XT2 : which flash ?

Goodjob

Be warned I suspect fuji have production problems with EF-X500. I purchased one the other day and it had a lot of movement in when in camera hotshoe. On closer inspection the locking device was only clamping properly onto the shoe one side. I returned the flash to retailer. They then went through all their stock 8+ flashguns from two different batches -  all had the same fault!

For this kind of money I would expect some form of quality control.

Retailer was very helpful and asked if I wanted to return for repair!

I gave the flashgun back for a refund!

Be warned I suspect fuji have production problems with EF-X500. I purchased one the other day and it had a lot of movement in when in camera hotshoe. On closer inspection the locking device was only clamping properly onto the shoe one side. I returned the flash to retailer. They then went through all their stock 8+ flashguns from two different batches -  all had the same fault!

For this kind of money I would expect some form of quality control.

Retailer was very helpful and asked if I wanted to return for repair!

I gave the flashgun back for a refund!

May have been that batch.  I have X500 flash (got it mid December) and it does not suffer from that issue.  I have found it to be a well built product.

I am confused by which flash to get too. The Fuji x500 is far too expensive for me and as far as I can tell there are no other cheaper alternatives that don't have firmware issues or feature restrictions... the nissins i40 and i60 have limitations that seem to mean no hss and the latest info I have found on the mecablitz m400 Seems contradictory, with some saying it does support hss on Fuji and others that say it does not.

I can't find any recent bloggs/posts or YouTube vids that help explain or show these flashes in detail for the x-t2...

A friend and I both changed to Fuji XT-2 recently and he got the Fuji EF-X500 and it exploded when he used it. He said it got really hot then just blew. I've taken the same advice as a poster above and gone for the Cactus triggers as recommended by Damien Lovegrove - work really well with both Yongnuo and Canon flashes.

I shoot manual off-camera.  If your looking for a good manual flash (No TTL no HSS) with group management and remote power control I can confirm the Godex TT600 and X1N combo work great up to 1/250 on my x-t2 with 1.10 firmware.  Just put the X1N in single contact mode per the instruction manual. Build quality is excellent and the transmitter is simple and functional and looks nice on the X-T2.  About $110 for the pair on amazon.

Edited by xc68000

• 2 weeks later...

Got the dust off EF 42 close up shots totally overexposed white out. In TTL on my XT2 the lens indication is stuck on 35mm. On daylight fill-in at more than 2meter it's fine, people stuff. On Wednesday a new set of batteries, subject monkeys free in nature but reasonable tame for food (just like), the EF42 fell out of the shooe, survived the drop but the batteries spilled out. The last of the batteries was seen in the mouth of a dear! little thing!!!!!

Sent from my SM-T715Y using Tapatalk

In comparing the 3 mentioned flash units I seemed to miss one important figure in the debate - the GUIDE No.   The expensive Fuji -500 is GN 10 higher than the Nissin and Metz.  Power in flash guns matter  Yes or No. I cut my teeth on the Mecablitz 202 and the power house of mobile flash the Braun F800.  But never forget the humble bulb flash great power just outlawed for press use.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Has anyone tried the recently updated Roboshoot with the Metz M400? If so, does the M400 need to be the Nikon variant or does the Fuji version work for in-camera control, TTL and HSS?

Took delivery of the updated Roboshoots today. Using with X500 though, not the Metz. So far everything working great - TTL exposures spot on. Only one small thing was a bit strange - I had the camera set to ISO 200 and f16 but the flash showed ISO160 and f14; of course this had no impact on exposures. Sorry for not answering your specific question.

Edited by albireo_double

• 11 months later...

my EF-42 is very fast, compared to the EF-X20   :-(

I'm not joking :  when set in full TTL mode it recharges in less than a second, while the EF-X20 takes at least 4 seconds, up to 10 seconds after few shots .

This is expected though, given the different battery set of each ( 4AA vs 2AAA) .

May I (politely) ask why the EF-42 is slow for you ?  What are your settings ?

Btw : I own EF-42, EF-X20 and Meike MK320 .  All of them have pros and cons.

Thanks for asking!  The EF42 (which of course I don't have in my hands right now) charges super slow for me.  The flash exposure also varies wildly!  One image could be dead on perfect, the next one could be 2-3 stops underexposed, and some are just black frames.  I'm honestly at wit's end with the darn thing.  I've tried shooting it in manual, setting the shutter speed manually, and I can't seem to nail it.  Whereas my Nikons were just amazing to work with.  I'm thinking of looking at a Canon flash -- maybe that'll be better;  I don't want to spend a ton of money as I only use flash as a last resort.  If you have any ideas, I'd be thrilled to hear them (from ANYONE)!

The metering mode you have the camera body in will affect how the flash works.  Shoot a stationary scene with the flash in TTL and try shooting that scene in each of the cameras metering modes.  Try this with different scenes. It will show you how some metering modes produce very inconsistent or less desirable results when others work well.

I have the X-500 and it works quite well for recycle and lighting the subject.  Much like my old Nikon SB800 and SB900's when on a Nikon body.

Remember that if your flash is blasting lots of power, recycle time will be slow compared to the next pic you take in a different scenario where the flash may only blast at 1/32 and have instant recycle.  And full charged batteries makes a difference.  I always use rechargeables and always have them fully charged when going to use the flash.  After I've banged off approx 50 pics (more or less) in the same day I usually swap the batteries for freshly charged batteries.  Keeps the flash working the best.

Sono confuso da quale flash ottenere troppo. Il Fuji x500 è troppo costoso per me e per quanto posso dire non ci sono altre alternative più economiche che non hanno problemi di firmware o limitazioni di funzionalità ... i nissin i40 e i60 hanno limitazioni che sembrano significare non hss e il le ultime informazioni che ho trovato sul mecablitz m400 sembrano contraddittorie, con alcuni che dicono che supporta hss su Fuji e altri che dicono di no.

Non riesco a trovare nessun blogger / post recenti o video YouTube che aiuti a spiegare o mostrare questi flash in dettaglio per x-t2 ...

Perché non provare il flash godox. Ho comprato 2 di loro esattamente per Fuji e sono perfetti

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQhj2dwj-wQ Edited by bergat