S-Speed not displayed in Aperture Priority

NPR

Hi there,

Long time viewer of this forum, first time post.

I may have a problem with my new X-T2. I also currently own an X100s and X-Pro2.

When setting the camera to aperture priority with Auto ISO the camera display fails to show the shutter speed it's selecting with half-depressed shutter button. This is with the option for aperture/ISO/s-speed selected in the display customisation window ticked (I've even cycled the option to see if it engages, and note once ticked you are supposed to get all three, not just two). Both the X-Pro2 and the X100s previewed the anticipated shutter speed in this mode. Fairly important information in Aperture Priority and seems more of a bug than something forgotten since page 67 also details the Aperture priority screen with shutter speed visible.

Or am I'm missing something?

Cheers

Nick

Love the camera BTW.

Edited by NPR

You're probably in DR Auto mode.

Change your DR mode to 100%, and that should sort you out.

edit: just saw that you're not even getting SS even when half-pressing shutter release. that's definitely not normal.

sounds like you need to factory reset.

Edited by oscillik

Nick, I don't think it has anything to do with the DR mode, it's probably a menu selection, difficult to track down. When viewing a picture does the SS show when viewing the picture details?

But yes a "Setup Reset" should sort it out! You may also try to contact Fujifilm Support, in the UK they are very good at responding to queries.

If you do find the reason be sure to let us all know, good luck!

Edited by Mike G

Solved.

Santtu, you're on the money.

When the Shutter AE option is off, the anticipated shutter speed is no longer displayed. Switch it on, and there it is!

Just to confirm, toggling Auto ISO or Dynamic Range setting didn't change the display of the shutter speed. Great advice though.

You'd think that this being my third Fujifilm camera I'd be able to identify that.

Thanks for everyone's kind and patient input.

Regards

Nick

Edited by NPR

I have checked several times and when in Aperture priority and in auto ISO and before pressing the shutter button the SS is not shown, but half press the shutter button and the SS appears. Take the ISO dial off auto the the SS is shown. That is what happens on my X-T2 and the screen/VF is showing the max ISO and not the ISO at the point of taking the shot! Am I missing something here?

Solved.

When the Shutter AE option is off, the anticipated shutter speed is no longer displayed. Switch it on, and there it is!

Just to confirm, toggling Auto ISO or Dynamic Range setting didn't change the display of the shutter speed. Great advice though.

You'd think that this being my third Fujifilm camera I'd be able to identify that.

Regards

Nick

May I ask why you switched off ae-lock in the first place? I know many do this because they read somewhere that "it's recommended", but I find it quite the opposite.

Unless you are shooting prolonged bursts of moving subjects or rapidly changing lighting conditions, I suggest you keep this on. You can always switch it off if you find yourself shooting those subjects, but afterwards I'd always put it back to on.

I think the whole "this is recommended" thing comes from sports or wildlife shooters who most likely will want to keep this off most of the time. But for all other shooting needs, I fail to see the benefit. (same goes for backbutton focus, try giving your camera to a stranger and having to explain bbf to them...).

May I ask why you switched off ae-lock in the first place? I know many do this because they read somewhere that "it's recommended", but I find it quite the opposite.

Unless you are shooting prolonged bursts of moving subjects or rapidly changing lighting conditions, I suggest you keep this on. You can always switch it off if you find yourself shooting those subjects, but afterwards I'd always put it back to on.

I think the whole "this is recommended" thing comes from sports or wildlife shooters who most likely will want to keep this off most of the time. But for all other shooting needs, I fail to see the benefit. (same goes for backbutton focus, try giving your camera to a stranger and having to explain bbf to them...).

I shoot a lot of concerts and on stage light is changing constantly and dramatically, and usually I use center af point to focus and reframe or even, using af-c, lock focus on a musician and wait for right moment or expression on his face. So while I do all that, lighting may have changed completely and with locked ae exposure will be completely off, so it's better for me when camera constantly picking right exposure, even while autofocusing.

• 3 years later...
On 10/10/2016 at 5:06 PM, NPR said:

Solved.

Regards

Nick

I've seen shutter AE referred to here, but I'm new to Fuji and don't understand if this refers to the AE-L button or the AE/AF-LOCK MODE setting in the menu, or the INTERLOCK SPOT AE & FOCUS AREA setting in the menu. 

I think I'm having the same issue: I have a manual lens on my X-T1 and cannot seem to get the camera to show me which shutter speed or ISO it's choosing.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

As of 2023 AutoDR is the culprit….same on all my fuji cameras, all formats, all with current firmware versions. Switch Auto Dynamic Range OFF and all settings selected automatically by the camera are displayed in the viewfinder during shutter half-press…including aperture, shutter speed, and ISO.  It’s a strange phenomenon in my opinion but a fair compromise, even if you rely on jpegs and can live with DR200 option rather than AutoDR