further products by this company, or publish anything about their products from this point on.

Since I now also have to replace the Slide Light for my X-T2, I'd be happy receive suggestions for an alternative solution. It may be a tough one, because the Slide Light product is quite good. However, I cannot look the other way.

Sadly, I had to cut ties with Peak Design due to their Faroe Island endorsement, so I won't be testing any further products by this company, or publish anything about their products from this point on.

Since I now also have to replace the Slide Light for my X-T2, I'd be happy receive suggestions for an alternative solution. It may be a tough one, because the Slide Light product is quite good. However, I cannot look the other way.

I have no idea what that endorsement is? Care to elaborate?

Before the Peak Design stuff, I used Blackrapid and DSPTCH straps, but they got replaced by the Peak Design stuff and I haven't looked back since. It's hard to find stuff that's utilitarian that doesn't feel cheap. And the fancy leather hipster straps look great, but are usually not as practical for my needs.

I am still very fond of the modular Lance camera straps, but they aren't that comfortable with heavier cameras and lenses (like the T2 with BG).

Agreed, and I like to strap a camera to my back and go for a ride on my bike, so my straps need to be easily adjustable so I can pull them tight.

They are endorsing tourism and workshops on the Faroe Islands on Facebook and in their blog (http://journal.peakdesign.com/nordic-shangrila). Having done plenty of research on this controversial topic myself, I obviously don't agree with their disclaimer (excuse), so that's a cut for me.

If this is about the whaling (which I totally agree on if you object to it), but then I'd hate to point out the obvious part where Fujifilm cameras are Japanese...

Yep, there is a big difference, though. But this isn't the topic here.

Agreed. I've read up on it, and I can't say I agree with your view of the question. But arguments on morality are better reserved for long nights at a bar, with a good bottle of Scotch close at hand.

Edited by Tom H.

Bought an Alta Photo for my XPro-2 with 16-55 zoom and 18mm prime. Currently carrying a Delorme Explorer in the 3rd compartment so plenty of room. Hoodman magnifier lives in top compartment with flashlifht. Envelope pockets have microfiber cloths, Xtra batteries (2) and tripod Quik adapter (for night setups).

There's a external pocket/slot for a monopod but I'm unhappy with the Aluminum one I do have. As this rig is for traveling/vacation I don't know what else I'd add.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Bought an Alta Photo for my XPro-2 with 16-55 zoom and 18mm prime. Currently carrying a Delorme Explorer in the 3rd compartment so plenty of room. Hoodman magnifier lives in top compartment with flashlifht. Envelope pockets have microfiber cloths, Xtra batteries (2) and tripod Quik adapter (for night setups).

There's a external pocket/slot for a monopod but I'm unhappy with the Aluminum one I do have. As this rig is for traveling/vacation I don't know what else I'd add.

For travel, that sounds more than plenty. If you want a good monopod, check manfrotto or sirui fluid friction monopods with extendable feet. Those are great for travel and video. Edited by Tom H.

I'll be in the following cities on the following dates. If anyone is interested in a photowalk, feel free to contact me. I'll bring the sling bag for testing, so you can check it out if you want to.

23/10 Rome

27/10 Budapest

16/11 Manchester

17/11 Manchester

24/11 Madrid

25/11 Hamburg

27/11 Tel Aviv

Try Velbon stuff : they have the best compact tripods I've ever used