10-24 for astro photography?

images102

Lonelyspeck.com said its not so good, but i dont think he really tested it.

I have it but have not tried astro yet. Fujifilm says it good for lowlight due to OIS, but you dont use that when astroshooting for 20 sec or so.

So i might report back on next clear night ;-)

Sent from my Nexus 6 mobile

The OIS is only usable for handheld shots, you don't need it for tripod shots. The 10-24 is allright for astrophotography but has a bit of coma (stretched stars at the edge of frame) and the f/4.0 doesn't really help. If you want a great astrophotography lens for a low price try the Samyang 12mm f/2.0 (also known as Rokinon or Walimex) which has almost no coma, chromatic aberration and a brighter aperture. 

I think on the Pro2 and T2, the extra stop of ISO to noise performance compared to the T1 helps bail you out a little bit on the f/4 aperture, but my go-to lens for astro among Fuji branded lenses remains the 23mm f/1.4. I own the 10-24mm, but haven't really tried it because I've been very happy with the 23mm for my purposes. If I were to go wider and start shooting more astro photos, I would almost certainly just buy a Samyang specifically for it given the low price.

Thanks everyone for your reply.  I have considered the Rokinon 12mm but am trying to carry less, not more.  That and the weight limit on cabin baggage for the trip limits what I can take.  (one of the reasons I switched to Fuji - much lighter than my Nikon gear!)  I have the XT-1 so I am not sure that in combo with the 10-24 would work as Nero points out.

Thanks everyone for your reply.  I have considered the Rokinon 12mm but am trying to carry less, not more.  That and the weight limit on cabin baggage for the trip limits what I can take.  (one of the reasons I switched to Fuji - much lighter than my Nikon gear!)  I have the XT-1 so I am not sure that in combo with the 10-24 would work as Nero points out.

The 12 is pretty small if that helps.

Then we can't help you ;)  The 10-24 isn't ideal but you'll definitely be able to take some nice shots in dark environments. It's up to you if you thin the extra lens is worth the money/weight. You could also consider the 12mm instead of the 10-24, it depends on how much wide angle you shoot. The lens is fairly easy to use without AF, but if you use it a lot you might miss it. Image quality wise the 12mm is great.

I have used the 10-24 for night sky photography quite a lot. Setting the camera to f4, ISO 3200 and 20s exposure gives you reliable results.

Admittedly, there is some minor distortion at the extreme edges, but if this is a problem, that can be cropped out.

I am also using a Samyang 8mm fisheye on night shoots. Similar settings, but you may need to keep the centre on the horizon level to avoid severe distortion. This may require some heavy cropping at the bottom. However, the angle is wide enough to still give you a very impressive sky.

• 2 weeks later...