X-T2 Focus Area Selection in Video mode

KenG

I have an X-T2 and I would really like to take advantage of the new autofocus functionality (AF-C in particular) while making movies. Unfortunately, I can't figure out how to adjust the autofocus focus points while in video mode and the camera is perpetually choosing the wrong subjects.

I can adjust the focus points in any other mode. However, as soon as I switch to video mode, the "Focus Area Selection" menu gets grayed out and the joystick on the back of the camera stops working. It doesn't seem to matter if I'm in AF-S and AF-C mode; in single point, zone, or wide/tracking mode; or if I have face detection on or off. My camera has the latest firmware (v1.0) and I reproduced this issue with multiple lenses.

I've watched numerous Youtube reviews of the X-T2 and watched as other people adjust the focus area selection in video mode, so I know it can be done! The people on Youtube always seem to just nudge the joystick to adjust the camera, but this has no effect for me.

What am I doing wrong? Thanks

You cannot change focus point while shooting video.  Hopefully this will change in time with Firmware updates, but like the XT1, that can't be done.  I don't believe you are seeing what you think you are seeing on YouTube.  If you can post the YouTube link to what you are referring to, I can see and maybe better comment on it.

You either have the camera in S focus mode and focus first then press the record button and the focus stays locked at that focal distance; or you put the camera focus in M and do the same by pressing the AF-L button .... or you put the camera focus mode in C and let it be fully autofocusing as you record (like a traditional camcorder).

While having the camera focus mode in M, you can change the focus while you record video by turning the lens focus ring.  Some lens respond quickly while you turn it, others respond very slow and are a nuisance to manual focus.  But keeping a close eye on the LCD is needed and for the most part, you can do pretty good getting subject in focus as long as your not shooting with a very shallow DOF.

With an adapter you can put other manufacturer lenses on your Fuji and using manual focus have some fun. I have a Nikon and Canon adapters (got them off Amazon for all of approx $30 each) and can put on the camera very old lenses.  They manual focus great.  They are a bit soft compared to the very sharp Fuji lenses ... but with video I find it a bit more forgiving.

Hope that helps.

I stand corrected on one thing.  One good thing that I just learned (actually I learned 2 things when testing on the XT2).

1st, put the camera focus mode in C but use the single point focus point, not the multi-focus point.  Then when you press the video record button, you can use the joystick to move the single focus point around and the continuous auto focus will follow that single focus point. So you can change focus point/location while recording video!!   I did not know that!  :)

2nd ... when the camera is in focus mode M (or the lens is in manual focus mode) you still get focus assist while recording video.  I think on the XT1 there was no focus assist while recording video.  So manual focus while recording video is much easier now.

A double win for us!

Hi Adam,

That was the missing step!

For those referencing this later: the specific configuration is under "Movie Settings" -> "Movie AF Mode" -> and then select "Area" to allow focus point changing while recording video.

Thank you very much!